New Rise H30: ? First (& maybe 2nd ;-) upgrade?

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Hi folks - thanks to the great advice and info here, I've just ordered my first emtb, the Rise H30 (size Small, 160cm 64kg).
Hard to find in stock, and the H30 was the only option right now, so I'm assuming the brakes and tyres might be the first thing to upgrade - with any luck I can order and get them fitted before delivery.

So what's your top suggestions for both?
And is there something else I should think of as well or instead?

Riding will be Forest of Dean and local trails in Bath (UK) area for now, nothing too crazy, I'm coming back to MTB after a 30+ year break, so very unfit & rusty ;-]
Many thanks! Andy

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Don't rush to upgrade. Get used to the bike first, once you start getting fitter, faster, more adventurous, it will become a bit more obvious to you what you want/need to upgrade.

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
That's wise advice Tonybro, thanks, I hear you.
I'm also trying to mimimise changing things in the future, though, in part to reduce my own personal footprint of 'stuff'.
My thinking is, if I change things now at the bike shop build stage, I won't end up with something partly-used in a few months time.

For ex. I'm thinking to ask them to swap the Dissector to the rear and fit an Assegai on the front, as that combo should see me through summer and winter months, with any luck.
I'll stick with the fork and shock - for what I'm likely to do do I'm sure their capabilities will way outstretch mine!

Brakes though - not sure if the stock ones are going to be ok, or if it's worth changing now for XT levers and a 4-piston caliper?

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Tyres setup tubeless is a good idea. If you're going to see mud consider a dhr2 on the rear. A 203 rotor on the front would be a good starting point for brakes. See if they fit the bill and go from there.

The rest will probably be fine.

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Thanks Richridesmtb - yep, I'll def go tubeless, I did that on my current bike [and also fitted a DHR2 on that too ;-]
I'm hoping to use as much as I can from the stock setup, which is why I was thinking of moving the excisting Dissector from the front to the rear (and not using the Rekon at all)... but you're right, might have to look at a new rear at some point.

What sealant are folks going for now?
I used Muc-Off, but it's not been tested yet, as fortunately I've had no punctures.
Is there anything better now?

Re the brakes - are you saying to just change the rotor for now and see how I get on?

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Hi Andy. I was thinking you'd not ridden for a long time, but now you mention a current bike I might have been on the wrong track!

I would be tempted to try the 2 pot brakes with larger rotors as a starting point for brakes. Particularly because you're a lighter rider they may be sufficient. I'm about 30kg on you and I've got 4 pot XTs and a 203 rotor on the front. I find that works well enough but may be overkill for your riding (I'm not sure how sure how steep and sustained your downs are). Someone with a better understanding of your terrain may recommend the 4 pots.

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Hey Rich - yep, I used to do a bit of XC many years ago - my first full-sus bike was a Proflex, with polymer suspension ;-]
Then I had a beloved AMP B4 for a while. I gave up after injury, but started again just before xmas - and wow, things have changed!
So I got a Marin Rift Zone... and started changing bits :-/
Now I've been tempted by the lure of longer/easier rides, so the H30 is on the way, but I want to avoid the upgrade-fest I did with the Marin and just do the minimum at the outset, then simply enjoy riding and not tinkering ;-]

I won't be doing mammoth downhill rides, but I do like going to the Forest of Dean, and some of the runs there I'd like to be able to stop quickly on ;-)

Kamill

Apr 20, 2022
Massachusetts
I personally put the dissector on the rear and assegai up front, amazing setup. The rekon just breaks loose way to easily. If you don't go 4 pot brakes I'd say at the very least upgrade to 203mm rotors and get metallic pads. The 180 stock rotors are only meant for resin pads and the stopping power is a bit of a joke for an ebike.

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Thanks Kamill. Any recommendations for a 203mm rotor?
I'll probably keep levers & calipers as stock for now, and just update the rotors.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just a note to say I kept the Dissector on the front and it’s been a fantastic tyre, no complaints at all

It has been ridden in dry conditions since April this year though, so no wet slop yet

I did change the rear to a DHR II so no experience of the Rekon, it’s still in the boot of my car since collecting the bike!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Shimano RT-EM600 for the rear, comes with a magnet pre-installed, SLX SM-RT70 for the front

Funnily enough I’ve been looking for rotors with a built in magnet so was trying to find the correct Shimano code. However I need 6 bolt as they’ll be going on to Hope hubs. Anyone know if Shimano do the same rotor but in six bolt, or if a simple centrelock to six bolt adapter will work ok ?

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
ah, there's something more to consider... forgoing the assegai and getting a DHR2 :unsure:
Thanks Tubby G!
Everything points to swapping out the Rekon though... I've never riden it but seems no-one rates it

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
ah, there's something more to consider... forgoing the assegai and getting a DHR2 :unsure:
Thanks Tubby G!
Everything points to swapping out the Rekon though... I've never riden it but seems no-one rates it

The Rekon is probably absolutely fine in current dry conditions unless you’re riding really steep loose trails (for braking traction) but I read so many online threads of people changing them immediately that I was persuaded to change them and just stuck to what I know and went for the DHR II’s instead

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thanks Tubby G!

I also bought an Assegai but haven’t felt the need to change yet as the Dissector has been ace

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Shimano RT-EM600 for the rear, comes with a magnet pre-installed, SLX SM-RT70 for the front
Ordered both - thanks!
Can both rotors use the same type of pads? I put Swiss Stop pads in my last bike, any recommendations for pads for these rotors?

FLOCO

May 11, 2022
Manitou Springs
I did only a Shimano 203 rotor up front on my H30. I have metallic pads but decided to leave to resin ones on at first. They turned out to be fine. I’m 185 pounds on an XL with some very long and hard descents in Colorado and the brakes have been just fine. My girlfriend has an identical M sized bike that remains completely stock and my front brake is dramatically stronger than hers. I’m near twice her weight and ride much harder tho, so it works out well.

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Ah, that's good to hear, Floco - yep, I ordered 203 rotors, the ones Kamill recommended.
The only other change I'll make is to move the Dissector to the rear and fit an Assegai to the front (though I did find a sweet deal on some 4-piston calipers ;-p
I'm really looking forward to it... should be just over a week til it arrives :-]

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
Another here who moved the Dissector to the rear and fitted an Assegai. It was good, but the Dissector wore out the outside knobs really fast. They started tearing off. Apparently this is a known issue when pushed hard on the rear by a heavier rider (I'm 90kg + gear). I'm on a DHR2 rear now, no issues.

Also fitted 203mm rotors front (immediately) and rear (after 6 months). Fast wear on the stock Galfer rotors, my rear was done after only 2 sets of pads.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I'd upgrade the wheels. The stock ones are monstrously heavy, over 2300g. You can get a pair of hunt trail wide wheels for £300+ that will weigh 1850g or a nice pair of custom 30mm wheels for £400-500 and save a few more grams. Another dissector for the rear is good for grip with no weight penalty. Deore 6120 4 pot brakes and a 203mm rotor up front. A lighter bar with more damping, e.g. A race face next 35 or even an sl as you are so light (what I have).

Good luck :)

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Thanks Longfellow78, I hadn't considered wheels at all, but that's quite a weight saving!
I've ordered 203mm rotors front & rear, and yes, I went for the 4-piston 6120 calipers.
I haven't ordered new brake levers yet - I'll wait and see what it's like with the upgraded bits - any tips for replacement levers though? (preferably using the existing brake hoses)
I have a carbon Nukeproof bar on my existing bike which I might fit to the Rise - I figure any weight saved will help.
The delivery has been delayed... was meant to be here 2 weeks ago :-/

LoneStar

Jun 22, 2022
Atlanta
First must have was the brakes. Hated the ones spec'd. Changed the cockpit to things I had lying around (SDG saddle, Syntace stem and bars). Didn't really need to update the fork but got a new Lyrik at a good price so just had to :). Last upgrade was the dropper post. Put a OneUp on, so I was able to go from 150 5o 180mm of drop. Will likely look at wheels next year.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
tires (tubeless of course) brakes (cause they just suck) and contact points (quality; saddle, grips, pedals)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles