Levo Gen 2 Levo vs Levo sl dilemma please help

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Many thanks

I have actually order a carbon Levo sl Christmas Day so super excited !!!!!!!!
Just got to wait until Monday to find out when I can collect it

going to keep my Levo full fat aswell and hopefully keep up the payments on both?

you'll love it.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
there are two aspects you need to consider when pondering which bike is best for you - playfulness and assistance.

The SL is way better in agility and overall feel. You can move the bike so much better, but compared to the full levo the assistance difference is significant.

I have both, andif you asked me a few months back if I had to keep just one, which would that be, I’d answer the full levo. Today I have a different opinion. If you’re fairly fit, I feel like you’ll have more fun on the SL. Sure, it depends on what kind of trails you ride, but the more I ride the SL the more I like it.

This. ^^

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
Im in camp “both”. Im on the ff and after a month of riding daily i dropped my eco settings to 20/20. Most the trails i ride are tight rough single track. I ride for fun yes, but also to workout. Riding the same trails with an analog bike is much more difficult with more stops due to my recent reintroduction to biking and lacking the balance and endurance. Getting to the point... after a little training i just dont need the power available on the ff for the vast majority of the riding i do, but if i change terrain and want to keep the speed up, its nice to have the option of the ff. Secondly, im planning to buy a second bike (s-works sl ) for riding with others. Its easier to convince someone to drop 5-10k on an ebike after they have ridden one, and i want to build a riding group. As happy as i am with the turbo levo comp, in hindsight, i would have just went straight to the s-works sl. Im not going to look back on my purchase regretting the bike came with the top of the line equipment and can outperform me.

BrettG

Jul 1, 2020
Good evening everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me with a way forwards in this dilemma that I constantly have

So I am fairly fit 42 and sold my normal mtb for a ebike....

I have a Kenevo, and I’m 262lbs with a knee injury that I’m rehabbing. I ride 90% of the time in ECO which I’ve custom tuned to 20% support, which is still much faster than anyone on a muscle bike. I was very close to going SL, but at my weight, I wanted the stiffer fork and wheels. The Kenevo is a blast, but it’s way more powerful than I need. For a fit rider, I think the SL is gonna be ideal, unless your buddies all ride ebikes. The other thing is the SL is a bit more passable as a non-ebike, which would be nice as there sure are a lot of people who hate ebikes. I think it’s the people passing them on technical climbs at 16mph on ebikes that burns them.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
It does depend on where you ride as well. I think I would struggle where I live, in the Alps on an SL, certainly keeping up with my mates. I ride a 2018 Kenevo, which is more like the present Levo. I found the original eco setting of 20% useless - felt like no assistance at all. I raised this to 30% and find it fine on the flat or slight uphill. I used to use Turbo quite a lot - too much probably, for fitness and battery life, so I raised trail to 60% and now find that I can use this most of the time, only using Turbo for very steep sections. So, it’s definitely worth while experimenting.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
Good evening everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me with a way forwards in this dilemma that I constantly have

So I am fairly fit 42 and sold my normal mtb for a ebike

best decision I ever made I am hooked on ebikes and won’t go back !!!!
(Got that bit right)

so I ordered a Levo sl and just as I was about to collect it I cancelled the order and got a Levo full fat instead

now I love this bike but I feel I don’t need the assistant it gives but in eco on low due to the weight of the bike it feels like a chore to ride on big long rides

should I of gone for the sl as it would of required more input from me but still helped me on the climbs but would of been light enough to pedel with the motor off

so dilemma is

sell the Levo which I will clearly loose quite a bit of money on

but a sl as a second bike but then that’s a large debt paying off two bikes

or be happy with what I choose give it more time and see if I start enjoying it more

any help or advice would be great or maybe If you have been in the same position as I am

many thanks
Ride wrap it. Good more time and if you don't fall in love with it sell it you won't lose much money at all you'll have the protection from the ride wrap

Apr 10, 2020
Essex, England
Good evening everyone

So I am fairly fit 42 and sold my normal mtb for a ebike

best decision I ever made I am hooked on ebikes and won’t go back !!!!
(Got that bit right)

so I ordered a Levo sl and just as I was about to collect it I cancelled the order and got a Levo full fat instead

now I love this bike but I feel I don’t need the assistant it gives but in eco on low due to the weight of the bike it feels like a chore to ride on big long rides

should I of gone for the sl as it would of required more input from me but still helped me on the climbs but would of been light enough to pedel with the motor off

so dilemma is

sell the Levo which I will clearly loose quite a bit of money on

but a sl as a second bike but then that’s a large debt paying off two bikes

or be happy with what I choose give it more time and see if I start enjoying it more

any help or advice would be great or maybe If you have been in the same position as I am

many thanks
Suggest tweaking your settings in your Mission Control.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
temperamental? I love mine. I've got carbon wheels and carbon bars too so it's super stiff, rolls and tracks well and overall give lovely feedback
Not the best choices of words sorry , I meant is there any concerns of the carbon frames failing or cracking ? With a alloy I suppose they can dent / bents

Glad I have gone carbon for the extra lightness and stiffness the bike will be looked after well anyway not abused

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Not specific to Specialized, and acknowledging that alloy frames can fail too - especially at welds - it's a simple, well-documented fact that carbon fibre can fail catastrophically without any prior indication of a problem, in a way which isn't true of alloy.

Not a characteristic I look for in a frame material.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Not the best choices of words sorry , I meant is there any concerns of the carbon frames failing or cracking ? With a alloy I suppose they can dent / bents

Glad I have gone carbon for the extra lightness and stiffness the bike will be looked after well anyway not abused

it won't creak. You'd have to crash it hard into rocks or a tree to crack it... if you ask me. It's not a concern I have.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I've seen a carbon frame scrapped by a rockstrike coming down off Dunkery Beacon! Wouldve just dented an alloy bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Actually.. Carbon frames do have a habit of amplifying sounds, particularly creaks. So in comparison to an Alu frame it may well "creak" more.

Sounds to me like the OP probably shouldn't have sold their normal bike quite so hastily.

I love riding Eebs as much as most but they're still no substitute for a normal bike.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I love riding Eebs as much as most but they're still no substitute for a normal bike.

I on the otherhand have no desire to ride an un assisted bike ever again. Well, Dh bikes excluded, they’re still cool.
Have you ridden the lightweight Eeebs yet Gary?

Paul willis

Jun 11, 2020
Wisbech
I have levo and a creo both chipped and love them both what you need to do is go into tune on the app and have a fiddle I have them both the same and they are great this is my ride yesterday on the levo on the road

382ABF51-17B6-4D00-9F80-1393051FFAAC.png

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Are the power and calorie values shown above estimates from Strava?
It would be interesting to know how high average rider power actually was.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
you might as well remove the battery and save weight too.
@apac I've tried to get my head around the reasons why I'd want a Levo SL and don't really get it. I ride a Kenevo and although its heavy and has more power than I need in most riding situations I've found it very adaptable to different riding situations. So either use that power and have a blast which isn't possible on an analogue bike or eek out the power for a long day out. The SL seems to compromise both of those situations. And although the SL is lighter its not a massive difference when total rider+bike weight is considered. I still also enjoy riding my 11kg analogue bike which provides a completely different ride to an ebike. If you said I could have an ebike that weighed the same as an analogue bike, but had a battery capacity that went as far as a full fat bike (with the same rider effort as required on a full fat) then I'd see the point but can't help feeling the SL comes up short here. (i.e. it can go as far as a full fat but requires more rider effort - a bit like an analogue?) I guess what I can't really understand is: what does the SL offer that a full fat ebike doesn't? If it boils down to it's lighter, handles better and needs more rider effort to go as fast/far then surely an analogue bike is even better? What am I missing?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
The reasons I have brought one is I like the fact when I demo one that I could ride it like a Normal bike and keep my fitness up but when I needed assistant I could just turn it on for help
Also if I wanted to do a epic all day ride I can by using the battery only when I needed to or if I got fed up off peddling
or buy a few range extenders to carry which means I can go even further for hours

I still have my ff Levo and love It but it can’t do any of this above with that bike

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
@apac I've tried to get my head around the reasons why I'd want a Levo SL and don't really get it. I ride a Kenevo and although its heavy and has more power than I need in most riding situations I've found it very adaptable to different riding situations. So either use that power and have a blast which isn't possible on an analogue bike or eek out the power for a long day out. The SL seems to compromise both of those situations. And although the SL is lighter its not a massive difference when total rider+bike weight is considered. I still also enjoy riding my 11kg analogue bike which provides a completely different ride to an ebike. If you said I could have an ebike that weighed the same as an analogue bike, but had a battery capacity that went as far as a full fat bike (with the same rider effort as required on a full fat) then I'd see the point but can't help feeling the SL comes up short here. (i.e. it can go as far as a full fat but requires more rider effort - a bit like an analogue?) I guess what I can't really understand is: what does the SL offer that a full fat ebike doesn't? If it boils down to it's lighter, handles better and needs more rider effort to go as fast/far then surely an analogue bike is even better? What am I missing?

how far have you ridden an SL?

my SL is nearly 6kg lighter than my ff. that's like carrying 10 u.k pints of water

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
I’ve had both for nearly a year each and I’ll try give my honest view.

the FF - had the expert and upgraded most parts to what I wanted, lyrics, ohlins coil, carbon wheels etc. First few month it was the best thing since sliced bread. Mainly used trail, did a few races on some serious steep tracks ( google kidland dh ) and really started to notice the weight. Never really had battery anxiety, did multiple Lake District days, ride the golfie a lot which is where I was tired from pedalling a normal I was now very tired from descending on the heavy bike. I always longed for a certain feeling, maybe it was the “ effort and reward feeling”. When I started going wrong, after it’s 3rd motor I just fell out with it and warranty was only 2 years then, can’t be driving 100 Mile for a bike not to work. so I went back to a normal bike .

thats lasted a few month as tried a SL and wanted it. Bought my carbon comp and changed all parts to what I wanted. For me personally I like the SL power, it’s not to much but where it shines for me is going DH, the weight and agility out ways the power of a FF. I’ve found I’m fitter since getting the SL and I notice that when riding my mega tower. Can ride with ff mates but they need to be in eco for me to keep up over long fire roads. Both Are great and I guess it’s more of what you want and what type of riding you do.

good luck in what you decide.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
how far have you ridden an SL?

my SL is nearly 6kg lighter than my ff. that's like carrying 10 u.k pints of water
@apac I've never ridden an SL. I just don't get it. But to pick up on your point..I'm 70kg, but with my riding gear and backpack/water nearer 80kg. So if I probably just leave my backpack at home I'd save at least 6kg, so that doesn't sound like much of a saving. But if I take my analogue instead of my ebike I'll save 14kg. Surely it isn't just about weight? Maybe I need to try one.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
@apac I've never ridden an SL. I just don't get it. But to pick up on your point..I'm 70kg, but with my riding gear and backpack/water nearer 80kg. So if I probably just leave my backpack at home I'd save at least 6kg, so that doesn't sound like much of a saving. But if I take my analogue instead of my ebike I'll save 14kg. Surely it isn't just about weight? Maybe I need to try one.
as Always it depends what you want from the bike. I just find the SL compared to the ff a much more fun ride due to it being lighter but i do confess that my ff was all alloy and the SL is all carbon which I think makes it even more responsive and agile. Its horses for courses. I'm not here to argue which is better. I just prefer the lighter bike. For me I can now bunny hop, flick, wheelie, and get quicker General response from it. With my ff the amount of effort to do those fore mentioned things wasn't worth it.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I've tried to get my head around the reasons why I'd want a Levo SL and don't really get it.
The "right" amount of power from an ebike is an arbitrary, subjective, personal matter: for those of us who ride SLs, that's the "right" amount of power.

It's really that simple.

Is it a compromise? Yes. But everything - FF, acoustic, in-between - is.

Put it this way: I also own a FF Cube and a fast, nimble, flickable acoustic bike. And I've not ridden either - not once - since I got my SL in August.

The SL allows me to do things I can't really do on my acoustic; and it does so in a way which is far more "acoustic-like" than my FF could ever hope to be. The extra effort involved cf. a FF bike is part of the experience, incidentally.

As compromises go then, it's a pretty good one.

Now, I'm more of a trail/singletrack rider than an enduro-type rider: the SL gets me out further, and lets me have far more fun, than either of my other bikes can get close to doing - each can do part of the equation, but only the SL does both.

Last edited:

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
I bought the ff without riding a bike regularly for at about 25 years. So i didnt have a great idea of what i was really trying to achieve with a ebike apart from fun. Since i hadnt rode for so long I was concerned about riding to far and being to tired to get back ( thats a theme in my life, fear of getting stuck)Since then, my confidence has increased and it became clear that i ride to enjoy a workout and the safety net of the assistance encorages me to go farther . I also learned that the way i ride burns about 10% of the battery per hr. I mostly ride tight slower trails that are about a mile from my home. I use 50-100% assistance to get there and back, and on the trails mostly switch between no assist and eco set at 20/20, using trail mode for steep and rooted climbs. IMO the ff is easily ridable with no assist at lower speeds. Im looking forward to the experience that will come with the sl, as that will fit a different type of riding very well. The power of the ff is overkill for 95% of the riding i do, but that 5 percent, its nice to have when i want it. Different strokes/different folks- its great to have options.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles