new levo issues - please help diagnose

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
brand new levo delivered by local dealer, after brakes exchange to my request.
shop has done amazingly poor job and i am now truly afraid to ride it.
hoping for some help and advise on how bad things are (pics attached):
1. motor botls - my main concern, as the shop claims to removed and reinstall the motor to install the brakes. one of the 2 rear bolts that hold the motor does not seem to have enough threads into the nut. bolt on the other side seems to protrude too much. is this normal?
levo bolts1.jpg

2. the under-threaded bolt above, goes through the chain guide. looking at it shows it is not installed in parallel to the frame, but rather diagonal. it is literally touching the frame at the lower end. is this normal?
levo guide1.jpg

the 2 issues together makes me believe the whole motor was just mounted wrong.
couldn't find info on whether this bolt is supposed to be longer because of the chain guide.
3. brakes mount bolts - the shop left the original sram hardware and bolts are too long and uses the self-aligning washers. seems improper to me. it it safe to go that way? or must i insist on shorter bolts to fit proper length of the caliper? (pads are aligned properly to the disc).
levo brakes1.jpg

after spending top money for this bike, i am so frustrated when i see all these issues...
not even talking about connectors not being plugged in properly, missing or loose bolts on the cable clips, bars being off-center....

so right before i take it up with specialized local dealer and global service, to show how new bikes are delivered, please support with some info and thoughts on these issues.

thanks all and happy riding

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
3. brakes mount bolts - the shop left the original sram hardware and bolts are too long and uses the self-aligning washers. seems improper to me. it it safe to go that way? or must i insist on shorter bolts to fit proper length of the caliper? (pads are aligned properly to the disc).
View attachment 17813

Looks like somebody who just doesn't know what they are doing has fitted this rear caliper.

The bolts are the correct length but 1 pair of the dished spacers should be above and 1 pair below each caliper bolt mounting point, then the adaptor on frame. This is so the caliper doesn't move too much when the bolts are tightened and stays aligned with the rotor. They've all been just put on one side now.
But looking at it now... the caliper will be too low and rubbing the rotor?

Photo shows it correct on my bike.

I would just give the shop a call and complain!

IMG_20190831_122259796.jpg

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
1. motor botls - my main concern, as the shop claims to removed and reinstall the motor to install the brakes. one of the 2 rear bolts that hold the motor does not seem to have enough threads into the nut. bolt on the other side seems to protrude too much. is this normal?
View attachment 17811
2. the under-threaded bolt above, goes through the chain guide. looking at it shows it is not installed in parallel to the frame, but rather diagonal. it is literally touching the frame at the lower end. is this normal?
View attachment 17812
couldn't find info on whether this bolt is supposed to be longer because of the chain guide.
View attachment 17813

after spending top money for this bike, i am so frustrated when i see all these issues...
not even talking about connectors not being plugged in properly, missing or loose bolts on the cable clips, bars being off-center....

so right before i take it up with specialized local dealer and global service, to show how new bikes are delivered, please support with some info and thoughts on these issues.

Looks dodgy to me half nut not threaded and loads washers , I changed brakes and forks on mine i reckon they took about an hour in total so would not have taken motor out but i could be wrong.Good luck plenty helpful knowledgeable folk on here to help you.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
View attachment 17811
View attachment 17812
View attachment 17813

That is one of the shittiest installation jobs I have seen in a long time. Go back to the shop and request to talk with the owner, there you request all your money back for the work they have not done. They have mixed the motor bolts, there is only supposed to be 1 set of alignment shims on a brake installation like this - bolts are wrong etc.

I would have refused to pay anything for that crap work in the first place.

If they refuse and it’s a Specialized store I would contact Specialized rider care directly. I also recommend that you document all errors with good pictures.

Karsten

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
-on my (carbon) Levo there is only one set of shims on the caliper:
2C33565B-5618-4626-8ABE-E87CDC80B6F7.jpeg

-the chain guard lines up with the motor-housing:
C2E34463-4515-4F2A-9EFF-2F35E8E92D26.jpeg

It is absolutely unneccessary to take off the motor for changing the brake-hoses.
See retailer workbook page 123 and following:
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Tech Service Retailer Workbook - EMTB Forums

There is a nylon tube which guides the brake-hose along the motor!
03C4A5E5-9801-43F8-9D91-42C5A619216C.png

Last edited:

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
-on my (carbon) Levo there is only one set of shims on the caliper:
View attachment 17821

-the chain guard lines up with the motor-housing:
View attachment 17820

It is absolutely unneccessary to take off the motor for changing the brake-hoses.
See retailer workbook page 123 and following:
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Tech Service Retailer Workbook - EMTB Forums

There is a nylon tube which guides the brake-hose along the motor!
View attachment 17822
Looks like your chain guide arm (metal piece that is held by motor bolt) is flush and in full contact with the frame. Mine is spaced out by a washer.

Caliper bolts - obviously they were too lazy to replace anything. I will have that sorted out.
Thanks, can't find the words to describe my thoughts about this matter... very angry...

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
That is one of the shittiest installation jobs I have seen in a long time. Go back to the shop and request to talk with the owner, there you request all your money back for the work they have not done. They have mixed the motor bolts, there is only supposed to be 1 set of alignment shims on a brake installation like this - bolts are wrong etc.

I would have refused to pay anything for that crap work in the first place.

If they refuse and it’s a Specialized store I would contact Specialized rider care directly. I also recommend that you document all errors with good pictures.

Karsten
Agreed.
My foot will never step in that store ever again. No point in asking them to re-do it as they obviously have no idea what they are doing, and they will only make more damage.

I will take it to the local specialized customer service as it is one of their shops. Unfortunately this kinda represents the skill of most mechanics here.

At the same time I will contact specialized global to let them know how the brand is managed here.
2 weeks with the bike now - and didn't get to ride it yet as it is a POS.

Please - can anyone confirm length of motor bolts into the nuts?
(requires opening non-drive side

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Agreed.
My foot will never stop in that store ever again. No point in asking them to re-do it as they obviously have no idea what they are doing, and they will only make more damage.

I will take it to the local specialized customer service as it is one of their shops. Unfortunately this kinda represents the skill of most mechanics here.

At the same time I will contact specialized global to let them know how the brand is managed here.
2 weeks with the bike now - and didn't get to ride it yet as it is a POS.

Please - can anyone confirm length of motor bolts into the nuts?
(requires opening non-drive side
@Specialized Rider Care is online here, maybe they can help you out and teach that shop some very basic bike wrenching skills, it sure looks like it is very much needed!

Karsten

silverstone

May 20, 2019
Switzerland
Dont be such a snowflake...
The only thing they did wrong, was installing the motor screws wrong...
If you swap calipers, it looks mostly like the didi it wrong. But thats never a problem, if you have all washers on one side.

Nifty56 wrote a total bullshit (sorry), but you need to allihn the callipers with the rotors.
Depending on what mounting bracket you have, you need to put no washers at all below the caliper. The nicest solution then is to use different bolts, so you dont need to put all washers on the other side. But not all bike shops have all bolts in all lengths in stock...
Now just go for a ride and enjoy the great deore brakes!

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
@Specialized Rider Care is online here, maybe they can help you out and teach that shop some very basic bike wrenching skills, it sure looks like it is very much needed!

Karsten
couldn't care less about the shop, i just need my bike right and ready to roll like i should have got in the first place.

such a poor buying and service experience.
this is my second time owning a specialized bike, makes want to return it and leave the brand for good.

@Specialized Rider Care - any help to get me on the trails will much appreciated.

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
If you swap calipers, it looks mostly like the didi it wrong. But thats never a problem, if you have all washers on one side.

Nifty56 wrote a total bullshit (sorry), but you need to allihn the callipers with the rotors.
Depending on what mounting bracket you have, you need to put no washers at all below the caliper. The nicest solution then is to use different bolts, so you dont need to put all washers on the other side. But not all bike shops have all bolts in all lengths in stock...
try to see the whole picture:
- i bought a new bike, paid big money (subjectively for me), got it 2 weeks later - faulty with the following:
- 2 cable clips - loose.
- 1 cable clip - loose and bolt missing completely (he left it on his table when handing me the bike, until i checked it and told him there's a bolt missing).
- brake line - uncut and too long.
- brake calipers - installed with wrong hardware.
- brake lines and shift lines - rubbed and damaged from poor handling.
- chain guide - not installed properly.
- motor - re-installed (why did they even remove it) with one bolt loose and not threaded properly.
- motor-batt main plug - connector not fully inserted into motor.
- speed sensor - connector not fully inserted into motor.
- bars - installed not centered.
- most important - there is a tiny scratch on the downtube.:eek::LOL::LOL:
(didn't originally want to bother everyone with small things..)

now, at the first level - this is far from how i expect to get a new bike. while mistakes can happen, this is a bit too much in my eyes.
second level - some issues are in the zones of safety or critical bike failure. would you want to ride your bike with the motor held in place by 3 out of 4 bolts?

so while i can potentially fix everything by myself, i don't think this is the proper way to manage this.
don't get me wrong, i thing levo is the best bike to get right now, but it's all about service, a good bike is worthless without it. (coming in from canyon, specialized, giant...)

i am not all into complaining, i'd much rather spend my days out on the trails, wish i could...

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

If you believe the initial mechanical skills demonstrated by the shop are ok I don’t want to see what you are riding on....... What they did is a amateurish job and basically ridiculous.

Karsten

silverstone

May 20, 2019
Switzerland
try to see the whole picture:
- i bought a new bike, paid big money (subjectively for me), got it 2 weeks later - faulty with the following:
- 2 cable clips - loose.
- 1 cable clip - loose and bolt missing completely (he left it on his table when handing me the bike, until i checked it and told him there's a bolt missing).
- brake line - uncut and too long.
- brake calipers - installed with wrong hardware.
- brake lines and shift lines - rubbed and damaged from poor handling.
- chain guide - not installed properly.
- motor - re-installed (why did they even remove it) with one bolt loose and not threaded properly.
- motor-batt main plug - connector not fully inserted into motor.
- speed sensor - connector not fully inserted into motor.
- bars - installed not centered.
- most important - there is a tiny scratch on the downtube.:eek::LOL::LOL:
(didn't originally want to bother everyone with small things..)

now, at the first level - this is far from how i expect to get a new bike. while mistakes can happen, this is a bit too much in my eyes.
second level - some issues are in the zones of safety or critical bike failure. would you want to ride your bike with the motor held in place by 3 out of 4 bolts?

so while i can potentially fix everything by myself, i don't think this is the proper way to manage this.
don't get me wrong, i thing levo is the best bike to get right now, but it's all about service, a good bike is worthless without it. (coming in from canyon, specialized, giant...)
ll into complaining, i'd much rather spend my days out on the trails, wish i could...

Ok, maybe I was a little bit harsh. sorry for taht. Your overall list is indeed very long.
But to be honest, I looked at a lot of bikes lately, and EVERYONE had the callipers installed like yours, if there where not the stock ones on it. That means that there are 90% of the callipers installed theoretically wrong, but it doesnt matter, because it works flawless...
The problem today is, that because of the internet everyone is a pro and is telling anybody else how to do things! And when I read stuff like the 1st answer, I really get a headache!

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
View attachment 17811
View attachment 17812
View attachment 17813

Looks like that bolt is just not in all the way, so it's resulting in both - the nut not being fully on and the chainguide not touching the casing completely like it's shown by @McInner1 's pic.
Have you checked if that bolt is loose?

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
1. motor bolts - my main concern, as the shop claims to removed and reinstall the motor to install the brakes. one of the 2 rear bolts that hold the motor does not seem to have enough threads into the nut. bolt on the other side seems to protrude too much. is this normal?
View attachment 17811
View attachment 17812

Hi @ridehard. Sorry to hear that your first impressions of the Levo following an LBS brake upgrade haven't been good - such a shame. To answer your motor-bolt questions,
- the Chain-guide bolt itself should be just under 50mm long when you remove it (see picture below, the chain guide is broken in this picture but it is what I had to hand. The keen eyed among you all will also notice that the washer fell off and I put it back on the bolt the wrong way around :rolleyes:).
- on your Alloy-frame there IS a tapered plastic-washer between the frame and chain-guide, this is normal
- On the thicker carbon frame that @McInner1 showed in the post above, we use the same bolt and guide but with a thin metal washer - also shown on the picture below for reference)
1567439480419.png

- it's possible that the retailer may have incorrectly used one of the shorter two bolts on the chain guide - see the image below and compare bolts DD with EE.

1567439411543.png

Although we'd always advise you to go back to the retailer and get them to check and correct, if this is not possible you can check the bolt positions and re-torque to 18Nm.

Trust this helps! SRC

Last edited:

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
@silverstone - it's all good, and I Always take internet "truths" with the right proportions.

@Specialized Rider Care - thank you for that. I am pretty sure a shorter bolt is installed there. I didn't take it out to measure as I was already threatened that my "self mechanicing" will void the warranty (God knows why, they don't allow you to do anything yourself here..) so I had to stop.

Just to clarify "plastic tapered washer" - i. e. one of its radiuses (frame side) is larger than the other (chain guide side) right?
But both faces are parallel and should make the chain guide parallel to the frame?

Just to update, I've contacted local ceneral service, and was told to drop the bike for a check and re-work of the whole thing at another shop, that is supposed to have more experience with levos.
Will see how this will turn up. I'm optimistic as I truly believe I just happened to fall in the hands of an amateur mechanic and it is a singular thing.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018

My picture shows the washer the wrong way around - sorry about that. Yes, both faces are parallel but the smaller side touches the frame - so your bike IS built correctly from that perspective. It's just the bolt length you or your retailer needs to check.

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
Hope this helps... (sorry not washed the bike after last ride)

Here you see the washer in the correct position on the alu frame. Also you will see a minor gap between the chain guide and the frame.
View attachment 18025 View attachment 18026
thanks.
can you look at the vertical arm (metal) to see if it parallel to the frame as well? (lower part of the frame, outside of the bolt's recess).

hope to get mine as dirty as yours soon :LOL::LOL:

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
thanks.
can you look at the vertical arm (metal) to see if it parallel to the frame as well? (lower part of the frame, outside of the bolt's recess).

hope to get mine as dirty as yours soon :LOL::LOL:

I think you were searching for a picture from this angle?
DD14063B-3538-4E6D-98BF-AF91B7706700.jpeg

Hope your bike is quickly fixed and you can start enjoying it.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
That caliper has been installed with sram hardware, presumably what was on the bike originally, not shimano hardware for the new brakes.

Depending on the bracket size, shimano may not use any domed washers, or may use a single set between the caliper and bolt head. If the shop had fitted the caliper as shown in @Nifty 56 's picture, the pads wouldn't be located correctly on the rotor.

It's ugly, but not the end of the world. Buy a shimano mounting bracket and it will come with the correct bolts.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have never seen such a crappy job done by any bike shop.

First up - the brakes. To me it looks like they have tried to reuse the SRAM spacer bracket instead of one designed for Shimano brakes. Just looked at 3 different bikes with Shimano brakes and they all have a single thick washer that is ABOVE the brake and the brake sits directly on the spacer bracket.
As far as the motor bolts go - they have used them in the wrong place. There is ALWAYS enough thread on the bolt to go through the nut and usually 1/2-1 turn through.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
That caliper has been installed with sram hardware, presumably what was on the bike originally, not shimano hardware for the new brakes.

Depending on the bracket size, shimano may not use any domed washers, or may use a single set between the caliper and bolt head. If the shop had fitted the caliper as shown in @Nifty 56 's picture, the pads wouldn't be located correctly on the rotor.

It's ugly, but not the end of the world. Buy a shimano mounting bracket and it will come with the correct bolts.
My caliper is fitted as it came originally and everything lines up perfect. I hate the cup washers but they serve a purpose, if used correctly.
My front brake is more fiddly because it's on an angle with the mounting bracket.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
My caliper is fitted as it came originally and everything lines up perfect. I hate the cup washers but they serve a purpose, if used correctly.
My front brake is more fiddly because it's on an angle with the mounting bracket.

That's because yours is a sram caliper. The OP has a shimano caliper with sram hardware.

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
update and some more issues...

- got the bike back from the shop. all previous issues seems to been taken care of - calipers now properly installed, cables and hoses neat and tidy, motor removed and reinstalled - properly. BLISS. :)

took the bike home to set it up for weekend rides, to find more problems:
- shimano BR8120 lever clamp apparently needs a new type of matchmaker adapter to install a sram shifter. the one installed doesn't fit properly, can't be tightened, and brake lever touches the shifter body. new part needed.
20190913_235545.jpg

- the revelation fork does not seem to extend back to its neutral position but stays compressed to the 10% mark under no pressure/force. exposed stanchion length is 140mm and not 150mm.
i've read it has something to do with negative pressure chamber, fork "reversing". can this be remedied at home?
20190913_231607.jpg

- rear brake line - are there suppose to be 2 clips to hold the hose in place? i only have one, the upper one is a bolt located tight to the hose, where i believe a hose clip is required. can anyone confirm? (right now that bolt will only damage the hose rubbing it)
20190914_004437.jpg

thank god i kept my other bike :LOL:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I hate matchmaking - always get the wrong adapter.
Dump all the air in the forks - work them up and down without the valve in to check full movement. RTFM and follow procedure for pressuring back up. Differs, but say 1/3 pressure - pump up and down - 2/3 pressure - up & down - adjust for weight seems to work.
Yes - will damage the hose - needs a clip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles