Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Prob contaminated man. I usually spray the fuck outta mine when I question it with 98% isopropyl alcohol. Sometimes if you spilled oil bad on them you’ll need to soak the pads too. Not sure if degreaser would work but def not on the calipers, Would likely eat the seals and aluminum bits. If that doesn’t work give your rotor a light spin with some 2,000 grit sand paper if they’re glazed over but I’ve never needed that step.

or air in your brake lines

Yeah, I just wiped my rotors with alchohol and have in the past...They improve a bit, but the front just don't work as well as it did 100 miles ago...Pads are probably glazed. On fast DH hard on the front, it starts to get pretty loud (harmonics) and vibrates. It's as if it's fading on hard braking. At first I thought these brakes were great. Nice and modular, but they are more like on and off now.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Yeah, I just wiped my rotors with alchohol and have in the past...They improve a bit, but the front just don't work as well as it did 100 miles ago...Pads are probably glazed. On fast DH hard on the front, it starts to get pretty loud (harmonics) and vibrates. It's as if it's fading on hard braking. At first I thought these brakes were great. Nice and modular, but they are more like on and off now.
I changed the SRAM pads out for MTX pads and that improved the brakes markedly. Very consistent now although still unremarkable. I've been considering changing over to my Dominions for a while now but the change of pads helped the Code's enough to hold off a little longer.

Reactions: KSL

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
I put the MTX Gold on my bike, never liked SRAM brakes, but with the MTX pads, it's a huge improvement and I am going to keep the Codes that came with the bike.
Has anyone upgraded the rear rotor to a 220mm? Spacer you used?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I test rode a KSL today. As I suspected, it’s awesome down hill and adequate up hill. On flowing single track it’s faster than my Rail but on DH chunk it’s not as planted.
The seat tube is a PITA; I rode an S3 and with the post slammed the saddle was spot on but didn’t go low enough for my liking.
Not keen on the tyres at first but they grew on me. I’d still like a day on my normal tyres though.
I rode the same trails back to back with my Rail but my bloody Strava didn’t record so I’ve got no comparison times.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I test rode a KSL today. As I suspected, it’s awesome down hill and adequate up hill. On flowing single track it’s faster than my Rail but on DH chunk it’s not as planted.
The seat tube is a PITA; I rode an S3 and with the post slammed the saddle was spot on but didn’t go low enough for my liking.
Not keen on the tyres at first but they grew on me. I’d still like a day on my normal tyres though.
I rode the same trails back to back with my Rail but my bloody Strava didn’t record so I’ve got no comparison times.

There are many, myself included, that didn't have an outstanding experience on the KSL on the first ride, but this changed dramatically for us after rides 2, 3....

To me, it's ubber planted DH. One it's standout traits, IMO. It's a pure bobsled DH. So your Rail feels more planted? Suspension setup perhaps?

Those Butcher tires for me are stellar. 23.5/25 psi front/rear.

Yes, the seat tube sucks...Simple remedy is the 150mm OneUp post....Night and day better. Was the S3 a good size for you?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I agree that seat tube and seat post are PITA. Can't have saddle low enough, have to change it.
The front Butcher T9 is good and have excellent grip. But don't like the rear T7

• Helpful

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There are many, myself included, that didn't have an outstanding experience on the KSL on the first ride, but this changed dramatically for us after rides 2, 3....
Ride 1 was good enough. We sessioned trails I know well, so had plenty of time to get the bike set up. I even improved the Rail in the PM...
To me, it's ubber planted DH. One it's standout traits, IMO. It's a pure bobsled DH. So your Rail feels more planted? Suspension setup perhaps?
It's a super-chunky DH trail and to be fair to the KSL, it wasn't the bike I rode in the morning but the bike of one of the shop guys and it wasn't set up for me (he does weigh about the same but is way faster)
Was the S3 a good size for you?
I only tried an S3 but it looked to be right on paper and I wouldn't want it any longer. When I borrowed the shop guy's bike for the DH run it actually felt tiny compared to the medium Rail.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
It's a super-chunky DH trail and to be fair to the KSL, it wasn't the bike I rode in the morning but the bike of one of the shop guys and it wasn't set up for me (he does weigh about the same but is way faster)

It took me a few rides to understand how the KSL works, combined with new settings which after a few rides allowed the bike to simply plow chunky rock gardens with ease. Can't have those forks diving in that stuff. Get the hold-up nailed and it's pure bliss DH, IMO. I also experimented with DT Swiss and Maxxis tires and those also gave the bike new handling manners everywhere, but the stock alloy Rovals with Butchers have grown on me. They provide a lot of bump compliance at the sacrifice of some turning precision in my experience. I swapped back over to them.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Can someone with an S3 do me a favour please?

Can you fully slam the seat post and measure how much post is showing between the top for the seat tube and the bottom of the collar on the post and measure the length of the post below the collar as well? Thanks.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Can you fully slam the seat post and measure how much post is showing between the top for the seat tube and the bottom of the collar on the post and measure the length of the post below the collar as well? Thanks.
Didn't @Christian get his lower than standard with some reaming ?

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal

Just get the OneUp 150mm post...:oops:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That won't solve the issue I have though.

With the post slammed it's the right height extended for normal pedaling but doesn't drop as far out of the way as I'd like.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere

S3 with a 170mm axs seat post set 5mm above max insertion depth to avoid cracking carbon.
BB high position, HA neutral, 30% sag.
My height 178mm and this juuuuuust works for my legs. If anything slightly to long but doesn’t effect my riding.

Top of seat tube to bottom of collar 57mm
Top of seat tube to top of collar 91mm
Top of seat tube to seat rail 295mm- extended
Top of seat tube to seat rail 125mm- dr
Axs tube length 293mm to underside of collar (with small mod)

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Isn't 180 mm better, so you can get it lower when slammed down. And you can get the saddle still up enough when you need it?

The 150mm OneUp gets out of the way compared with the stock 150mm post that comes with the bike. It's night and day better in both the down and up position.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
"The OneUp Dropper post is available in 120mm, 150mm, 180mm and 210mm lengths and all can be shimmed down in travel by 10 or 20mm.

We've been obsessed with shaving every last millimeter from the latest OneUp post to give you the the shortest stack height and shortest total length of any dropper post. No other post can get your saddle lower."

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I haven't done it yet, but if my measurements are correct - I can just barely clear a 210mm Oneup on my S4 with the seat height that i prefer. The 170mm post that came with the bike doesn't really bother me EXCEPT in the super steep (-30-40% grade) segments of trail. Or sometimes on rollers where I am squashing the bike a bit and moving my position on the bike. Unfortunately, it's those scenarios where I least want the seat to impede me. I have a 210mm on my hardtail, but that's a 30.9mm sized post, so not easily swappable.

The only reason that I haven't done this mod yet was that I was consider the Aenomly Switchgrade as an option. Haven't seen any real world reviews of yet, but it's a cool concept and should alleviate the saddle position issues I think. It would raise the stack a bit on the seat post leaving less room to grow the dropper length though.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
"The OneUp Dropper post is available in 120mm, 150mm, 180mm and 210mm lengths and all can be shimmed down in travel by 10 or 20mm.

We've been obsessed with shaving every last millimeter from the latest OneUp post to give you the the shortest stack height and shortest total length of any dropper post. No other post can get your saddle lower."

Dude, you have got to stop obsessing over the One Up post. The 150mm One Up will not sort out the issue I have with the stock 150mm post. I need more drop and the saddle at the right height for pedaling. Fitting a dropper with the same drop as stock will not sort this out.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I feel you. I’ve hit my nuts in the saddle in situations like this ?
My worst experience (beyond nut bashing) was a segment called the "Elevator Shaft" at a bike park (mammoth). It's probably 25-30% grade straight shot through uber chunk and hub deep kitty litter volcanic pumice. I was going fine for the first 1/3 when, but then my shorts got caught on the nose of the saddle, where I was off the back of the bike. I couldn't disengage or get them on caught, so I basically fell off and tumbled down the rest of the way. Ego bruised and bike didn't enjoy the ride. Lower saddle height would have been the ticket

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Dude, you have got to stop obsessing over the One Up post. The 150mm One Up will not sort out the issue I have with the stock 150mm post. I need more drop and the saddle at the right height for pedaling. Fitting a dropper with the same drop as stock will not sort this out.

LOL.

How tall are you?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
1.77m, not that it’s relevant. I’ve ridden an S3 KSL and to get the seat in the right place for pedalling the post has to be inserted into the frame as far as it will go. When the dropper is fully down the seat is higher than I’d like. To fix that I need a longer travel post. Fitting a low stack height post with the same travel means that if the post is set for the lowest possible seat height when compressed the seat is too low for seated pedalling or if the post is set for the correct position for seated pedalling then the seat is in the same position as stock when fully compressed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles