Orbea Rise H30 - Wow!

FLOCO

May 11, 2022
Manitou Springs
So I agonized back and forth over whether to go with an H30 or H15, but in the end the H30 was available sooner in Orange XL and cheaper so I went with that. I've just spent 10 days putting 235 miles on it in Colorado and I could not be more pleased and impressed.

To start with, it's a beautiful bike and really looks good orange and black. I feel like the black bottom bracket helps hide the motor, which combined with the near silence of the motor makes it quite stealthy. In fact, in all my riding, I would estimate that only a tiny fraction of those that saw me even realized the bike was electric. I try to blend and not make it obvious tho.

I had several long days of over 30 miles, with 4000 + feet of elevation gain, and the battery lasted just fine, even with a mix that included mostly trail and boost. The dropper post works well. I'm 6'2" and the XL fits me perfectly.

I did immediately upgrade the front rotor to a 203 mm Shimano center lock and am glad I did as it bites harder and longer than my girlfriend's identical bike with the stock front rotor. I left the resin pads on and they were fine, although I'll go to metallic when they wear out. I can lock either tire at will with one finger and the brakes held up on some very long and fast descents.

I was also concerned about the suspension and shifter components, but both worked flawlessly. Perhaps I'm not discerning enough to appreciate the subtle difference between the Bobmber and a Fox fork, but I rode hard over a wide variety of terrain and never felt the need for more suspension. I did notice the rear adjuster would sometimes drop or bump to the middle position when I wanted it in full plush mode so I learned to check that.

I paired the bike with a Garmin watch, so I could more accurately track the actual battery percentage, but I did notice that the Shimano display range estimate was very accurate.

I switched to profile 2 almost immediately and found that trail mode usually worked best for me, although I rode in eco on an extended stretch with a friend on an analog bike and even did 3 miles of mountain single track with the bike off, just to see if I could. It was a little heavy but worked fine. Totally running out of battery, which I did once, would not be the end of the world.

Most impressive was the climbing ability of the bike. Especially in boost mode and lowest gear, with 26 psi in the tires it would climb nearly any slope I could maintain traction on.

In short, I'm super happy with the Rise and don't for a moment regret getting the H30, although I would recommend upgrading the front rotor. It's going to get a lot more use with me and there's really nothing I would change at this point. I really think it's the best combination of quality/value/weight available today and I did a ton of research and rented a carbon Rise for 3 days last summer. I know the aluminum version is slightly heavier, I don't find it very noticeably different. It's just a fabulous bike.

IMG_1266.jpeg

IMG_1203.jpeg

IMG_1113.jpeg

HarryJune

Jun 18, 2021
Berkshire
Congratulations on your purchase, I too received mine this week ( h15)
Have not had a chance to go out yet, only 10 km on street/ lane
First impression seems good and a fair bit lighter than my other bike.

682DA71A-5E0E-4AB6-9A1D-166FAF432E98.jpeg

FLOCO

May 11, 2022
Manitou Springs
Congratulations on your purchase, I too received mine this week ( h15)
Have not had a chance to go out yet, only 10 km on street/ lane
First impression seems good and a fair bit lighter than my other bike.

View attachment 90663
I think you're really going to enjoy the bike - I sure am. That's a great color too, much better in person, like the orange and black.

HarryJune

Jun 18, 2021
Berkshire
First impression
Other bike Cannondale Moterra SE

First day out at trail center (swinley forest) it was a hot day 28c dry and compacted.
Bike in factory setting profile 2 ( app not yet downloaded)
Around 8lbs lighter than other bike which you do notice on the trails, more poppy but less stable on fast downhills.
I found climbing easier.
I did a ride for around 2 hours, 25 miles blue and red trails.
Battery used 1 bar, mainly in trail mode, very impressed. Easy to cycle on the flat with power off.
For me the range extender will not be needed.
The RS motor has plenty of power never needing more, again very impressed.
Things I may change in the future, grips I didn’t like, (grips now changed) saddle already changed.
Crank arms as I had three ground strikes which I never have on other bike. ( update: 10mm longer)
I read quite a lot of bad press on the tyres which I found ok, slid every now and then but caught within a second.
( update: rear tyre grip is poor)
Brakes again ok, not as good as other bike but do the job.
The Fox forks and shock took me around an hour to set up and worked well, personally I like the fewer settings.
Display I find hard to read on the move.
Overall I think the bike is great at its price point, it would be hard to find an emtb better ( at this price).

ps: Orbea Rise h15 size medium and I’m 1.75-1.76 , any taller I would size up to a large.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018
Canberra
So I agonized back and forth over whether to go with an H30 or H15, but in the end the H30 was available sooner in Orange XL and cheaper so I went with that. I've just spent 10 days putting 235 miles on it in Colorado and I could not be more pleased and impressed.

To start with, it's a beautiful bike and really looks good orange and black. I feel like the black bottom bracket helps hide the motor, which combined with the near silence of the motor makes it quite stealthy. In fact, in all my riding, I would estimate that only a tiny fraction of those that saw me even realized the bike was electric. I try to blend and not make it obvious tho.

I had several long days of over 30 miles, with 4000 + feet of elevation gain, and the battery lasted just fine, even with a mix that included mostly trail and boost. The dropper post works well. I'm 6'2" and the XL fits me perfectly.

I did immediately upgrade the front rotor to a 203 mm Shimano center lock and am glad I did as it bites harder and longer than my girlfriend's identical bike with the stock front rotor. I left the resin pads on and they were fine, although I'll go to metallic when they wear out. I can lock either tire at will with one finger and the brakes held up on some very long and fast descents.

I was also concerned about the suspension and shifter components, but both worked flawlessly. Perhaps I'm not discerning enough to appreciate the subtle difference between the Bobmber and a Fox fork, but I rode hard over a wide variety of terrain and never felt the need for more suspension. I did notice the rear adjuster would sometimes drop or bump to the middle position when I wanted it in full plush mode so I learned to check that.

I paired the bike with a Garmin watch, so I could more accurately track the actual battery percentage, but I did notice that the Shimano display range estimate was very accurate.

I switched to profile 2 almost immediately and found that trail mode usually worked best for me, although I rode in eco on an extended stretch with a friend on an analog bike and even did 3 miles of mountain single track with the bike off, just to see if I could. It was a little heavy but worked fine. Totally running out of battery, which I did once, would not be the end of the world.

Most impressive was the climbing ability of the bike. Especially in boost mode and lowest gear, with 26 psi in the tires it would climb nearly any slope I could maintain traction on.

In short, I'm super happy with the Rise and don't for a moment regret getting the H30, although I would recommend upgrading the front rotor. It's going to get a lot more use with me and there's really nothing I would change at this point. I really think it's the best combination of quality/value/weight available today and I did a ton of research and rented a carbon Rise for 3 days last summer. I know the aluminum version is slightly heavier, I don't find it very noticeably different. It's just a fabulous bike.

View attachment 90634

View attachment 90635

View attachment 90636
Looks like you have quite a playground to get that rise dirty in

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles