Pressure Washer ... is 25 bar too high?

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
The Norse SK25i portable pressure washer is currently at £75 on Amazon, it seems to have decent power, price, and portability.

But it only has one setting. If I stand-back a bit and use the least aggressive nozzle setting will it be okay, or should I get one of the lower-powered portable cleaners?

Bear in mind I don't have a pressure washer at home, I'm in a flat, so this will be my main washer.

smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CZZKHQS

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Theres a video in the amazon review. Personally if its an ebike I wouldn't use it. If its a normal bike I'd chance it standing back and being careful around bearings and seals. Its way too high pressure though.
Personally I use one of these, its 130 psi and decent enough for the money.

I'm still quite careful around the motor area with it though.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s kinda funny that on our street we can see the evidence of anyone who has just returned from a ride and washed their bike. (When it’s not raining).
Most everyone uses the shower-mode on the spray noozle, then scrubs any heavy debris from the bike, or themselves, with a brush. I only use compressed air, during repairs, carefully.

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Well, it's only a portable pressure washer, not some landline monster, and about the same pressure as the one-power-level Hydroshot.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Find a big puddle …peddle really fast …
CD8F7D28-9594-4CCF-9D1F-9344FD766750.jpeg

…and rinse repeatedly.

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
On Wiggle a lot of complaints of the Mobi leaking, that was one reason I wanted the seperate-bucket Norse.

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and go for the expensive two-power Hydroshot.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I use a Bosch Fontus when out at the trails before coming home. It’s got a 15L tank, 3 power settings, and 4 different nozzle settings. There’s also a brush attachment, which I’ve never felt the need to use yet. I’ve had it for almost a year and a half

There is a setting that’s like fine rain - which is perfect for loosening the dirt. A quick spray with Muck-Off, wait a couple of mins, then rinse with a more direct jet (still with low power).
The water pressure from my hose at home is much higher than the setting I use on my bike - other than wheels and tyres!

My criticism is that it’s pretty heavy when loaded with 15L of water… but I lift it into the boot and strap it in with some bungees. I use it from the boot - so don’t even lift it out again until it’s empty!

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Bosch Fontus is £200. 😳

I use a bucket of hot soapy water and a watering can of cold water (from the water butt).

Honestly I'm getting to the stage where I'm going to do this, 20 litres of off-cold water in a travel container with me to the trail with a basin and a watering can.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
what's wrong with a regular water hose and a brush.

do not understand why you should have an expensive high pressure washer, I would at least never use any kind of high pressure washer on my bike even if the supplier says that it is suitable for bicycles

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
what's wrong with a regular water hose and a brush.

do not understand why you should have an expensive high pressure washer, I would at least never use any kind of high pressure washer on my bike even if the supplier says that it is suitable for bicycles
Quite. Pete @Bearing Man who repairs motors for a living & whose word I trust completely has said on here that no commercially available motor is fully sealed from water ingress & that to design them that way would make them prohibitively expensive or impractical to use on bikes. If you wreck your motor with a pressure washer, it's not Karcher who picks up the bill.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Quite. Pete @Bearing Man who repairs motors for a living & whose word I trust completely has said on here that no commercially available motor is fully sealed from water ingress & that to design them that way would make them prohibitively expensive or impractical to use on bikes. If you wreck your motor with a pressure washer, it's not Karcher who picks up the bill.

absolutely probably he have right that no motor i water safe, I still think the chance is even greater that water enters the engine with a high pressure washer than a water hose.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I really like the Brush Hero Wheel Brush. It's a rotating brush that's continuously doused with water. Water pressure at the bike is pretty much zero, but you still rinse off the muck that you're disturbing with the brush.

Back on Amazon after being unavailable for a while. Here.

Don't leave it out in the frost through, I split the handle and have had to buy another one.

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
And your bike probably cost over £5k!! It’s an expensive sport / hobby 😂😂

£3.5k and I almost kinda regret not getting the £2.7k one. But that doesn't mean I need to breezily pee-away £200 on a thing if I don't really need that thing.

There are innumerable hobbies were people spend fortunes they don't need to, like ultralight hiking. You can spend well over £5K on that and not have any measurable benefit (just status/swag/brag/chestglow) from a very, very carefully chosen £350 worth of kit.

I'm going to spend every penny I need to on this bike, but not one penny more.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve personally tested the Rail 9.7 Bosch motor to a water depth of 0.583333 fathoms (107cm), temperatures between-15*C to +38*C, atmospheric pressure of 14.6959 lbs but I have no idea how many Pascals that would be or how the motor preforms in outer space or 0 gravity…yet. 😉.

I try to take precautions with electrical connections though. “Try”.

Edit; wait, I think I’ve experienced zero-gravity just before I crashed. 😬

Last edited:

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Handy little thing, though water tank is small View attachment 85916

I use one as well.
The brush attachment is perfect for bikes as the water dribbles through the brush at almost no pressure, but will wet the bike enough to wash off all the mud easily.
Ideal if you carry your bike in your car/van and want to clean the bike before you go home.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles