New to Cube 140 tm 750

Carrots

Aug 26, 2022
Uk
Finally got my 140 after swapping my 160 order for the 140.
upgraded from a Merida e140 with all shimano so the Cube has new stuff to me.

Had a couple of 30 mile outings and finding the seat very uncomfortable , it’s too hard as standard and the front brake is a bit gutless compared to the back so might have some contamination on the pads or rotors still. Got up to 38mph downhill and had trouble getting it to stop.
Thought twin position maguras would be better.

Apart from that it’s a great bike, the sram gear shifting lovely
and those fox forks are perfect for me.

07836ECC-F4AE-435D-BAC4-4DCA9796B61F.jpeg

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
What made you decide on 140 over 160?
Great bike, I have the same issue with the saddle on mine, looking to swap it out for something that fits me better

Carrots

Aug 26, 2022
Uk
For the area I ride in I figured 29er would be better than 27.5 and the extra fork travel on the 160 was a bit overkill for me. I’m not in the bike park or too extreme so the better roll from the wheels is ideal. 56yr old trail riding xc

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
The saddle is very uncomfortable, it was the first thing I replaced on my 2021 140. It is the same saddle. Mine are Shimano XT 4 Pot, find them to be very good once bedded in the pads. Not used Magura’s before but I have tried SRAM and I am just so used to Shimano over the years I can’t get used to anything else.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Which saddle it is? My 2020 model has venec lite and it's the only stock saddle which I didn't replace.in my 30 years old history of driving mtbs

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I've got the 160tm with Magura MT7's on it and they're bloody amazing brakes. Literally stop on a dime stuff. Did the 140tm not come with the same? Agree that the saddle is horrendous and swapped mine out for a Charge Spoon. Far more comfy.

Carrots

Aug 26, 2022
Uk
Yes mine has the maguras 7 on it, I think the front pads needed bedding in more as on ride 3 they have improved.
had a speed sensor error already which was a bummer. Found the wheel sensor was in slightly the wrong position.
the speed shown on the display is a bit strange as it seems to jump around a bit and not be too smooth. Might be normal ?

Winchuff

Sep 16, 2022
Bristol, UK
Yes mine has the maguras 7 on it, I think the front pads needed bedding in more as on ride 3 they have improved.
had a speed sensor error already which was a bummer. Found the wheel sensor was in slightly the wrong position.
the speed shown on the display is a bit strange as it seems to jump around a bit and not be too smooth. Might be normal ?
I have a 2022 140TM.
That's not normal

Carrots

Aug 26, 2022
Uk
Strangely now I’ve ridden it the speed readings are ok .
So it’s back to normal for now, unless you count a massive rear blowout that’s damaged the rim and broken a couple of spokes 😔
waiting on a warranty decision as rim has flat spotted

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Can recommend the Ergon SMC Sport Gel saddle, stuck one on my '20 160 Stereo a week after getting the bike because the stock saddle is awful.

I have MT7's on a other bike of mine and they should be super sharp and powerful with the standard grey 8p pads, if yours are not holding then they are either contaminated or not bedded in.

For bedding in splash some plain water over the rotor and pads then ride at walking pace while dabbing the brake on and off every 1 second until the water has dried up, do that for about 10 mins and that'll do the trick. If they are contaminated then clean the rotor off with isopropyl alcohol and bin the pads and fit some new ones, some people have luck by cooking the contaminants off of the pads in the oven but I always just replace them for the sake of £15 or so because you know for sure they are good, just make sure the rotor is super clean before using new pads on it because you don't want to contaminate them again.

Last edited:

Carrots

Aug 26, 2022
Uk
Thanks for the mt7 advice, I rubbed the rotors and pad with ipa and the brakes are great now

Battery range is better than I expected, rode a 33 mile loop last night which would’ve killed my 500 bat, arrived home with 60% remaing

What are other owners finding ?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Thanks for the mt7 advice, I rubbed the rotors and pad with ipa and the brakes are great now

Battery range is better than I expected, rode a 33 mile loop last night which would’ve killed my 500 bat, arrived home with 60% remaing

What are other owners finding ?
I'm finding if you ignore the 'estimated' range, the actual range is great! Well impressed with it so far.
Creaky dry bearings though, done less than 150 miles and I'll need to change them out.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Always bed in your brakes!
My technique is, go in turbo and accelerate to 25kph then brake hard down to walking speed 15 or 20 times. It gets a good sweat up, and raises the eyebrows of anyone watching you. But it works extremely well.
Probably easier is to bike up a hill, then do it coming down again.
I replaced my Cube seat with an Ergon Sfc3. Much more comfortable, and pretty cheap too.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
instead of making a new thread I hang on here.

Got my 140 TM - finally and happy! :)

9C71D8A0-0BE8-4EC0-9953-B8B16723A260.jpeg

1st order in March for delivery June, arrived by surprise late May but with big scratch down to carbon layer. Hesitated but finally not taken. :confused:
2nd order end of May for delivery end August, arrived mid September, again with damaged painting. Low response in offering compensation at all. :cautious:

About to give up going for a Cube bike or new bike in 2022 at all I found one bei g just under delivery to a shop in Cologne. One call and three days later I picked it up and received a propper bike, very good introduction and basic setup. And in a side note the mechanic mentioned having tweaked the power socket. (y)(y)(y)

First ride for 10km to get used to the new bike and do fine tuning of the setup. Yesterday a 30km ride to the local forest and hills.

Size - L, 185cm tall, 85cm inseam.

Saddle - after reading all comments about the uncomfortable Venec I have to say that I have no complaints at all, even not a day later as being used to from the Selle Royal on my other bike.
First time having a dropper post I became quickly used to it and was to,d that it is okay to use it if older than 40.

Suspension - was a little soft at the beginning but with increased pressures and min. 20% SAG it became right for me.

Shifter - I‘m used to Shimanos, like grip shift and need to get used to SRAM shifter by thumb only. But precision is great.

Rear cassette - I had steep hills but still no idea where to use the 52 pizza platter.

Tires - yepp, these Maxxis glue to asphalt like poop to shoe. When passing the 25km/h and losing motor support or just rolling without pedalling it is slowing down like slightly breaking.

Brakes - the MT7 was very disappointing during quick round at the shop but it was promissed that it will get better while riding. In deed I have the impression that it took min 20 km until working well. So far no noise during braking - but dry weather only.

Handlebar - 800mm is a sailing boom and I will very likely go for 760mm. In the beginning my wrists started hurting and hands getting numb.

Pedals - I had some old Shimano XT pedals and just ordered HOPE F20.

Riding - compared to my old bio MTBs the front wheel is very present and it moves dust & dirt to face and mouth while riding.
Using otherwise a 2014 trekking bike with Bosch unit it is night and day compared to the new Smart System. Turbo mode was tried but is not my favourite, which is Tour+ for commuting to the trails and emtb for offroad.
What I feel difficult is to get a feeling for pushing the pedals in difficult sections, i.e. when standing up like being used to from bio bikes.

Kiox shutting down - happened a couple of times until I figured out that I pressed the off button while grabbing the handle bar in narrower position to get 760mm feeling.

Modifications - plan for handle bar and mud guard front (Fox long) and rear (not sure, would like to have something covering also area from lower frame part)

Looking forward to autumn rides!

My bio‘s

ED6D43B5-5744-4934-92D3-86B0366DC957.jpeg

33FD004B-F7D0-4843-93DF-65B65BCB3013.jpeg

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Now I have ridden more than 200km. Time for another resume.. Great bike, great fun and exercise!

Handle Bar
80cm are wiiiide and tend to hang on a narrow trail in a bush here and there with a good chance for sudden touch down.
Got used to the width and will not change to more rise or smaller bar.

Suspension
After riding an doing fine tuning on dampers and tire pressures it works very well!
Thanks a lot for the Thread 'Suspension set-up guides and info'
Suspension set-up guides and info
with this PDF guide
Bikerumor Suspension Setup Series: Full Series PDF - Free Download!

Magura MT7
Sometimes, very seldom some noise, but not to loud or whistle like. Braking performance improved a lot compared to first rides.

SRAM Shift
Like it a lot even if shifting up can be quite snappy(?) feeling.

10-52T cassette
The large 52T ring seems to be more for fun than use for maybe steepest hill in eco mode?

Venec Saddle
Not having had any probs with my backside. BUT after lifting the saddle a little for better pedaling the hip flexor started making lots of probs. The saddle was horizontal in mid position and moveing it a little bit forward this was solved.

Kiox 300 - Speed Settings
I noticed differences in speed and distance between my Venue 2 GPS smart watch (and a Garmin Dakota GPS) vs the Kiox 300.
The bike has rear tire Maxxis Minion DHR II, MaxxGrip/DoubleDown,, 2.4 WT which is 61-622. Cube or my dealer did set circumference to 2.359mm. Measured by paint spot on a block on the tire resulted in 2.290mm and explained the remarkable deviation.

Drive Modes
Turbo is not used much and in tricky uphills I still have some trouble dosing my legs power to ot get to much motor support in eMTB or Tour+. Perhaps I need to play a little with the settings of the modes by phone app.

Battery Range
With an average of 140W in mainly Tour+ I can go about 70km per full load (does such comparison make sense?).

Mud Guards
Anoyed by gravel into the face I installed the Fox Mudguard XL front and SKS Mudrocker rear - rear fitted only above the small connector tube, not between that tube and the tire.

Pedals
Installed the Hope F20 in blue. Not cheap but excellent quality and stable rest for my 46 / 12 feet.

Bottle Holder
Dealer mounted Cube cage „middle“ which is not good for the narrow triangle frame. Changed to Cube cage right side and that goes much better.

Next changes
Chain seems to be NX and plan to switch to X01 and get a spare cassette GX or X01 (much more expensive but supposed to last much longer???)

343A18A4-E685-4D15-838D-580D2D5B3248.jpeg 1C912008-F773-407F-8BE0-59535443C402.jpeg F02A4461-AC82-4097-BB26-FAE4B92622A9.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles