Pic of the Day

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I had an interesting day yesterday. Took the train to Ribblehead for an easy ride round Cam Fell
Then everything went pear shaped. My buddy’s chain jumped off, then we tried a short cut and met Mr Grumpy and his angry son who made turn round. Then I got a call about a family emergency and had to sprint back to make the next train, which had no room for the bikes. I got on and left my mate with both bikes to wait 2 1/2 hours for the next train
It all worked out in the end, except for the M-in-L who was finally admitted at 03.00

View attachment 124462 View attachment 124463 View attachment 124464 View attachment 124465 View attachment 124466 View attachment 124467
I was cycling around Horton in ribblesdale yesterday 👍
It was a tad warm though.🌞

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I had an interesting day yesterday. Took the train to Ribblehead for an easy ride round Cam Fell
Then everything went pear shaped. My buddy’s chain jumped off, then we tried a short cut and met Mr Grumpy and his angry son who made turn round. Then I got a call about a family emergency and had to sprint back to make the next train, which had no room for the bikes. I got on and left my mate with both bikes to wait 2 1/2 hours for the next train
It all worked out in the end, except for the M-in-L who was finally admitted at 03.00

View attachment 124462 View attachment 124463 View attachment 124464 View attachment 124465 View attachment 124466 View attachment 124467
So you sometimes meet the ( Get off my Land ) types. Not bad where I am to be fair. But the looks I get from some walkers a lot of folk anti bike.

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
Taken the other night. With the temperature we've been seeing in the UK this last while, thought it easier to go out at night. Was brilliant fun.
I've ordered a torch for my helmet, as realised going through trees at speed with just a fixed one is, erm, interesting
:ROFLMAO:

20230907_211326.jpg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My excuse for being knackered is age yesterday ride total 23 miles maybe 13 in eco and 1950ft elevation not that much really consideringhow tired i was. Turbo all the way back . It was very warm yesterday i blame that as well .Slept from 9 till 6 so definitely have a day off today haha . Need to get to royal deeside again maybe a blast at Ballater. Fungle and Firmouth maybe and night in the campsite at Tarland in my van . Charge battery and have a blast there.
I’m thinking of doing Heartbreak Ridge tomorrow morning, before the weather turns. It’s about 28degC in Aberdeen today, which is unheard of! I had my 4 year old along the beach on his bike this morning for a quick 4 miles end to end.
Don’t want to do too much today if I’m going to go round Heartbreak Ridge twice tomorrow.
Last time I felt exhausted on my second climb. This time I’ve got a range extender 😂

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Early( ish ) start for myself today ..to avoid the " worst " of the heat and also a
20230909_103101.jpg
s I have my son to ferry about this afternoon ( new student digs ) ...
A ride of two halves to avoid the 5 mile slog ( climb) on tarmac in the middle of the Bolts Law loop in the North Pennines .
So a there / beyond & back to Bolts Law ..then transporting the bike to Blanchland for the loop over to Slaley Forest & back on the Carriers Way ....
The Lead Mining Trail ( Bolts Law )
20230909_101806.jpg

20230909_102414.jpg
20230909_104951.jpg

Part 2 ..The Carriers Way
20230909_123237.jpg
20230909_123354.jpg

Still got more than a little sweaty..
Still waiting for my boy to get in touch ..no doubt nursing a house-warming hangover from last night !
Youth of today ..I never did..😎🤗

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
I’m thinking of doing Heartbreak Ridge tomorrow morning, before the weather turns. It’s about 28degC in Aberdeen today, which is unheard of! I had my 4 year old along the beach on his bike this morning for a quick 4 miles end to end.
Don’t want to do too much today if I’m going to go round Heartbreak Ridge twice tomorrow.
Last time I felt exhausted on my second climb. This time I’ve got a range extender 😂
I'm in Montrose, we're just not used to these temperatures :p
Went for a jolly round to St Cyrus and around today, just 20 miles. Think I've lost a couple of kgs with fluid loss .....

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Taken the other night. With the temperature we've been seeing in the UK this last while, thought it easier to go out at night. Was brilliant fun.
I've ordered a torch for my helmet, as realised going through trees at speed with just a fixed one is, erm, interesting
:ROFLMAO:

Yep you need one pointing where you’re going and one pointing where you’re looking. Some folk I ride with go to far though and look like a UFO 😂

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Heartbreak Ridge yes I remember that one. Enjoy it.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'm not a small fella, that's not helping. But, I've never been a fan of the heat. I'm looking forward to the colder weather :p
15 St myself saying nothing. I did 24 miles yesterday eco for 14 maybe on eco and a fair bit climbing. It felt OK on bike but obviously heat drained me a bit. Slept all night from 9 till 6 no whisky consumed. Get out there 😄

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was doing some off-piste today linking up Sherwood Pines, the National Coal Board area and Vicar Water. I was exploring, so my route was not planned. I was skirting one section that is boggy all year round and I heard what sounded like a woman calling for help! It turned out to be a 13-year old boy who had ridden his motorbike into a section of deep mud. He was panicking and was passed his knees in mud. The bike later proved to be immovable, as though it was chained down.

When I got to him, I learned that he had thought the flat dry mud surface was concrete. He was well stuck and had been there half an hour. It was very hot, he had no shade, no water, no phone and was being assaulted by flies. I cut down a sapling and laid it out and he managed to walk out. He was very thirsty, and a bit frightened, although he was trying hard not to show it. I had a phone, but no signal. The lad didn't even know a phone number that I could ring once I had got a signal. He was bloody lucky that I was passing as he could have been there for hours. No idea what condition he would have been in then.
Here is the bike with one sapling in place.

Mudbike.jpg

I got him out of the sun, gave a him a drink and cut four more bushy saplings (Birch, I think). The idea was to lay a firm(ish) path for us both to get out there and retrieve the bike. What a waste of time that was the bike was well and truly rigidly stuck! It felt as though it was chained to the bottom of the mud patch. If I had persisted, there might have been two of us needing help.

By this time, he had stripped off his body armour, helmet and gloves, his white body was starting to go pink. I kept telling him to go lay down in the shade, but he was more concerned about his bike than anything else. I told him that nobody would be nicking that bike, it would need a big 4-wheel drive and plenty of strong rope to retrieve it.

He started to feel unwell and had a headache, dehydration I think, so I gave him the last of my water and made him lie down in the shade. I reassured him that I would be back and went in search of a signal. I had just enough of a signal whilst with him to get a "What Three Words" location. I phoned for the Fire Brigade, but ended up with the Police.

It seems that somewhere along the way, the lad was now stuck in mud up to his neck! Well, that was the message that the Fire Brigade received!

What turned up was three Police cars, a "Drone Pilot", three Forest England guys each in their own vehicle, another car that may have been the drone pilot's car. One of the policemen told me that they had served the lad and his bike with a Section 35 for riding on private property without permission. That means it's a warning and if either he or the bike gets another Section 35, the bike will be confiscated. Seemed harsh.
Mixed in with the other vehicles was a big pick-up truck that looked 4wheel capable. In addition to that there were two First Response people from the NHS. I begged a bottle of water from one of them. The lad asked if the Fire Brigade would be getting his bike out he was told that the Fire brigade have more important things to do (see later).

When I biked over to where my car was at Vicar Water, along the way there were two ambulances parked up on the trail (probably the First Response people). When I got to Vicar Water there were two Fire Engines sat in the car park! They must have been there for nearly an hour. There was a transit van parked in front of them with a couple talking to the firemen. I asked if they were the lad's parents. They were and I then spent the next 20 mins being quizzed by the fire brigade and the parents. They had no idea where he was. While I was with the lad, I made it clear to him that going out without anyone knowing his route was dangerous. Not having any water on the hottest day of the year was stupid! Not even knowing a phone number to ring was not smart. I told his parents this, in the hope that they would ensure he was equipped next time. Not sure they were listening.

I suppose if the emergency services were looking for a lad up to his neck in mud in the middle of a forest without nearby roads, then the full turnout was appropriate. I have never seen as many before, even when five houses in my village got burgled in one night.

I will be out there again on Wednesday, I wonder if the bike will still be there? And if not, who took it?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I was doing some off-piste today linking up Sherwood Pines, the National Coal Board area and Vicar Water. I was exploring, so my route was not planned. I was skirting one section that is boggy all year round and I heard what sounded like a woman calling for help! It turned out to be a 13-year old boy who had ridden his motorbike into a section of deep mud. He was panicking and was passed his knees in mud. The bike later proved to be immovable, as though it was chained down.

When I got to him, I learned that he had thought the flat dry mud surface was concrete. He was well stuck and had been there half an hour. It was very hot, he had no shade, no water, no phone and was being assaulted by flies. I cut down a sapling and laid it out and he managed to walk out. He was very thirsty, and a bit frightened, although he was trying hard not to show it. I had a phone, but no signal. The lad didn't even know a phone number that I could ring once I had got a signal. He was bloody lucky that I was passing as he could have been there for hours. No idea what condition he would have been in then.

View attachment 124509

I got him out of the sun, gave a him a drink and cut four more bushy saplings (Birch, I think). The idea was to lay a firm(ish) path for us both to get out there and retrieve the bike. What a waste of time that was the bike was well and truly rigidly stuck! It felt as though it was chained to the bottom of the mud patch. If I had persisted, there might have been two of us needing help.

By this time, he had stripped off his body armour, helmet and gloves, his white body was starting to go pink. I kept telling him to go lay down in the shade, but he was more concerned about his bike than anything else. I told him that nobody would be nicking that bike, it would need a big 4-wheel drive and plenty of strong rope to retrieve it.

He started to feel unwell and had a headache, dehydration I think, so I gave him the last of my water and made him lie down in the shade. I reassured him that I would be back and went in search of a signal. I had just enough of a signal whilst with him to get a "What Three Words" location. I phoned for the Fire Brigade, but ended up with the Police.

It seems that somewhere along the way, the lad was now stuck in mud up to his neck! Well, that was the message that the Fire Brigade received!

What turned up was three Police cars, a "Drone Pilot", three Forest England guys each in their own vehicle, another car that may have been the drone pilot's car. One of the policemen told me that they had served the lad and his bike with a Section 35 for riding on private property without permission. That means it's a warning and if either he or the bike gets another Section 35, the bike will be confiscated. Seemed harsh.
Mixed in with the other vehicles was a big pick-up truck that looked 4wheel capable. In addition to that there were two First Response people from the NHS. I begged a bottle of water from one of them. The lad asked if the Fire Brigade would be getting his bike out he was told that the Fire brigade have more important things to do (see later).

When I biked over to where my car was at Vicar Water, along the way there were two ambulances parked up on the trail (probably the First Response people). When I got to Vicar Water there were two Fire Engines sat in the car park! They must have been there for nearly an hour. There was a transit van parked in front of them with a couple talking to the firemen. I asked if they were the lad's parents. They were and I then spent the next 20 mins being quizzed by the fire brigade and the parents. They had no idea where he was. While I was with the lad, I made it clear to him that going out without anyone knowing his route was dangerous. Not having any water on the hottest day of the year was stupid! Not even knowing a phone number to ring was not smart. I told his parents this, in the hope that they would ensure he was equipped next time. Not sure they were listening.

I suppose if the emergency services were looking for a lad up to his neck in mud in the middle of a forest without nearby roads, then the full turnout was appropriate. I have never seen as many before, even when five houses in my village got burgled in one night.

I will be out there again on Wednesday, I wonder if the bike will still be there? And if not, who took it?
Makes you wonder doesn't it what's the world coming to. You did your bit well done

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland

View attachment 124509

Well done Mr.Sordy ..

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales

View attachment 124509

Enjoyed that. Thanks for the write up.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

View attachment 124509

Thanks for the write up. Really good story and very glad you came along. If riding in the back country, one should always be prepared.

Not to go off topic, but it could be relevant in a situation like this. Has anyone tried the SOS feature on their IPhone 14 or newer? Supposedly you can text message for emergencies and it will provide the text and your location to the proper authorities. I’ve often worried how I would handle things if something happened and I was 15 miles from the trailhead, such as an out and back ride on the Arizona Trail.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Thanks for the write up. Really good story and very glad you came along. If riding in the back country, one should always be prepared.

Not to go off topic, but it could be relevant in a situation like this. Has anyone tried the SOS feature on their IPhone 14 or newer? Supposedly you can text message for emergencies and it will provide the text and your location to the proper authorities. I’ve often worried how I would handle things if something happened and I was 15 miles from the trailhead, such as an out and back ride on the Arizona Trail.
I sometimes carry a PLB I got it for sea kayaking but it is acceptable to use it in the mountains. You would have to activate it though in an emergency. Stava has something that locates your last known location to a fee text numbers . In theory plb is satellite so should work ?????

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

View attachment 124509

What a story, thanks for sharing. Well done.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
My ankle is finally back to where I can ride the trails I like. This pic is off of Deliverance on Burke Mountain. Its a Double Black trail where this stump is just damp difficult to get around!
deliverance stump.jpg

The video of the trail can be seen here The stump is around the 1:40 minute mark. It looks WAY easier that it is!

For my own viewing pleasure, this is the "drop" that grave me a grade 2 sprained ankle a while back when my foot slipped off the pedal cuz it wasn't placed properly and when I fussing to get it back into the right spot, I did a slow plop dropped to flat. NOT recommended!
ridden art 01.jpg

ridden art 02.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My ankle is finally back to where I can ride the trails I like. This pic is off of Deliverance on Burke Mountain. Its a Double Black trail where this stump is just damp difficult to get around!
View attachment 124610

The video of the trail can be seen here The stump is around the 1:40 minute mark. It looks WAY easier that it is!

For my own viewing pleasure, this is the "drop" that grave me a grade 2 sprained ankle a while back when my foot slipped off the pedal cuz it wasn't placed properly and when I fussing to get it back into the right spot, I did a slow plop dropped to flat. NOT recommended!
View attachment 124611

View attachment 124612
I’ve only rode deliverance a handful of times. Definitely a double black and well above my pay-grade. Had to walk a few parts …those were sketchy. Well done 👍🏻

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles