Pressure Washer ... is 25 bar too high?

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
I just pressure washed my ipad as I had some finger prints on the screen but now it dew fbsdj Weibo 3 322 89dsb d ; s%%

This kinda literally happened to me on Ben Lomond. Glorious cloud-free 30 degree summer day, a hoolie blew in, sky went "this forum background" grey, rain came on not measured in inches but fathoms, most if it sideways. Five minutes later it was gone and the sky was blue again. But my One Phone X, which was in my pocket, drowned and after that only half-booted into an Asian language and that was that. So I bought a non-brand (Armor) "rugged" phone, and that thing resists water well, I've used in in many downpours.

No iPad variant is waterproof, but the iPhone 7 and later is (technically water-resistant, IP67 or IP68 depending on model), and there are plenty of non-Apple rugged tablets, the Oukitel RT1 is a beast of a unit.

But if my bike is only as waterproof as an Apple iPad, well, Scotland is the wrong environment for it. 😋

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
£3.5k and I almost kinda regret not getting the £2.7k one. But that doesn't mean I need to breezily pee-away £200 on a thing if I don't really need that thing.

There are innumerable hobbies were people spend fortunes they don't need to, like ultralight hiking. You can spend well over £5K on that and not have any measurable benefit (just status/swag/brag/chestglow) from a very, very carefully chosen £350 worth of kit.

I'm going to spend every penny I need to on this bike, but not one penny more.

You’re absolutely right - you don’t need a £200 pressure washer for your bike. You can quite easily use a bucket of water, or a garden hose to wash a bike.

I’m a very difficult person to buy presents for as I generally just buy myself what I need / want when I want it. When my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas last year - I picked something that I thought would be useful, that I probably wouldn’t buy myself!

I’ve spent years cleaning my bike (analogue and emtb) at home after travelling back from the trails. The dirt is stubborn and dried on and then I have to wash my bike rack afterwards as the mud has run / dripped everywhere. Being able to clean my bike thoroughly at the trail saves a lot of time and effort.

Thinking back a few years when I used to use a roof rack - I had a giant weed killer bottle with a pump that took about 8L of water. Not quite as convenient as a battery operated device - but it did a reasonable job of getting most of the dirt off before sticking the bike on the roof.

I guess that maybe falls into the category of why spend £200, when a £15 large spray bottle would do?

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
I have a Mobi 17 pressure washer, rechargeable battery or plugs into what used to be called the cigarette lighter. I use it for cleaning dogs as I have a dog walking business and the pressure can be adjusted down to a fine mist which works for the dogs and my emtb. As always treat the motor area with care. I too live in a flat so it was my only option.

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
So I've bitten the bullet on a Mobi 17, £79.99. Only a fiver more than the wrong-too-for-the-job Bosch.
When you get it if the hose leaks at the connections to the main unit or spray gun disconnect it and turn the hose around as it only connects in one direction. From experience when you've used it disconnect the hose and empty it back in to the unit and don't leave it in a van over winter as the spray gun will crack when it freezes 🙄 otherthan that it's all good!

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I would use only from 300 meters. This is money wasted.
The more u wash the more problems U create.
I just use a dry rag to take off the excess.
Guess what?
I never experience any problem.

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Yeah, don’t wash your bike doesn’t really work in the UK for 11.5 months a year.

And that's anywhere in the UK on managed trails... much of my riding has been on boggy Scottish off-trail. Some of the trail bogs go anywhere from knee to thigh deep (as I can report from previous first-hand experience). As you say, not washing is not realistic for me. I tried a big clean with a bucket and sponge and it was stupid the amount of time and effort it took and I still didn't do it as well as I would have liked. And as I have said, a direct hose is not possible due to having a flat ("apartment").

I think our man OldFarts is from Quebec, if someone spits on the ground in summer they consider that localised flooding. :LOL:

This isn't a photo of me (obviously) but these are the conditions some of my tracks and trails are in.

SES-rnd-5-5634-810x540.jpg (810×540) (pcdn.co)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
And that's anywhere in the UK on managed trails... much of my riding has been on boggy Scottish off-trail. Some of the trail bogs go anywhere from knee to thigh deep (as I can report from previous first-hand experience). As you say, not washing is not realistic for me. I tried a big clean with a bucket and sponge and it was stupid the amount of time and effort it took and I still didn't do it as well as I would have liked. And as I have said, a direct hose is not possible due to having a flat ("apartment").

I think our man OldFarts is from Quebec, if someone spits on the ground in summer they consider that localised flooding. :LOL:

This isn't a photo of me (obviously) but these are the conditions some of my tracks and trails are in.

SES-rnd-5-5634-810x540.jpg (810×540) (pcdn.co)
That's worst I've seen . Must admit this couple of months since I got motor number 3 I am trying to stick to remote hill tracks which are not so muddy to see if I can get more miles out of this one. Trouble is I go fairly remote it would be a long walk out if it conks again. But hey that's what I like. Nearly lost my boots last week in a bog scary. Enjoy the good spell of Scottish weather.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Saying that dust or dry sand is just as bad for the motor
I don't think so. I generally deal with dust. I mostly use a big very soft paint brush and an air hose. Sometimes I clean the bike with a mild solution of wash n wax - dip a wash cloth in the bucket, wring it out, then clean a section, rinse the cloth out in the solution and repeat for another section.

You guys who ride in that wet and muddy stuff most of the time - well, I just think you're keen. My maintenance would be a doddle compared to what you must have to do. I remove chain, rinse it off with hot water from the kettle, then soak it in melted wax - every 100km. The interval could be longer. Before each ride clean and lightly lube the up and down bits - wipe the oil dust mixture off after working things up and down. Blast out the calipers and a general dust. Check tyre pressures.

I only discovered the front wheel has loose bearings and greased them at about 2,800km; I got them just in time

Since using wax on the chain the drive train just doesn't seem to be wearing - 3,200km now. I service shock and fork every 750km. All my riding is steep descents and steep climbs with minimal undulating stuff.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I don't think so. I generally deal with dust. I mostly use a big very soft paint brush and an air hose. Sometimes I clean the bike with a mild solution of wash n wax - dip a wash cloth in the bucket, wring it out, then clean a section, rinse the cloth out in the solution and repeat for another section.

You guys who ride in that wet and muddy stuff most of the time - well, I just think you're keen. My maintenance would be a doddle compared to what you must have to do. I remove chain, rinse it off with hot water from the kettle, then soak it in melted wax - every 100km. The interval could be longer. Before each ride clean and lightly lube the up and down bits - wipe the oil dust mixture off after working things up and down. Blast out the calipers and a general dust. Check tyre pressures.

I only discovered the front wheel has loose bearings and greased them at about 2,800km; I got them just in time

Since using wax on the chain the drive train just doesn't seem to be wearing - 3,200km now. I service shock and fork every 750km. All my riding is steep descents and steep climbs with minimal undulating stuff.
I'm moving to Tasmania . I suppose we get used to wet or we wouldn't get out much. It's a treat in summer not having to wash bike nearly every ride. If really wet i stick to the woods more .

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Honestly I don't get the washing thing, its a mtb, it gets dirty. Over 4000 miles on 2 bosch bikes without fault, I don't bother washing anymore, its not a garage queen it gets dirty, when its cacked in mud I just get the hose pipe on the bike and blast away the mud.

I do clean the drive train properly and oil but the rest of the bike :unsure: life's to short.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
8 months of the year my bike comes back with at least a kilo of mud attached after each ride. Not washing it is just not an option in the UK.

Drive chain obviously gets a LOT more attention than the rest of the bike, but it all needs doing.

SUBcyclist

Apr 9, 2021
NoCar, USA
I live in an apartment/flat (US) with no place to connect a hose for water. So, I use Muc Off cleaner, a brush, and a tank sprayer which I bought from a hardware store; it sprays a good volume of water at a low pressure - perfect.

TankSprayer.png

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I live in an apartment/flat (US) with no place to connect a hose for water. So, I use Muc Off cleaner, a brush, and a tank sprayer which I bought from a hardware store; it sprays a good volume of water at a low pressure - perfect.

View attachment 86224
Aye can you nae hang a long hose òot the window . No seriously I use hose on sprinkle setting for wheels and just avoid motor area.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Aye can you nae hang a long hose òot the window . No seriously I use hose on sprinkle setting for wheels and just avoid motor area.
Utterly pointless. The motors get used In driving rain, mud, puddles and streams all the time. The front wheel fires water straight at the motor area. That’s what they are designed for. It’s not a problem. You’re not going to cause any issues sensibly washing it.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Utterly pointless. The motors get used In driving rain, mud, puddles and streams all the time. The front wheel fires water straight at the motor area. That’s what they are designed for. It’s not a problem. You’re not going to cause any issues sensibly washing it.
I'm on motor number three so I'm taking more care this time to see if it makes any difference. But I know what you mean . Any issues I had with not starting was always after washing it. Never any troubles on trails in very wet conditions the summer I got levo 2019 was a very wet summer.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
😂 The link to my motor repair site is in my signature below... be seeing you soon 😂

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
The thing is that they're not designed "good enough" to keep water etc out, or we wouldn't be seeing water ingress related failures. I'd be checking all the bearings in the bike if I rode in that slop. Again, you dudes are keen o_O

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
😂 The link to my motor repair site is in my signature below... be seeing you soon 😂
Haha. In fairness you're better qualified than me so I defer to your expertise! But there's no way I won't be riding in the wet, so I need to clean the bike. I don't use a pressure washer, I have a brush attachment for the hose (linked somewhere above), but it gets wet every ride 9 months of the year. Wiping with a damp cloth isn't going to cut it.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
You only chose to ride when it's raining in sunny Wilts? :rolleyes::p UK weather isnt great but even by our standards that's a slight exaggeration lol
My last two runs in past week have both been dry and that's no exaggeration. Looking good for tomorrow as well.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
My last two runs in past week have both been dry and that's no exaggeration. Looking good for tomorrow as well.
Mine too! been great. was quite a change to come home the other night and allowed in the house without hosing down in the garden! ha

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
I found a supplementary use for the big stainless dog water bowls left out at the local forestry commission trail 😉.
Barely anything to clean off the bike by the time i got home 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles