Rise H30 brake upgrade?

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I can't find any detail on the Orbea site, and some posts here allude to Centrelock on the H30. Can I just confirm please is it Centrelock hubs and rotors on the H30 as standard? Is that what everyone got? I've got one ordered and plan to change the brakes and tires when I get the bike home from the shop...

The suspension I'll actually give a chance :) mainly because I'll have to save for those upgrades lol...

The tiny little "c" in the wheel description is for centrelock.

Race Face AR 30c Tubeless Ready

• Helpful
Reactions: Zed

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Glad you're happy with it. Have to wonder though - are you one finger braking with it?

To be honest I'm not really sure, I've been biking for so long I have no conscious thought about it when I'm braking on the MTB :D If I had to make a statement in court I'd say probably 2 when I'm on a descent - just as I did when motorbiking or descending on the drops on the road/cross bike.

The EX does look really nice.

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
To be honest I'm not really sure, I've been biking for so long I have no conscious thought about it when I'm braking on the MTB :D If I had to make a statement in court I'd say probably 2 when I'm on a descent - just as I did when motorbiking or descending on the drops on the road/cross bike.

The EX does look really nice.
These are probably the sort of bikes where I don't really need 3 fingers on the grip all that much I if I'm honest; but it's what I'm used to now, and I guess it's why I like properly powerful brakes. Hadn't really thought about it until now.

Jfive

Mar 27, 2022
USA
Easiest upgrade..

2x 203mm Rotors (that are known to be compatible with sintered pads)
Center Lock Magnet (if you have center lock), or 6-bolt Magnet (if you have six bolt hub).
Shimano SM-MA-F203 P/PM Adapter for the rear (180->203mm Post Mount ). You probably need another one for the front depending if your fork has a 180mm post mount. If your fork has a 200mm post mount, then you'll have to buy some washers / shims (for 203mm).
2x Shimano BR-MT520 4-piston Calipers (which usually comes with D023S sintered pads)

Pretty much a plug and play install with the existing hoses, then just do a brake bleed. If you think there's a difference in stopping power between BR-MT520's, BR-M6120's (DEORE), BR-M7120's (SLX),, and BR-M8120 (XT) - have a bridge to sell you.

Given the lever that you have now is probably the BL-M4100, good chance it won't have the wandering bite point issue the other Shimano levers have.

Thank you for the simple summary! Any recommendation for a good value rotor? Or should I just cough up the money for shimano rotors?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Thank you for the simple summary! Any recommendation for a good value rotor? Or should I just cough up the money for shimano rotors?

I went with Shimano. I'm sure there are plenty of decent discs out there but I'd rather go for a known quality rather than chancing something else. I've always had good results from Shimano stuff. Particularly discs and pads.

I went 203mm RT86 at the front and 180 EM800 at the back. The EM800 comes with a magnet built in so it's a straight fit without faffing.

I've actually just fitted it and was surprised at the weight difference.

218g for the original disc and lock ring, 151g for the EM800 with lock ring.

I think I paid £28 for the front and £44 for the back. Shopping around should find some nice discounts.

Jfive

Mar 27, 2022
USA
Easiest upgrade..

2x 203mm Rotors (that are known to be compatible with sintered pads)
Center Lock Magnet (if you have center lock), or 6-bolt Magnet (if you have six bolt hub).
Shimano SM-MA-F203 P/PM Adapter for the rear (180->203mm Post Mount ). You probably need another one for the front depending if your fork has a 180mm post mount. If your fork has a 200mm post mount, then you'll have to buy some washers / shims (for 203mm).
2x Shimano BR-MT520 4-piston Calipers (which usually comes with D023S sintered pads)

Pretty much a plug and play install with the existing hoses, then just do a brake bleed. If you think there's a difference in stopping power between BR-MT520's, BR-M6120's (DEORE), BR-M7120's (SLX),, and BR-M8120 (XT) - have a bridge to sell you.

Given the lever that you have now is probably the BL-M4100, good chance it won't have the wandering bite point issue the other Shimano levers have.

Looks like the BR-MT410 (stock brakes on H30) use the SM-BH59-JK-SS hose and the BR-MT520 requires the SM-BH90-SS hose. I'm not sure what hoses are on the H30. I'm assuming it's the BH59. Shimano documentation indicates the BH59 hose won't work with the BR-MT520. Are you aware of a way to adapt it? Otherwise, a brake hose replacement is necessary and something to add to the list you provided. At which point it's likely worth purchasing the lever, hose, caliper and brake pad kit instead of those components, sans lever, separately.

Shimano compatibility doc: http://productinfo.shimano.com/download/pdf/com/3.0/en

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Looks like the BR-MT410 (stock brakes on H30) use the SM-BH59-JK-SS hose and the BR-MT520 requires the SM-BH90-SS hose. I'm not sure what hoses are on the H30. I'm assuming it's the BH59. Shimano documentation indicates the BH59 hose won't work with the BR-MT520. Are you aware of a way to adapt it? Otherwise, a brake hose replacement is necessary and something to add to the list you provided. At which point it's likely worth purchasing the lever, hose, caliper and brake pad kit instead of those components, sans lever, separately.

Shimano compatibility doc: http://productinfo.shimano.com/download/pdf/com/3.0/en

Pretty sure 420s use the BH59 hose so you could use those instead if you don't want to change the hoses.

My H30 came with M6100 levers and calipers along with BH90 hose which is different to the advertised spec so

If you want 4 piston brakes, I'm pretty sure the MT420 calipers work with the BH59 hose.

You could use those if you don't want to change hoses.

A quick look around suggests they'll be £45ish each.

I got a full set of M6100 levers/ M6120 calipers from Merlin for £160 recently which was a bargain. Full retail set with hoses etc

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA

Hose will work just fine, same amount of fluid will be displaced when the.lever is pressed.

It's really just a bunch of BS from Shimano. Just make sure you are using the barb made for the BH59

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles