Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
Put the bolt thru the linkage and spacer on one side.. through the shock.. then try to wedge the other spacer in there.. you have to kinda pry the linkage apart to make space.

Freezer

Dec 12, 2022
SF Bay Area
Poll for Kenevo SL owners: Would you buy the bike again right now?

Background: I've been riding mtb for decades and still mostly ride analog bikes. I got an S-Works Turbo Levo about a year ago and have put about 1k miles on it, mostly on fireroad climbs to singletrack DH. I've been riding it less recently, however, because I've come to the conclusion that the DH on a 50lb. bike is just a lot less fun than on my enduro bike. So I've decided to sell the TL and am considering the Kenevo SL. Given similar newer offerings (Transition Relay, Siryon, etc.), would you get the Kenevo SL, or something else? Thanks!

Last edited:

MetroNeck

Aug 13, 2020
North Van

Background: I've been riding mtb for decades and still mostly ride analog bikes. I got a S-Works Turbo Levo about a year ago and have put about 1k miles on it, mostly on fireroad climbs to singletrack DH. I've been riding it less recently, however, because I've come to the conclusion that the DH on a 50lb. bike is just a lot less fun than on my enduro bike. So I've decided to sell the TL and am considering the Kenevo SL. Given similar newer offerings (Transition Relay, Syrion, etc.), would you get the Kenevo SL, or something else? Thanks!
Based on what is on the market today, 100% yes, and I have never been an S fan…

The bike has been great. There are just a few spots on some of my favourite routes that I could use a little extra juice.

I flip back and forth with my reg bike.

The upcoming Transition is very interesting, and given the choice I probably would have gone in that direction, but unknown available of parts/ warrantee response on the motor & battery would give me pause.

Forestal is also interesting, but again, how well it is supported in my area would be my #1 concern.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Based on what is on the market today, 100% yes, and I have never been an S fan…

The bike has been great. There are just a few spots on some of my favourite routes that I could use a little extra juice.

I flip back and forth with my reg bike.

The upcoming Transition is very interesting, and given the choice I probably would have gone in that direction, but unknown available of parts/ warrantee response on the motor & battery would give me pause.

Forestal is also interesting, but again, how well it is supported in my area would be my #1 concern.
Fazua doesn’t have any replacement motors, my buddies Pivot Shuttle SL motor shit the bed after a month. His shop was fighting with Fazua trying to get a replacement for weeks, Fazua finally told them they had nothing available. He ended up trading the bike for a Shuttle LT and the shop ate the difference in price.

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL

Background: I've been riding mtb for decades and still mostly ride analog bikes. I got a S-Works Turbo Levo about a year ago and have put about 1k miles on it, mostly on fireroad climbs to singletrack DH. I've been riding it less recently, however, because I've come to the conclusion that the DH on a 50lb. bike is just a lot less fun than on my enduro bike. So I've decided to sell the TL and am considering the Kenevo SL. Given similar newer offerings (Transition Relay, Syrion, etc.), would you get the Kenevo SL, or something else? Thanks!
I'm was same boat.. started with a full power.. it's too heavy for single track and bike parks even thought I still road it like a regular bike.. I would mostly ride my Spez Enduro at the DH parks even though I would have to push it up the Fire Roads. Selling both of those and have an S-works kenevo SL.. best thing ever

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I started with a Levo, went to an Orbea Rise, now in a Trek Fuel EXe. I thought the SL would not have enough range/power but my friend has one and I’d say its on par with the EXe. And yeah I’ve been able to test both on the same terrain!

I found the weight difference from the Levo to the Rise huge, and the rise has a lot of power. I bought my rise to small, and I prefer Trek/Specialized due to the wider available support in my local area (Canada).

I considered the Pivot SL but decided against it mainly due to the lack of support for the Fazua. Replacement parts/motors had a looong waitlist.

I’d totally recommend it, unless you ride with full power ebikes on boost mode all the time, then a sweet middle ground could be an Orbea Rise.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

Probably.

It’s a bit tricky to say, the KSL has a LOT going for it, it’s brilliant fun and feels a lot more bike than FF ebike, but doesn’t often feel like it needs more power. It’s also heavily discounted right now and would be hard to say no to something that fun at that much discount.

If it was full price, I’d be looking hard at the Transition Relay.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I would buy it again even though I am highly critical of the engine (due to the fucking noise).
But there simply isn't another bike like this, not even the Transition. There is technically that German Enduro brand I can't even remember name that put TQ motor but the geo isn't the same and has no adjustability and thus no option to run mullet. No one outside of German EnduroMag guys will probably even buy it..

But imho it's very specific niche bike for very specific user. I fully understand why few people buy it and even then most people sell it.
1) As e-bike, it's weak. But so it TQ and effectively Fazua too. But KSL will always be 20KG bike, not 18 as advertised. You can't have it as 18kg SL bike with proper tyres fitting the nature of the bike. The SL nature works less as concept here than it does with Levo SL. As little as 20perc. boost in power and battery capacity could help bridge this. I believe this will also prove to be problem for the Transition Relay, it will simply be too heavy for SL concept, ending up at similar weight as lighter Full Fats.

2) It's slack, not-jibby, a true full-scale lawn mover. It's not just the geo, it's the kinematic, the weight distribution, whole package. It's sled, DH bike park bike. Those who buy it because they will ride trails 90perc. of time, and only occasionally really push it, will be unhappy. This is nothing to do with e-bike category, it's same with people who buy heavy enduro bike when they would be happier with very capable trail bike.
Bike brands KNOW this, which is why Kenevo SL is effectively the only of its kind and Trek EXE, Pivot SL, Rise, etc.. are all one category below in aggressiveness.
I of course, also ride some relaxing XC trails when I just need to clear my head, but the whole experience is slightly comedic on bike like this :- ). It just feels wrong. Like I brought my Land Cruiser to toddler-version pump track.

I really hope there will be potential engine upgrade for KSL and LSL with next-gen, but if not, I will still keep my KSL as is for another 5 years.

I love it.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
This is interesting info from someone currently looking at ksl's, especially at their current price.
Anyone ridden both the kenevo gen2 and the ksl who can share ?
Ie would it make any sense to own both?

Last edited:

Freezer

Dec 12, 2022
SF Bay Area
I would buy it again even though I am highly critical of the engine (due to the fucking noise).
But there simply isn't another bike like this, not even the Transition. There is technically that German Enduro brand I can't even remember name that put TQ motor but the geo isn't the same and has no adjustability and thus no option to run mullet. No one outside of German EnduroMag guys will probably even buy it..

But imho it's very specific niche bike for very specific user. I fully understand why few people buy it and even then most people sell it.
1) As e-bike, it's weak. But so it TQ and effectively Fazua too. But KSL will always be 20KG bike, not 18 as advertised. You can't have it as 18kg SL bike with proper tyres fitting the nature of the bike. The SL nature works less as concept here than it does with Levo SL. As little as 20perc. boost in power and battery capacity could help bridge this. I believe this will also prove to be problem for the Transition Relay, it will simply be too heavy for SL concept, ending up at similar weight as lighter Full Fats.

2) It's slack, not-jibby, a true full-scale lawn mover. It's not just the geo, it's the kinematic, the weight distribution, whole package. It's sled, DH bike park bike. Those who buy it because they will ride trails 90perc. of time, and only occasionally really push it, will be unhappy. This is nothing to do with e-bike category, it's same with people who buy heavy enduro bike when they would be happier with very capable trail bike.
Bike brands KNOW this, which is why Kenevo SL is effectively the only of its kind and Trek EXE, Pivot SL, Rise, etc.. are all one category below in aggressiveness.
I of course, also ride some relaxing XC trails when I just need to clear my head, but the whole experience is slightly comedic on bike like this :- ). It just feels wrong. Like I brought my Land Cruiser to toddler-version pump track.

I really hope there will be potential engine upgrade for KSL and LSL with next-gen, but if not, I will still keep my KSL as is for another 5 years.

I love it.
Thanks for the well-considered reply, great food for thought. Thinking about the KSL holistically, perhaps the best perspective is not to compare it to a FF ebike, but to an analog enduro bike. From that perspective, the KSL is basically an analog enduro bike plus 10lb. that takes about half the effort to pedal. That may work well for my ebike use case, which consists of boring and tiring fireroad transfers between singletrack downhills. Trail rides and short access to downhills I'll continue to ride on my analog enduro bike. I just need to determine if the KSL offers enough of an increase in functionality over my analog bike to justify getting one.

Chickon1

Nov 8, 2021
FL
FYI on the one up dropper.. made no difference for me other than it's a good DP.. S4 180mm. I had 175mm fox

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Thanks for the well-considered reply, great food for thought. Thinking about the KSL holistically, perhaps the best perspective is not to compare it to a FF ebike, but to an analog enduro bike. From that perspective, the KSL is basically an analog enduro bike plus 10lb. that takes about half the effort to pedal. That may work well for my ebike use case, which consists of boring and tiring fireroad transfers between singletrack downhills. Trail rides and short access to downhills I'll continue to ride on my analog enduro bike. I just need to determine if the KSL offers enough of an increase in functionality over my analog bike to justify getting one.
EXACTLY :- ) !
If you even consider still keeping regular bike (I didn't lol, I just kept my pump-track hardtail), KSL may just be right for you.
I think it's not good idea to own both full-fat and KSL because that will very quickly make you dislike the KSL experience. But KSL only or KSL + Any kind of analog is good combo.
Similarly, I only ride alone 70perc. of time, 15perc. with wife who is on Levo SL, and 15perc. with very fit analog friends who were always and always will be 20kg lighter than me. I don't know anyone personally in my circle of friends with full-fat e-bike, so this was not a consideration for me.
Yeah one guy here claims he no longer needs KSL because he got so fit. But my philosophy is that the performance of SL bikes scales well with improving condition of the rider. The bike almost challenges you to ride on ever lower assistance, or turn it off completely on flats, etc. The fitter you get, the more mileage you get out of the bike. I really like that aspect, it keeps me motivated without being flustered but still lets me ride far more often and for twice as long as I used to on my enduro bike.
For me this is just evolution of normal bike.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
If you even consider still keeping regular bike (I didn't lol, I just kept my pump-track hardtail), KSL may just be right for you.
I think it's not good idea to own both full-fat and KSL because that will very quickly make you dislike the KSL experience. But KSL only or KSL + Any kind of analog is good combo.
Similarly, I only ride alone 70perc. of time, 15perc. with wife who is on Levo SL, and 15perc. with very fit analog friends who were always and always will be 20kg lighter than me. I don't know anyone personally in my circle of friends with full-fat e-bike, so this was not a consideration for me.
Yeah one guy here claims he no longer needs KSL because he got so fit. But my philosophy is that the performance of SL bikes scales well with improving condition of the rider. The bike almost challenges you to ride on ever lower assistance, or turn it off completely on flats, etc. The fitter you get, the more mileage you get out of the bike. I really like that aspect, it keeps me motivated without being flustered but still lets me ride far more often and for twice as long as I used to on my enduro bike.
Thanks @George_yt for the fine words. That's exactly how I feel myself.
Having KSL and Spesh Evo, keeping and loving both bikes.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got a KSL and a Rail. The KSL is the DH GOAT for me and totally worth the extra effort on the climbs. I didn't ride the Rail for nearly a year after buying the KSL and the first time I did was sheer comedy; soooo much power on the climbs but a real battle to get it back down again in comparison.
I'd buy another KSL in a heartbeat, I love the way it looks almost as much as the way it rides and as @Bearing Man said on another thread, you should buy with your heart, not your head.

That's not to say I wouldn't like a bit more power, but not too much; 45-50Nm would be plenty for those last climb slogs at the end of the day.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Thanks Zim for the shout out.

Really simple answer is if you have mates with FF that love turbo stick to that.

Otherwise KSL for everything else. It’s an amazing bike. If they can up the nm a little more that would make it the perfect bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I love the way it looks almost as much as the way it rides and as @Bearing Man said on another thread, you should buy with your heart, not your head.
Heh I was pondering whether I should have mentioned that or not but this is really true about this bike, it just looks so good :- )
I keep it right next to my (home) office table, so I can stare at it all the time. It's not just pretty for e-bike, it's pretty by itself period. I have mine for 18 months by now and I still can't get enough of how it looks. But I did have to stop myself from tinkering with it and wasting money and time. I really don't need to swap 200 euro Enve bars for 200 Euro Deity bars.. these bikes bring the worst of 1st world problems and privilege to light.

Doesn't hurt how much it visually (together with analog Enduro) take cues from older Demo, which I admired as kid beyond all measures.
Not sure I can agree with buying with heart ;- ) Those might be the ones on second hand market with 100-300KM on clock. It does warm the heart though.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I have the Levo SL and totally agree. It's a bike that you can push yourself physically with, see if you can do that climb on eco only, can you do a lap of your favourite trail with it off, see how far you can ride it with minimal assistance but also know that you have a bail out option if you really need it. I recently did a pretty challenging ride (for a non-Ebike) a few months back, 40km, 2200m of climbing, half of it black diamond rated and quite remote. I rode a fair amount of it off or only in eco, and still had 60% charge left at the end of it, but it was nice to know that if I was really struggling, I had the option to use more assistance. I does require some amount of self control, as it's very easy to just turbo it everywhere. :LOL:

Freezer

Dec 12, 2022
SF Bay Area
So basically it's a bike for fit riders who like pretty things? Could fit me well. I ride my analog bikes three times a week, and God knows I've acquired a long list bikes, airplanes, cars and women primarily because they look damn good. Of course, not all of them stuck... :ROFLMAO:

boltd

Subscriber
Feb 8, 2023
California
For those who want a smidge more power, can’t you fit in a smaller chainring? It’s not a huge difference, but should help.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
For those who want a smidge more power, can’t you fit in a smaller chainring? It’s not a huge difference, but should help.
It won't give you any more power, it would just change the gearing ratio and you would essentially have a lower range. So if you were wanting to get up the hill faster, this wouldn't help. If you went down to the lowest gear (the largest rear sprocket) you would be going even slower than before, albeit a bit easier.

Freezer

Dec 12, 2022
SF Bay Area
Looks like I'm joining the crowd boys. Hopped on a KSL at a bike shop to pedal it around for a bit and it felt great. Cockpit nearly identical to my Pivot Firebird but with 20cm longer wheelbase. Most of the time I kept the motor off and it felt like a proper analog enduro bike. When I pedal my Turbo Levo around with the motor off it feels like riding throuh mud! Spent some time pedaling in various boost modes with the brakes on hard and I'm fine with the motor noise. Noticeable but acceptable. Found an S-Works with 35 miles on it and will pick it up on Saturday. Standby for pics. :D:D:D:D

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Looks like I'm joining the crowd boys. Hopped on a KSL at a bike shop to pedal it around for a bit and it felt great. Cockpit nearly identical to my Pivot Firebird but with 20cm longer wheelbase. Most of the time I kept the motor off and it felt like a proper analog enduro bike. When I pedal my Turbo Levo around with the motor off it feels like riding throuh mud! Spent some time pedaling in various boost modes with the brakes on hard and I'm fine with the motor noise. Noticeable but acceptable. Found an S-Works with 35 miles on it and will pick it up on Saturday. Standby for pics. :D:D:D:D
NIce! Might as well join the party at the front of the line :cool:. The only issue is how long the warranty would be on a used bike. I think you get 2 years from the time of the original owners purchase date. Which components will you be changing first (everyone does, even on an SWORKS!)?

Freezer

Dec 12, 2022
SF Bay Area
NIce! Might as well join the party at the front of the line :cool:. The only issue is how long the warranty would be on a used bike. I think you get 2 years from the time of the original owners purchase date. Which components will you be changing first (everyone does, even on an SWORKS!)?
Yep, confirmed with Specialized that the lifetime frame warranty and 2-year components warranty transfers from the date of original purchase as long as you have proof of original purchase (receipt, etc.)

Good question on components, and luckily I already have most of the stuff. I'll swap in OneUp 180mm dropper, X01 mechanical derailleur (don't like AXS shifting), 40mm stem, my favorite WTB Volt saddle, and Assegai/DHR tires.

I had the LBS weigh the stock S4 bike and it was 42.15 lb. with pedals. The OneUp dropper and mechanical XO1 will save 200g, so it should be materially under 42 lb. ready to ride. Now I just have to resist the urge to go coil and increase weight! :rolleyes:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Yep, confirmed with Specialized that the lifetime frame warranty and 2-year components warranty transfers from the date of original purchase as long as you have proof of original purchase (receipt, etc.)

Good question on components, and luckily I already have most of the stuff. I'll swap in OneUp 180mm dropper, X01 mechanical derailleur (don't like AXS shifting), 40mm stem, my favorite WTB Volt saddle, and Assegai/DHR tires.

I had the LBS weigh the stock S4 bike and it was 42.15 lb. with pedals. The OneUp dropper and mechanical XO1 will save 200g, so it should be materially under 42 lb. ready to ride. Now I just have to resist the urge to go coil and increase weight! :rolleyes:
Hey that's greats! Sounds like you have it all figured out. I run an Ohlins TTX22M coil with Cushcore front and back on WeAreOne wheels which brings mine in under 45 lbs but its 99% black, which shaves at least 5 lbs off the overall weight (well... in pictures at least!). I hope you love it as must as the rest of us Kenevians :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles