Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Come from motorbikes.
I’m thinking an eMTB because:

- I don’t want to ride on the road,
- my knee is damaged from an old accident,
- I like adrenaline,
- I am never going to join a gym.

I think everyone's covered things pretty well to be honest. @R120 has summed things up well with regard to the Decathlon option and as an owner of a HT and FS, the pro's and con's.

I started with the Hard Tail option. It was cheap (relatively) ticked all the boxes for everything I imagined I would be doing. It looked a bit at least some thought had been put into the design. Anything similarly priced looked like someone had electrified a bike they'd found down the tip. The stunning .. Decathon E-st500 ! Hub motor and all .. So if you want a hard tail and you don't want to spend much, don't plan on progressing much further than fire roads, then you'd probably be ok with one of these. The early ones weren't very reliable .. I think 48 hours was the most I got between fails. But they've sorted that out now.

One of the main problems with EMTB HT's is their made primarily with budget in mind. On average they're about £1000 less than their FS counterpart. At first glance you think you're paying £1000 for a rear spring and some joints. Invariably, you're not, every component is normally the cheapest they can find to get the price down and still have some profit in there.

The decathlon went back as the reliability wasn't something I could live with. I'd also discovered single track and some downhill and the bike wasn't really upto any of this.

Determined that HT was the way to go, who needs rear suspension, your body can do all that, it's lighter, more efficient, FS is for gods or show off's ... So I bought an e8000 hardtail .. for three times the price of the decathlon. It was an eye opener. It genuinely felt like 20 years of evolution. So much easier to ride, more confidence inspiring, plus sized tyres which felt like they gave me Full suspension . I was going to be unstoppable ! 2 days later, feeling immortal, but not realising that I'd got things the wrong way round and it wasn't gods who ride FS bikes, but Gods who could ride a hardtail as fast as an FS bike .. had a huge fast OTB on a DH track and fractured my pelvis.

Oh how I wished I'd had an FS bike and not a HT as I pottered about at 1mph whilst I recovered. Was supposed to be on bed rest and couldn't walk .. but with the dropper post down I could straddle on from behind and at least walk the dog. Every tiny bump hurt.

I persevered for about another 4 months .. got faster .. fell off lots .. got faster .. fell off lots more .. crashes were measured in "crashes per mile" . Eventually I realised that I just simply could not go any faster on that bike. Someone else could. But I couldn't. Not safely anyway. As it was, I was generally riding at about 150% of my ability using a riding style which more closely resembled pinball than mountain biking.

Enough was enough .. I admitted defeat and bought a Kenevo.

Convinced it would be some unwieldy beast which would spring along as I pedalled like an exaggerated cartoon bike.

Nope. It was simply amazing. For two weeks I only thought one thing "why why why didn't I buy an FS bike at the start". I probably would have avoided 90% of my accidents for starters. It doesn't boing about. It's not less efficient or slower. Gnarly cross country sections where I'd ridden my heart out and set times which I thought were unbeatable, I instantly went 30% faster on.

Basically .. if as you say you're drawn to adrenaline.... you will drift off the fireroads. You will want to go faster .. An FS bike just makes this all a bit safer and less exhausting. A DH run on the HT would leave me completely physically depleted, to the point that you're not safe riding.

The big difference you have here is that you can actually buy a decent FS bike within your original budget. It's not even a decathlon homegrown rockrider. It has all he advantages of being designed and made by a dedicated mountain bike company and then re-badged and sold through decathlon, so you have all the advantages of easy support and spare parts which are cheaper and more readily available. You also have the huge advantage, that if you absolutely hate it, you can take it back in the first 12 months. Just seems like an absolute no brainer.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
I think everyone's covered things pretty well to be honest. @R120 has summed things up well with regard to the Decathlon option and as an owner of a HT and FS, the pro's and con's.

I started with the Hard Tail option. It was cheap (relatively) ticked all the boxes for everything I imagined I would be doing. It looked a bit at least some thought had been put into the design. Anything similarly priced looked like someone had electrified a bike they'd found down the tip. The stunning .. Decathon E-st500 ! Hub motor and all .. So if you want a hard tail and you don't want to spend much, don't plan on progressing much further than fire roads, then you'd probably be ok with one of these. The early ones weren't very reliable .. I think 48 hours was the most I got between fails. But they've sorted that out now.

One of the main problems with EMTB HT's is their made primarily with budget in mind. On average they're about £1000 less than their FS counterpart. At first glance you think you're paying £1000 for a rear spring and some joints. Invariably, you're not, every component is normally the cheapest they can find to get the price down and still have some profit in there.

The decathlon went back as the reliability wasn't something I could live with. I'd also discovered single track and some downhill and the bike wasn't really upto any of this.

Determined that HT was the way to go, who needs rear suspension, your body can do all that, it's lighter, more efficient, FS is for gods or show off's ... So I bought an e8000 hardtail .. for three times the price of the decathlon. It was an eye opener. It genuinely felt like 20 years of evolution. So much easier to ride, more confidence inspiring, plus sized tyres which felt like they gave me Full suspension . I was going to be unstoppable ! 2 days later, feeling immortal, but not realising that I'd got things the wrong way round and it wasn't gods who ride FS bikes, but Gods who could ride a hardtail as fast as an FS bike .. had a huge fast OTB on a DH track and fractured my pelvis.

Oh how I wished I'd had an FS bike and not a HT as I pottered about at 1mph whilst I recovered. Was supposed to be on bed rest and couldn't walk .. but with the dropper post down I could straddle on from behind and at least walk the dog. Every tiny bump hurt.

I persevered for about another 4 months .. got faster .. fell off lots .. got faster .. fell off lots more .. crashes were measured in "crashes per mile" . Eventually I realised that I just simply could not go any faster on that bike. Someone else could. But I couldn't. Not safely anyway. As it was, I was generally riding at about 150% of my ability using a riding style which more closely resembled pinball than mountain biking.

Enough was enough .. I admitted defeat and bought a Kenevo.

Convinced it would be some unwieldy beast which would spring along as I pedalled like an exaggerated cartoon bike.

Nope. It was simply amazing. For two weeks I only thought one thing "why why why didn't I buy an FS bike at the start". I probably would have avoided 90% of my accidents for starters. It doesn't boing about. It's not less efficient or slower. Gnarly cross country sections where I'd ridden my heart out and set times which I thought were unbeatable, I instantly went 30% faster on.

Basically .. if as you say you're drawn to adrenaline.... you will drift off the fireroads. You will want to go faster .. An FS bike just makes this all a bit safer and less exhausting. A DH run on the HT would leave me completely physically depleted, to the point that you're not safe riding.

The big difference you have here is that you can actually buy a decent FS bike within your original budget. It's not even a decathlon homegrown rockrider. It has all he advantages of being designed and made by a dedicated mountain bike company and then re-badged and sold through decathlon, so you have all the advantages of easy support and spare parts which are cheaper and more readily available. You also have the huge advantage, that if you absolutely hate it, you can take it back in the first 12 months. Just seems like an absolute no brainer.
bloody hell Zimm that's like reading "War and Peace"

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
Having had sports bikes for the past 12 years (now all gone with fatherhood!) I can't liken the adrenaline rush from a fast m/bike to one you might get on an EMTB.

Blasting out of a corner and pinning back the throttle on a litre sportsbike is not like the same (for me anyway) as the type of grin factor you can get MTB'ing - not saying its any the less they just aren't comparable.

Since getting my Powerfly FS7 (purchased within the OP's price bracket) my big grin factors have been powering uphill trails and taking advantage of fast downhill sections, plus all in between. I think i'd have really regretted buying a hard tail as I don't think it would have delivered nearly as much fun as the full suss.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
- I like adrenaline
Full suspension, buddy.

When your adrenaline kicks in (and it will), a HT will necessitate standing up especially over somewhat technical sections. With a FS you’ll be able to ride certain sections while seated, if need be, and for longer...

Your bung knee will thank you for it.

drenk1976

Apr 14, 2020
Cornwall
Hello everyone. This is my first post! This conversation comes at a perfect time for me as I ordered a Turbo Levo Hardtail over Easter. My situation was a bit different insofar as my (spouse enforced!) budget was closer to £1500 because of prices seen in Halfords (I know ?). My situation is a common one. Overweight, shot knees and I live in Cornwall where flat roads don't exist do a non electric bike would kill me. At the moment I have no plans to do anything other than fairly flat footpaths etc but I guess that might change in the future. My feeling was that FS bikes were just completely out of reach for now. I got a good deal on the Levo in the end for £1999 so decided to face the missus and stretch the budget to that. My logic is that I can't get anything better for a (heavily) stretched budget of £2k and with the £250 discount, if I fall in love with going off-road, I may be able to sell the Levo on at a reasonable price to get a FS in the future once I've worked on the better half. Does this make sense or am I missing something. Btw my wife is not to be messed with so pushing the budget any further at the moment is not an option! I'm already in the doghouse!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Does this make sense or am I missing something. Btw my wife is not to be messed with so pushing the budget any further at the moment is not an option! I'm already in the doghouse!
Makes perfect sense and you're not alone in your situation ! :) It's important when discussing bike prices (and ANYTHING bike related) with the OH, to remove one digit from the numbers.

The main difference you have with the OP (original poster) is that their budget puts them in the situation where they could go for an FS and the question was if they should FS or HT.

Welcome to the wonderful world of EMTB ! :)

drenk1976

Apr 14, 2020
Cornwall
I’ll remember the one digit trick, although I think I’ll always regret that joint bank account ?. My choice in the end came down to a Cube Acid Hybrid at approx £1700 or this Levo at £2000 and I read good things about the motor as well as thinking Specialized may sell well second hand. I’m a bit of a sucker for a discount as well and a by total luck, it was from a big online retailer who also happen to be one of my local shops. My other half doubts my staying power as I do not have a good history with exercise. Hopefully I’ll love the whole EMTB thing, lose my beer gut a bit and she’ll be a bit more receptive to the whole £4000 conversation in the future! ?

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Hello everyone. This is my first post! This conversation comes at a perfect time for me as I ordered a Turbo Levo Hardtail over Easter. My situation was a bit different insofar as my (spouse enforced!) budget was closer to £1500 because of prices seen in Halfords (I know ?). My situation is a common one. Overweight, shot knees and I live in Cornwall where flat roads don't exist do a non electric bike would kill me. At the moment I have no plans to do anything other than fairly flat footpaths etc but I guess that might change in the future. My feeling was that FS bikes were just completely out of reach for now. I got a good deal on the Levo in the end for £1999 so decided to face the missus and stretch the budget to that. My logic is that I can't get anything better for a (heavily) stretched budget of £2k and with the £250 discount, if I fall in love with going off-road, I may be able to sell the Levo on at a reasonable price to get a FS in the future once I've worked on the better half. Does this make sense or am I missing something. Btw my wife is not to be messed with so pushing the budget any further at the moment is not an option! I'm already in the doghouse!
This thread pretty well covers the journey people take on eMTBs and it really depends if you are going to find the new found freedom pushes your current plan to do more than fairly flat footpaths. There are already some good deals around £2,500 on FS eBikes as this thread shows and are likely to be more if oversupply happens because of the lockdown. Whilst I an many would advise your LBS (local Bike Shop) for first forays into biking and especially ebiking , there are deals online if your morals and attitude to risk differ. ie COMMENCAL 2018 | META POWER ORIGIN 650B RED 2018 - check Outlet version of stores.
Good luck with your progression and enjoy the new found freedom from thinking hills are horrible :)
It might sound a bit risky and this is not "marital" advice, but if you can adjust your bike to fit your wife - take her on a ride while you ride an old analogue bike. Especially a nice easy flat trail like say the Camel trail if it's near you - or even hire or demo bikes? I say this because my wife "wasn't old enough" for an eBike and does not do off road - so I convinced her to come to a couple of demos (day out with lunch stop) and she didn't like hard tails, preferred full suspension for comfort and was amazed that you could get full suspension for similar to HT. I eventually bought her a 150mm FS rig and she loves it. Even caught her riding the odd root on trails and up a down kerbs! A long way to go before she hammers single track, but she loves the motor AND the dropper post, which she always drops to get on and start off / stop as it makes her feel safe. The bike is totally over the top for her style of riding, but it has so much spare ability shes comfortable and safe on loose and rough surfaces.

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Hello.

I’m new here, and new (sorta) to riding. Come from motorbikes. I’m looking to pick up riding to help me lose weight (I’m about 10 kilos heavier than I should be) and give my brain time to relax.

I’m thinking an eMTB because:

- I don’t want to ride on the road,
- I like adrenaline,
- I am never going to join a gym.

I’ve ruled out a full suspension bike. Mainly for cost and maintenance reasons. I also want to feel the floor, that may prove you be a bad idea! We’ll see. My rides will be 30-40 miles max on a range of trail types.

I was thinking of the Levo HT but people complain about the brakes and forks. The £2k price is attractive.

I’m looking for advice on bikes. I’m 5’6”, with a budget of £2500, and will buy the moment a consensus has been reached :)

Thanks, looking forward to this new journey.
Im a x moto x rider had ht first of lasted 1 month ? shit unless your road riding fs is the way save a bit more doe n buy a levo fs you wont be diss ??

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Do a little bit of research about the available bike shops and dealerships nearby you. Check out which bikes and bike brands that they provide common and regular service for, then have a look to see which of those bikes/models are available on sale via online purchase... thru them or elsewhere.

I love my eBike but I’m also very aware that it is an electrical/electronic appliance that may require the occasional servicing that goes beyond my DIY repair capabilities. Not always, but usually there is strength in numbers.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’m guessing you’re a bit older, so full sus is definitely the way to go. I suffer with bad back/ knees/ hips, and after a load of research, picked one of these up last week:

Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC Race 625 2020 Bosch

It’s awesome! These guys are local to me, and I wanted the dealer backup, so bought from them, but if you’re going mail order, Certini.co.uk are selling this bike with 10% off.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Near me it’s Haibike or Haibike. Some big national retailers who is not go near for servicing. Or loads of ebikes for people looking to go on gentle rides. The only shops I can find not selling Haibike sell a random mix of whatever they can get.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I’m guessing you’re a bit older, so full sus is definitely the way to go. I suffer with bad back/ knees/ hips, and after a load of research, picked one of these up last week:

Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC Race 625 2020 Bosch

It’s awesome! These guys are local to me, and I wanted the dealer backup, so bought from them, but if you’re going mail order, Certini.co.uk are selling this bike with 10% off.

Not available in my size sadly :/

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I'm fortunate in that I have both HT and FS emtbs, but if I only had one I'd definitely have a FS though.

I've got the Levo HT, I've swapped the forks and cassette/gears and added a dropper post, the brakes aren't great but I don't really do any technical downhill stuff on it so they've been ok so far.

It does have a removable battery though if that makes any difference. The motor is the 1.2e version, only 50Nm but the torque curve is flatter and makes it better for light off road and road use.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I've got the Levo HT, I've swapped the forks and cassette/gears and added a dropper post, the brakes aren't great but I don't really do any technical downhill stuff on it so they've been ok so far.
By the time you've done this you must now nearing the cost of a FS emtb...which agrees with my comment that there isn't a well specced HT emtb.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
By the time you've done this you must now nearing the cost of a FS emtb...which agrees with my comment that there isn't a well specced HT emtb.

Think it's cost about £2,600 in total, I didn't initially intend to change the forks but they were worse than expected. The gears were a personal choice, some would be fine with the standard set up.

It's also nicer to ride on the road than FS, quieter motor, less aggressive tyres etc.

As I said, I'd choose FS over HT if I only had one bike, just saying what's available.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Can’t find a bike! Everyone has sold out, unless I want one in an odd green colour with 160mm of travel (Cube 160).

And it doesn’t come with pedals! That’s odd :)

16” frame for a 29” inside leg?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
HAving fun with an HT not impossible but...no comparation. Maybe exploring 2nd and market.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Can’t find a bike! Everyone has sold out, unless I want one in an odd green colour with 160mm of travel (Cube 160).

And it doesn’t come with pedals! That’s odd :)

16” frame for a 29” inside leg?
160mm travel is :) and I'm an old fart looking for comfort. If I were buying now I'd be happy with 170 on the front and 160 on the back (I'm 150 and 140 on my current bike and if feels too little!). If you have never had an ebike its hard to realize that so much travel and slack numbers are really OK for even XC to the odd bike park - yes the good guys can really use that sort of travel and geometry but to mortals it equals control and comfort.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Struggling to find people with stock now. What about a 2020 Vitus E-Sommet VRS? Thought I wanted the battery internal but the spec seems good, gets good reviews.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles