Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
On my second ride tonight (40 miles total from new) a bolt fell out 👌 bumped into another kenevo rider on the hills whilst walking home and he said the same had happened to him and his son. Mmmm

View attachment 112724
mmmm maintenance.

Pays to check all your bolts especially on a new bike. They are subjected to quite a hard life so things vibrating loose isn't too uncommon.

DaveG01

Mar 27, 2023
Shills
Turned into a Ebiker Dave! That’s the flip chip bolt/bush missing. Sure Berkshire cycles could help you out.
It's going back to the bike shop where I bought it. Their plan was to nip everything up after six weeks of use. That's come quicker than they suggested to me

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
On my second ride tonight (40 miles total from new) a bolt fell out 👌 bumped into another kenevo rider on the hills whilst walking home and he said the same had happened to him and his son. Mmmm

[Deleted pic of missing bolt and flip chip]

When I bought my bike, I took everything out and locktightened everything that should be....very little had threadlock applied where needed. Greased/lubed everything else.

Torque itself does not hold for long under vibration. Check this video out for fun, I used plenty of these nord-locks on cars, and I still mark every nut and bolt when building...: I especially thread lock my through axles....., just a dab though especially when going for epic days or traveleling.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
Anyway, rumor is Specialized Mahle 1.2 motor will be announced the 5th, 50nm of torque (too much IMO) and NOT backwards compatible. Even if it was I doubt Specialized would sell as an upgrade or even software block it like they did for the mastermind....

DaveG01

Mar 27, 2023
Shills
When I bought my bike, I took everything out and locktightened everything that should be....very little had threadlock applied where needed. Greased/lubed everything else.

Torque itself does not hold for long under vibration. Check this video out for fun, I used plenty of these nord-locks on cars, and I still mark every nut and bolt when building...:

Torque itself does not hold for long under vibration. Check this video out for fun, I used plenty of these nord-locks on cars, and I still mark every nut and bolt when building...: I especially thread lock my through axles....., just a dab though especially when going for epic days or traveleling.
It's gone back under warranty anyway and they have accepted it as their fault. The parts aren't in stock and are a long wait (months) so a whole bolt pack has been ordered under warranty by the shop

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
It's gone back under warranty anyway and they have accepted it as their fault. The parts aren't in stock and are a long wait (months) so a whole bolt pack has been ordered under warranty by the shop

At that point I would be demanding a replacement bike or a refund. It's not like there's a shortage of ebikes to buy right now

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
Does anyone run a FOX 40 200mm fork on KSL?
What modifications did you have to make in order to keep it very rideable? How do you like the upgrade? Is the turning snappier or laggier?

johned

Jul 30, 2022
UK
Can anyone recommend a Shimano XT compatible narrow/wide chainring that will fit 94 BCD on my KSL?
(I understand from the Wolf Tooth website that SRAM narrow/wide is not compatible with Shimano chains).

Update - I'm wondering if I need to change the chainring mount as well but I can't work out what mount is required so any advice most welcome.

Thanks very much,
John

Last edited:

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Can anyone recommend a Shimano XT compatible narrow/wide chainring that will fit 94 BCD on my KSL?
(I understand from the Wolf Tooth website that SRAM narrow/wide is not compatible with Shimano chains).

Update - I'm wondering if I need to change the chainring mount as well but I can't work out what mount is required so any advice most welcome.

Thanks very much,
John
We fitted a wolftooth ring and a KMC x12 chain to my girlfriend's bike. 0 issues so far.

Reactions: Dax

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
SL 1.2 ....... Yes it will ........

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I really hope Specialized offer an upgrade to the 1.2 for the KSL. Love it, but the motor is noticeably weaker when riding with mates on their Orbea Rises. The 1.2 would definitely be a welcome upgrade and one I would make. Buying a whole new bike with the pace everything is changing would not be an option though.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Doesn't sound like there will be an upgrade path. Are people commonly unhappy with the power on the KSL?
I am fully satisfied with the power, in fact the only time I use Turbo is when I ferry my young boy on Shotgun seat and just want to make the whole trip just easy ride :- ).
But I would kill for the noise reduction. I love absolutely everything else about the bike. 2 years owner, and still absolutely in love, this will be my dream bike for decade.

Olivier Clg

Nov 15, 2021
France
The engine power is more than enough for my use. The KSL would be really perfect if the engine could be quieter. His squealing is really tiring. Well, on the other hand, I know it works when I turn it on... 😄

iamanej

Apr 3, 2023
Slovenija
I will have my motor replaced next wednesday. When I asked if I will get the 1.2 motor they said it is software-wise not compatible, but hardware-wise it is.
They did this intentionaly to piss off us with 1.1. So they would rather change a ton of motors with a new faulty ones even if they got a motor of a newer generation and could provide a newer one to their customers?!?!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Software can be changed. It will all come down to Spesh in the end. It's brand new, give them a bit of time.
Same. Happy with the power/torque, but hate the noise.
Same here, although I wouldn't say no to more power I'd actually rather have a bigger capacity battery.

I'm kind of expecting the Gen 2 KSL to come with both the new motor and a bigger battery, but not for a year or two.

Endurafrika

Jul 7, 2022
Cape Town
Software can be changed. It will all come down to Spesh in the end. It's brand new, give them a bit of time.

Same here, although I wouldn't say no to more power I'd actually rather have a bigger capacity battery.

I'm kind of expecting the Gen 2 KSL to come with both the new motor and a bigger battery, but not for a year or two.
They wont sell many KSL anymore with the 1.1 motor - my guess is S will bring out the updated KSL in '24 with the new motor - possibly earlier. To promote sales they may likely bring out a kit allowing KSL owners to convert to the 1.2.
Not sure about bigger batterie as i do not think they will re-design the bikes downtube.

Same here, 35Nm are enough for me - drop in noise would be great...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles