Rise H30 brake upgrade?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’ve got the M Rise and not the H, have 203mm rotors up front but stock 180mm rotors on rear. Kind of wish I’d put 203mm on the rear too. I’m stopping & modulating fine, just smells like I’m firing up a bbq at the end of each run. Next upgrade in the future perhaps

Also, just to add . . . Yes I changed the brakes to Magura’s but the hoses had to be changed too. I also put my PNW loam lever on the Rise and that was dead simple, used the original cable

Hippyross

Feb 12, 2022
Northern Ireland
Thanks for everyone's input.
So I bought the estop brakes and I have been using them on the 160mm rotors because I couldn't get the mdr p rotors.

So they aren't the same fitting to the caliper but I got an adaptor so I could use the rear hose, which worked fine.
Screenshot_20220426_104342.jpg

I also had to buy a brake bleeder kit, in the kit was a cup that you screw onto the brake leaver and just pull the leaver till all the air came out and it was easier than messing about with syringes.

They were working better than what I had before but I had to bleed them a couple more times before a cycle but they were getting better, only a few bubbles each time I bled them but it made the difference.
So after a few cycles I removed the caliper and cleaned the pads and discs and they are actually really good and I have enough stopping power now but I managed to find 203 and 180 mdrp rotors to go on just waiting on them to be delivered.

Kamill

Apr 20, 2022
Massachusetts
You might not be able to get all the air out of the system with a lever bleed. At the very least you'd want to put a bleed bag on the caliper, fill the cup with oil at the lever and open the bleed port to let gravity pull oil through the line. You can then close the bleed port, pull the lever to the bars then open and close the port. That should push the air out of the caliper, once you've done it 3 or 4 times you can finish with the lever bleed as you were doing before. It helps to remove the rear caliper and let it hang so air doesn't get trapped where the hose bends. You can usually bleed the front with it installed on the bike.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
Hey all.
I've recently got myself an h30 but after a few cycles I'm finding the brakes are lacking. I ride natural trails and am having to use two fingers to get any sort of power that will slow me down and leaving me with less grip to hold onto the handle bars down the bumpy trails.
Would it be beneficial to fit lager rotors or just go with a better brake setup?

Tia
Just bought my Rise H30 and have done 2 rides...both times feeling a distinct lack of stopping power versus the the 4 piston XT from the Jam2. I agree with most that this will prob be first upgrade. Will also see how the Maz Bomber fork goes...again very diff feel to the revelation. But hey its early days ....

Kamill

Apr 20, 2022
Massachusetts
Just bought my Rise H30 and have done 2 rides...both times feeling a distinct lack of stopping power versus the the 4 piston XT from the Jam2. I agree with most that this will prob be first upgrade. Will also see how the Maz Bomber fork goes...again very diff feel to the revelation. But hey its early days ....

You could try 203 rotors with metal pads, that should help quite a bit. Just make sure you get a rear rotor with a magnet.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
My friend just bought a levo and we done 20miles of trail riding on Sunday I used 52% battery and he used 80% he's a few stone heavier though.

Just curious, did your friend have the 500Wh or 700Wh battery on his Levo?

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
I swapped out the M6100s that came on the bike with M6120 (4 pistons) and 203 rotors and the improvement was minimal. Brakes still didnt have enough power on steep descents. So I'd save your money and time there. I cant believe the XTs would be that great of an improvement over the M6120s but others swear by them. And have to believe with the right pads they're good. But I'm giving the Magura MT5s a go, which by most accounts have some of the best stopping power out there for the price.

The current DEORE, SLX and XT 4 piston calipers (BR-M6120 (aka BR-MT520), BR-M7120, and the BR-M8120) have the same sized ceramic pistons, and use the same pad dimension - it ain't the calipers but the pads.

I do hope people ain't trying to ride their eMTB's with the Shimano organic pads, those can't handle the heat, melts, then just insta-glazes over. Gotta use the Shimano sintered pads at a minimum, the D02S (they make awful noise though). Personally, I use MTX Golds and they've been working for me and I weigh 220 lbs geared up. That and the 203 mm rotors front and rear.

Last edited:

kiwidoc

Jul 10, 2022
New Zealand
Hey all.
I've recently got myself an h30 but after a few cycles I'm finding the brakes are lacking. I ride natural trails and am having to use two fingers to get any sort of power that will slow me down and leaving me with less grip to hold onto the handle bars down the bumpy trails.
Would it be beneficial to fit lager rotors or just go with a better brake setup?

Tia
Probably need four pots ace a 205 rotor. I put on XT ace its fine. The stock are not great.

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
I did what a couple members suggested and just threaded the two hoses together with a screw....At no point did it feel like it was getting caught on anything.

I just got delivery of my H30 yesterday after a 7 month wait. The planned upgrade is to MT5 eStop as I already run the Magura MT5 on my regular bike. I can't comment on the differences yet as I have yet to ride my bike on a trail.

Tried to chase the hydraulic hose along its existing route by connecting using the Rockshox connector, but unfortunately there was a point at which it was really stuck and it all came apart. 😭 . Further examination showed the new cable had some pretty severe scraping in the outer of the housing. Bike shop tried to insert new hose from the back without dropping the motor but got stuck as well.

In the end I dropped the motor and it was all so much better. I think it depends on how the battery was inserted and whether the internal cables cross etc.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Magura MT7's all day long, they even have the new orange accent colors. I wouldn't go with the MDR-P rotor mainly because they don't offer a 2 piece rotor with shitty centerlock. I just went with the Storm-Cs (thicker/heavier duty) 203 rotors front and rear. TRP makes a nice centerlock in a 200mm+ with the magnet on them.

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
I do wonder if some of this is psychosomatic, my Nail Trail has low end 2 pot shimano brakes but they work really well and have never given me any bother. I think it weighs about 14kg - so in pure weight difference terms it's maybe 7kg difference to the Rise H30. I used to weigh about 85kg and now I'm probably well over 95kg... Brakes work just as well... By the time a fat bloke is on the bike with gear is 6kg really going to be the decider for spending 175 quid on new 4 pots?? I'm anticipating my Rise next week as a it stands, so have no actual evidence, the brakes might be rubbish.... :) :)

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
I do wonder if some of this is psychosomatic, my Nail Trail has low end 2 pot shimano brakes but they work really well and have never given me any bother. I think it weighs about 14kg - so in pure weight difference terms it's maybe 7kg difference to the Rise H30. I used to weigh about 85kg and now I'm probably well over 95kg... Brakes work just as well... By the time a fat bloke is on the bike with gear is 6kg really going to be the decider for spending 175 quid on new 4 pots?? I'm anticipating my Rise next week as a it stands, so have no actual evidence, the brakes might be rubbish.... :) :)

You'll be able to tell us soon then 😉👍

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I replaced cable to fit my MT5s & dropped motor, as I am running different wheels on my M20 I have 6 bolt rotors 220 front 200 rear MDR-Ps

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
This is an MDR-C rear 6 bolt rotor with the Magura magnet fitted in the hole works perfectly on the Rise, I have spare magnets & rotors

1B8C11B8-668D-49A4-8959-99E684EC4794.jpeg

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
When I first got a full suss bike (15/20 years ago :oops:) I got right into the brake thing, 220mm front, 200mm rear hopes, they were crap.... pain in the butt to bleed and needed it all the time!

I actually think I still have them in my crap parts bin... I did rummage in it to find my 200mm rotor though, post adaptor and a centrelock adaptor and I'm already upgrading the H30 I haven't bought yet :rolleyes::D

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Slightly cautionary tale about the brake upgrade on my H30.

I bought a full set of M6100 levers/ M6120 calipers with hoses etc (Merlin bargain at £160).

Fully expecting to have to drop the motor to run the new hoses etc.

Bike actually came with M6100 Deore levers and twin pot calipers. Didn't need the levers or the hoses so could have gone for SLX/ XT calipers for the same money.

I'm possibly the only person to be disappointed in getting better than spec'd brakes!

Moral of the story I guess is don't buy upgrades until you've got the bike so you can make sure you've actually got what the spec sheet says you should have.

I went with an RT86 203mm up front. I did order a matching rear (180) but forgot all about the need for the magnet so sent that back and left the standard disc on there.

Brakes feel amazing. More initial power than the M8000 on my hardtail but I'm not sure they're better overall. The XTs seem to stay powerful all the time whereas the 4 pots bite hard but feel like the fizzle out. That might be in my head though. Maybe it's the pads. They're still awesome though so I'll consider tinkering at a later date.

The standard rotor has warped already though. Think it was a resin only one and the 6120s came with sintered.

Oops.

Anyway, just ordered an EM800 180mm for the back as it has the magenta built in. Looked at the bolt on option for magnets but as I'm using centrelock, I wasn't sure whether the magnet could be fitted to a centrelock adaptor.

Has anyone ever tried that?

If you use a 6 bolt rotor, centrelock hubs with a (shimano) adaptor in between, can you use a bolt on magnet?

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I can't find any detail on the Orbea site, and some posts here allude to Centrelock on the H30. Can I just confirm please is it Centrelock hubs and rotors on the H30 as standard? Is that what everyone got? I've got one ordered and plan to change the brakes and tires when I get the bike home from the shop...

The suspension I'll actually give a chance :) mainly because I'll have to save for those upgrades lol...

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I can't find any detail on the Orbea site, and some posts here allude to Centrelock on the H30. Can I just confirm please is it Centrelock hubs and rotors on the H30 as standard? Is that what everyone got? I've got one ordered and plan to change the brakes and tires when I get the bike home from the shop...

The suspension I'll actually give a chance :) mainly because I'll have to save for those upgrades lol...

My H30 is centrelock. Pretty sure the wheelset is the same across most of the range.

I'm using the shimano centrelock adaptors to run a 6 bolt rotor on the front.

I didn't want to have to buy new discs when I upgrade the wheels but I couldn't find a solution for the rear so went with a centrelock at the back.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zed

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
I've just got mine today and they are centrelock.... I'll find out tomorrow if they are any good or not :)

Is it actually critical to stay on resin pads?? I'm in the pennines not the alps.... I have a 6 bolt 200mm hope rotor which I'm sure used sintered pads, a calliper adaptor and centrelock adaptor would be a cheap upgrade for me....

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I've just got mine today and they are centrelock.... I'll find out tomorrow if they are any good or not :)

Is it actually critical to stay on resin pads?? I'm in the pennines not the alps.... I have a 6 bolt 200mm hope rotor which I'm sure used sintered pads, a calliper adaptor and centrelock adaptor would be a cheap upgrade for me....
Thanks

Can't imagine the hope pads will fit the MT410, if that's what you're saying. But getting some sintered pads and a 200mm rotor would no doubt help somewhat (immediately bin the resins :)). I just know I'll turf them soon anyway - I'm particular on brakes. Sadly the XTs are in shortage here so it'll probably end up being Codes. Which are decent, I just prefer the M8120s.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Easiest upgrade..

2x 203mm Rotors (that are known to be compatible with sintered pads)
Center Lock Magnet (if you have center lock), or 6-bolt Magnet (if you have six bolt hub).
Shimano SM-MA-F203 P/PM Adapter for the rear (180->203mm Post Mount ). You probably need another one for the front depending if your fork has a 180mm post mount. If your fork has a 200mm post mount, then you'll have to buy some washers / shims (for 203mm).
2x Shimano BR-MT520 4-piston Calipers (which usually comes with D023S sintered pads)

Pretty much a plug and play install with the existing hoses, then just do a brake bleed. If you think there's a difference in stopping power between BR-MT520's, BR-M6120's (DEORE), BR-M7120's (SLX),, and BR-M8120 (XT) - have a bridge to sell you.

Given the lever that you have now is probably the BL-M4100, good chance it won't have the wandering bite point issue the other Shimano levers have.

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Easiest upgrade..

2x 203mm Rotors (that are known to be compatible with sintered pads)
Center Lock Magnet (if you have center lock), or 6-bolt Magnet (if you have six bolt).
Shimano SM-MA-F203 P/PM Adapter for the rear (180->203mm Post Mount )
2x Shimano BR-MT520 4-piston Calipers (which usually comes with D023S sintered pads)

Pretty much a plug and play install with the existing hoses, then just do a brake bleed. If you think there's a difference in stopping power between BR-MT520's, BR-M6120's (DEORE), BR-M7120's (SLX),, and BR-M8120 (XT) - have a bridge to sell you..
Indeed that's another option, especially if they works with the existing hoses. I can get SLX, but they are XT priced, and frankly it just irks me. Those 520s aren't too bad though.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Indeed that's another option, especially if they works with the existing hoses. I can get SLX, but they are XT priced, and frankly it just irks me. Those 520s aren't too bad though.

BR-MT520's are identical to the BR-M6120's - they all share the same ceramic piston sizes and have the same stopping power (BR-M6120, BR-M7120, and BR-M8120).

The XTR (BL-M9100) Levers and Saint's don't have SERVOWAVE which I believe why those don't get the wandering bite point issue but some people say it's not related to that.

Last edited:

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
I can't find any detail on the Orbea site, and some posts here allude to Centrelock on the H30. Can I just confirm please is it Centrelock hubs and rotors on the H30 as standard?

Hi Zed, I noticed you are in Australia, so here is some local experience I just got my H30 in Australia 2 weeks ago and it came with centrelock. I ordered back in January and no-one could confirm to me (neither the dealer nor Orbea directly) what it was going to be built with, given the parts shortages at the time.

Of course I had ordered 6 bolt replacements from Merlin in Feb, which I then needed to return outside of the standard return period, but they were fine with that, probably since I got the centrelock replacements from them as well.

• Helpful

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Can't imagine the hope pads will fit the MT410, if that's what you're saying. But getting some sintered pads and a 200mm rotor would no doubt help somewhat (immediately bin the resins :)). I just know I'll turf them soon anyway - I'm particular on brakes. Sadly the XTs are in shortage here so it'll probably end up being Codes. Which are decent, I just prefer the M8120s.

No I mean sticking in the big rotor (with a post adaptor) and swapping to sintered pads using existing callipers on the front and see how the rears go....

Last edited:

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Just had my first ride, brakes were absolutely fine - i realise the resin pads might not last long, but not short of power or feel. Anyone reading this I'd really wait till you ride before you worry. I'm in the UK in the pennines, if you're in the Alps or the Rockys then of course you will probably need more, but after tonight's (2000ft climbing) ride, no issue for me... (as a disclaimer it is bone dry too)

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Just had my first ride, brakes were absolutely fine - i realise the resin pads might not last long, but not short of power of feel. Anyone reading this I'd really wait till you ride before you worry. I'm in the UK in the pennines, if you're in the Alps or the Rockys then of course you will probably need more, but after tonight's (2000ft climbing) ride, no issue for me... (as a disclaimer it is bone dry too)
Glad you're happy with it. Have to wonder though - are you one finger braking with it?

I've just went to the darkside and changed my order to a Fuel Ex-E. I get the M6120s on it, which is a nice bonus.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles