The EMF & The Hodge's Big Day Out !

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Not particularly for the size of the route although it was a none too shabby 21+miles with over 3000ft of climbing ...nope ..the reason for the term big day out was that it was the first time either of us had been accompanied by another ebike rider without at least another rider on a normal mtb ( pet hate is the term acoustic so you'll never catch me using it ?) ...
It was bloody awesome !
Riding out of Allendale in the North Pennines the weather conditions were near perfect ..blue skies but a little bit blustery ..from past experience though I knew the ground conditions would be a little moist in places ..if we were having a drought they still would be ..and so it turned out .
A few pics ..
A chimney on the Carriers Way/ smelting flues track from the areas Lead mining days
20201125_104017.jpg

A couple of beasts venturing out to see who was making all the noise
20201125_104429.jpg

Dryburn Moor was next which is the exact opposite of its name and a screaming descent on the road to pass through Ninebanks ..to the main challenge of the day ..the climb up the rocky track to Ouston Fell..
Mr EMF ..was off like a whippet and only had one dab ..while I stalled on a couple of occasions as the sun was in my eyes ?..
If this looks steep believe me its still steeper than you think ..
Looking back ..
20201125_114226.jpg

Still to do ..
20201125_114245.jpg

Next came a track from Clargillhead down to Moscow which was probably even rockier still ..but both bikes were well planted and just lapped it all up ..the track from Moscow up to the road started of a little muddy but soon got a whole lot worse
20201125_121359.jpg

20201125_121830.jpg

We then came to the Bike Wash section which leads in to a great descent down to Parmontley Plantation ..spoilt this time around with every gate being closed ( a lot of the time they are open ..still great fun though)
Wayne's first thought was to push this section ..but got about 5 yards and decided to ride it anyway..
20201125_123019.jpg

All that was left was the huge road climb back up Keenleyside Bank and a return back to Allendale ..
A great ride out ..my thanks to the EMF for his good craic & company ..what next I wonder ?

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
This was the best ride by far on my Ebike, great company, great trails and good weather. What’s not to like ?
Not particularly for the size of the route although it was a none too shabby 21+miles with over 3000ft of climbing ...nope ..the reason for the term big day out was that it was the first time either of us had been accompanied by another ebike rider without at least another rider on a normal mtb ( pet hate is the term acoustic so you'll never catch me using it ?) ...
It was bloody awesome !
Riding out of Allendale in the North Pennines the weather conditions were near perfect ..blue skies but a little bit blustery ..from past experience though I knew the ground conditions would be a little moist in places ..if we were having a drought they still would be ..and so it turned out .
A few pics ..
A chimney on the Carriers Way/ smelting flues track from the areas Lead mining days
View attachment 45530
A couple of beasts venturing out to see who was making all the noise
View attachment 45531
Dryburn Moor was next which is the exact opposite of its name and a screaming descent on the road to pass through Ninebanks ..to the main challenge of the day ..the climb up the rocky track to Ouston Fell..
Mr EMF ..was off like a whippet and only had one dab ..while I stalled on a couple of occasions as the sun was in my eyes ?..
If this looks steep believe me its still steeper than you think ..
Looking back ..
View attachment 45533
Still to do ..
View attachment 45534
Next came a track from Clargillhead down to Moscow which was probably even rockier still ..but both bikes were well planted and just lapped it all up ..the track from Moscow up to the road started of a little muddy but soon got a whole lot worse View attachment 45536
View attachment 45537
We then came to the Bike Wash section which leads in to a great descent down to Parmontley Plantation ..spoilt this time around with every gate being closed ( a lot of the time they are open ..still great fun though)
Wayne's first thought was to push this section ..but got about 5 yards and decided to ride it anyway..
View attachment 45538
All that was left was the huge road climb back up Keenleyside Bank and a return back to Allendale ..
A great ride out ..my thanks to the EMF for his good craic & company ..what next I wonder ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles