Orbea rise H30 upgraded.

LeMec

Jan 14, 2022
USA
New member here and wanted to share some information on my new Rise H30 upgrades and feel. See below:
-handlebars, RaceFace SixC Carbon 35mm
-160mm DVO onyx front fork (36mm stanchions).
-DVO Topaz rear shock
-Moved the Maxxis Dissector tire to the rear.
- Maxxis Assegai tire in the front.
-Shimano SLX 4pistons (metallic) front and rear.
-203mm Shimano rotors SRT 86
-RaceFace Atlas pedals.
-IBIS S35 29er wheels.
CHALLENGE
The whole process was fairly straightforward, other than the rear brake hose replacement. This is Needed as the stock hose is a SH59 vs SH90 for “real” brakes. Internal diameter of these are different so you should change these.
I tried feeding the new hose by attaching it to the old hose with a small threaded screw (with a cut off head), as suggested by another member. Unfortunately the old hose managed to break off…
Was left with the option off routing it solo.
Had to drop the motor and battery, which was
Time consuming and also required a couple of new tools to remove the chain ring (LRT2-PARK) and a tool to remove the connectors. Struggled with reinstalling the battery as the cables/hoses needed to be specifically aligned.

RIDE:
I had planned to buy the bike and immediately upgrade it as I knew for my type of riding it would be too limited.
I took it yesterday for an average ride with a couple of twisty singletrack and small jumps.
The feel was stable on jumps and straight downhill, likely as a result of the weight but also longer forks/longer wheelbase.
Braking was great and a MUST upgrade to the stock set up. Orbea shouldn’t be allowed to sell the bike with those brakes, they are close to being dangerous, due to their lack of brake force!!
Cornering was ok, again with longer forks,it messes the geometry a little and I could feel that I really needed to turn sooner that with other bikes. Something definitely to improve on.
Climbing was good, but a little disappointing… I was riding with a friend who has on a standard LEVO SPECIALIZED and he wasn’t working even close to as much I was…After the ride, I realized why. I had read and forgotten that the default profile user 1 in the set up was limited in power. Looked at it and the torque is maxed at 42Nm…changed it to profile2, to the max 60Nm, should now be fine!

NEXT UPGRADES/QUESTIONS:
Need to improve the turning, so thinking of adding some offset bushings to reduce the wheelbase. Anyone done this and still keeping the stock shock dimensions?
Looking at also doing a mullet set up, seen a couple of upgrades, but that is pretty radical, so wanted to explore that later.

388F80A5-209F-491E-BDFA-A5D22B4241E4.jpeg

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Offset bushings are designed to slacken head angles & lower BB so will Increase! Wheelbase. A mullet setup will do the same, only way to shorten wheelbase is to lower forks to 150mm or an angle adjust headset in the wrong way round to steepen head angle, 150mm forks are best option, or some coaching for turning these longer, slacker bikes 🚴

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
Im not sure if you were parting from a Ripmo (like myself) but i love those wheels. I have beaten mine to death and they just keep staying round and not cracking. They arent that stiff, but i find they "compliance" beneficial in off camber roots, 35mm internal doesnt hurt either.

LeMec

Jan 14, 2022
USA
Im not sure if you were parting from a Ripmo (like myself) but i love those wheels. I have beaten mine to death and they just keep staying round and not cracking. They arent that stiff, but i find they "compliance" beneficial in off camber roots, 35mm internal doesnt hurt either.
Yes I have a Ripmo V2 and keeping it for now! Been using Carbon s35 on that bike, and my son has the Al version on his bike. Has been beating them down like crazy, and still work flawless. Like the 35mm internal rim dimension as well, allows me for lower tire pressure, and had read that the stock race face AR30 that come with the Rise, aren’t that solid so changed these.
How as your transition from Ripmo to Rise?

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
Yes I have a Ripmo V2 and keeping it for now! Been using Carbon s35 on that bike, and my son has the Al version on his bike. Has been beating them down like crazy, and still work flawless. Like the 35mm internal rim dimension as well, allows me for lower tire pressure, and had read that the stock race face AR30 that come with the Rise, aren’t that solid so changed these.
How as your transition from Ripmo to Rise?

Unfortunately it hasnt happened. My H30 is on back order from Jenson until 3/8 now. I am Keeping my AF for bike park and enduro races (set up at 170mm/160mm) and this is going to be the training bike. Its getting the DVO Diamond, Jade X (or DPX2) off of the Ripmo that got moved to my transition Smuggler. Im also stripping the set of SC reserve wheels, Zee brakes, one up dropper, and protaper carbon bars.

LeMec

Jan 14, 2022
USA
Welcome - and nice work on the bike.

What's the weight before/after ?
Thanks!
Didn’t take the initial incoming weight. New weight is 46.5lbs /21.1 kg and that is with pedals that weigh 0.35 kg. My understanding is that the stock H30 without pedals is supposed to be 20kg, so not too bad of a weight increase considering the much burlier fork/rear shock, front tire and wheelset.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Hey. Interesting build. Those thin brake hoses you spoke of. Are those due to the 2 pot calipers or the budget brakes. Are the hoses in the 6100 brakes suitable for a 4 pot caliper upgrade? I never heard of anyone complain about them before. Thanks.

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
Here's my upgraded H30 so far.
Fox 36 factory at 160
Marzocchi Bomber CR (SLS spring)
AXS XX1
AXS Reverb dropper
OneUp bars
Will be moving over my i9 1/1 Enduro wheels over once I get my new tires. Schwalbe magic Mary and big Betty. View attachment 80708
Forgot about brakes. Got a set of Deore 4 pots and 203mm rotors on the way. Going to use the existing brake hose. I have been super happy with the Deore brakes on my Ripmo AF. Best bang for buck breaks out there I think.

Last edited:

LeMec

Jan 14, 2022
USA
Hey. Interesting build. Those thin brake hoses you spoke of. Are those due to the 2 pot calipers or the budget brakes. Are the hoses in the 6100 brakes suitable for a 4 pot caliper upgrade? I never heard of anyone complain about them before. Thanks.
They are a result of the super low end brakes that came with the bike, MT410. Those hoses are SH59, but if you have 6100, those brakes come with SH90, (see pic from shimano website)so you can easily swap the caliper and lever and keep the hose…. It makes life way easier!!!!

08CE25FC-3803-41BA-9BB1-BDEA815F1639.png

LeMec

Jan 14, 2022
USA
Forgot about breaks. Got a set of Deore 4 pots and 203mm rotors on the way. Going to use the existing brake hose. I have been super happy with the Deore breaks on my Ripmo AF. Best bang for buck breaks out there I think.
Nice set up! Is your shock stock length and travel, 210mmx55mm?
I’m also coming from a Ripmo and was waiting for an ibis ebike, but just ran out of patience.
What is your take on Ripmo vs Rise with respect to handling?
You likely won’t be able to use the same hoses with your 4 piston Deore brakes unless you find the right banjo fitting/adapter. Even with that, I’ve read that you will get different brake pressure. Please share if you manage!

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
Nice set up! Is your shock stock length and travel, 210mmx55mm?
I’m also coming from a Ripmo and was waiting for an ibis ebike, but just ran out of patience.
What is your take on Ripmo vs Rise with respect to handling?
You likely won’t be able to use the same hoses with your 4 piston Deore brakes unless you find the right banjo fitting/adapter. Even with that, I’ve read that you will get different brake pressure. Please share if you manage!

Thanks. I absolutely love my Ripmo AF. I actually haven't even ridden the Rise yet (other than up and down the street) due to the weather. I love MTB but have zero interest in riding in the snow. If the Rise rides 80% as well as the Ripmo I'll be happy.

Sucks to hear about the brake hoses being different. I was under the impression I could use the existing hoses. The 6120s don't use banjo connections. It's not the end of the world I'll just have to drop the motor again to run the new hose. Or maybe I'll get lucky and be able to pull the new hose through using the old hose.

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
Thanks for sharing your experience! I have a Rise H30 on order, and trying to order some upgrade parts before it arrives. Could you tell me whether the front and rear brake disks are 6 bolt, or centrelock, and also whether the mount for the front brake caliper is sized for 180mm discs (ie without an adapter)? Many thanks in advance.

LeMec

Jan 14, 2022
USA
Thanks for sharing your experience! I have a Rise H30 on order, and trying to order some upgrade parts before it arrives. Could you tell me whether the front and rear brake disks are 6 bolt, or centrelock, and also whether the mount for the front brake caliper is sized for 180mm discs (ie without an adapter)? Many thanks in advance.
My wheels were center lock, and my understanding is that it varies, and depends on available stock.
I had purchased a couple of 203 rotors 6 bolt in advance, and while you could use adapters, it wasn’t a great set up so installed another set of wheels with 6bolts instead.
For the H30, the front fork is actually a 160mm mount!!!haven’t seen those for a good while. It comes with an adapter as the stock fits a 180mm rotor. The rear stock is a 180mm mount, also unusual, so stock it has No adapter.

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
Thanks so much for the helpful reply - much appreciated. So it looks like I can order the levers and brake callipers now but will will need to wait for delivery before upgrading discs and relevant mounts. Cheers!

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
As far as I know, the H15 and the H30 (and M20) are centrelock, as they come with shimano hubs. The bikes with the Race face turbine wheels which are all the others (except M-LTD - I don't know what that has) are 6 bolt.

LeMec

Jan 14, 2022
USA
As far as I know, the H15 and the H30 (and M20) are centrelock, as they come with shimano hubs. The bikes with the Race face turbine wheels which are all the others (except M-LTD - I don't know what that has) are 6 bolt.
I have been told different things from Orbea resellers in the USA when I asked prior to receiving the bike. Apparently, as a result of shortages, some folks were getting 6bolt set ups, May be upgrades???
That happened to me last year on another bike purchase where components were upgraded as a result of shortages…

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I have been told different things from Orbea resellers in the USA when I asked prior to receiving the bike. Apparently, as a result of shortages, some folks were getting 6bolt set ups, May be upgrades???
That happened to me last year on another bike purchase where components were upgraded as a result of shortages…
I guess it depends what 6 bolt setups means. Do shimano do non centerlock deore hubs anymore? I don't know. If so maybe they just switched them. If not I'd be confused as to what hubs they are using.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles