My Relay rocks

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Photo's action shots. How long does the battery last? are you riding with full power E-bikers? do you get dropped on the hills? does your battery burn out sooner? what is the actual weight? what is your riding style, bike spec.........

PS welcome.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Photo's action shots. How long does the battery last? are you riding with full power E-bikers? do you get dropped on the hills? does your battery burn out sooner? what is the actual weight? what is your riding style, bike spec.........

PS welcome.
So coming from my incredible Revel Rascal and still wanting to push myself, most of my rides have been in a mix of the 3 modes with majority in "eco". That being said most of my rides have been 10-17 miles with a minimum of 2k feet of climbing.
I have only been on one ride with other e-bikers and it was just under 17 miles, 2,800 feet of climbing and I still had just under 40% battery (2 dots) left. Granted I was being pretty conservative with my battery as it was only my second ride. And I did not get left behind (middle of the pack) but it was pretty tight, slick and technical single track for the climb so that can be a great equalizer as I'm sure they could have left me in the dust on a fire road.

Yes I spent too much, but due to availability I ended up with the top XX build, transmission and all. Glad to say it does weigh as advertised right at 42lbs and 37lbs w/o the battery. So really not bad at all for a 160/160 "enduro" bike. Which, to answer your questions, is probably about half of what my riding style is because of our varying terrain we have.

Hope that gives ya'll some insight as it really is an incredible bike and does ride like a normal mountain bike just with that extra help going up!

20230406_152807.jpg IMG_20230424_131238_270.jpg

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Can you clarify what condition (i.e. tubeless w/ sealant, which dropper as you have 2 different ones pictured, with pedals?) and what size it is for that 42# weight? Also was that weight dead on?

Thanks.

PS. The grey really has grown on me and looks great!

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Can you clarify what condition (i.e. tubeless w/ sealant, which dropper as you have 2 different ones pictured, with pedals?) and what size it is for that 42# weight? Also was that weight dead on?

Thanks.

PS. The grey really has grown on me and looks great!
I did change the dropper. The original picture was when I got it and then I put my Reverb AXS on it. And its a medium. Not sure if its spot on 42lbs, but it was as factory speced. Im not that anal and don't weigh it each time I change something minor

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
The relay looks great IMO. Whats it like to pedal with the motor off? No resistance at the cranks?
Absolutely no resistance. I've actually made it a point to do some climbs with it turned off (battery still in) and it just feels like Im completely out of shape with a really sticky tire

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
So an unfortunate update....It was getting pretty loud when under power the last couple rides so I took it in to the dealer. And Transition is sending a replacement motor to swap out....

The first Relay in our area, one of 14 in our state and I encounter the first issue Transition has run into!

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Any update on the motor replacement @QuackFU
Went through 3 motors and the noise level would be fine at the dealer until after the first ride then it would start getting louder. And on top of that it would start randomly shutting off after an decent hit, bump or drop....
So unfortunately I am no longer a Transition Relay owner and got the dealer/Transition to refund me the largest bike purchase of my life.
They could not figure out what was going on, said they never experienced this, and offered to replace the bike completely. But in the end I didn't feel like I wanted to be their unpaid R&D department anymore.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Went through 3 motors and the noise level would be fine at the dealer until after the first ride then it would start getting louder. And on top of that it would start randomly shutting off after an decent hit, bump or drop....
So unfortunately I am no longer a Transition Relay owner and got the dealer/Transition to refund me the largest bike purchase of my life.
They could not figure out what was going on, said they never experienced this, and offered to replace the bike completely. But in the end I didn't feel like I wanted to be their unpaid R&D department anymore.

Your problem was almost certainly related to a poor battery connection. I've noticed that the way it clicks in sort of has levels, and if the plastic filler plates aren't exactly correct, the connection can be less than ideal.

Did you decide on a replacement e-bike?

Regarding my loud motor, I'm just going to ride it and make certain I try and warranty it before the 2 year warranty is up so that I can get the newest product possible heading in to non-warranty years.

It's almost certain that Fazua will figure a few things out and make some running updates as thousands of these get out there.

I did notice that mine became louder permanently after I spent about 15 minutes in turbo mode, on a 100' day. I suspect that just giving it a real good workout broke it in a bit and increased volume levels.

Don't know where battery tech will go but would love a much smaller/ lighter battery that still had around 400 watts of power and then being able to use the rest of the compartment as storage on the bike. Electric motors are heavily developed technology already and I don't expect much improvement, just better reliability. However batteries will certainly improve and might be offered as upgrades to various e-bikes in time.

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Thanks for the update, your story along with @Suns_PSD & @Nerds On Dirt MTB has made my mind up to steer clear of ALL Fazua bikes.

Sad because the relay was almost the perfect ebike for where I live, but same as you I don't want to pay to be an R&D tester

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Your problem was almost certainly related to a poor battery connection. I've noticed that the way it clicks in sort of has levels, and if the plastic filler plates aren't exactly correct, the connection can be less than ideal.

Did you decide on a replacement e-bike?

Regarding my loud motor, I'm just going to ride it and make certain I try and warranty it before the 2 year warranty is up so that I can get the newest product possible heading in to non-warranty years.

It's almost certain that Fazua will figure a few things out and make some running updates as thousands of these get out there.

I did notice that mine became louder permanently after I spent about 15 minutes in turbo mode, on a 100' day. I suspect that just giving it a real good workout broke it in a bit and increased volume levels.

Don't know where battery tech will go but would love a much smaller/ lighter battery that still had around 400 watts of power and then being able to use the rest of the compartment as storage on the bike. Electric motors are heavily developed technology already and I don't expect much improvement, just better reliability. However batteries will certainly improve and might be offered as upgrades to various e-bikes in time.
I am sure it was too, but as I said, not going to be their beta tester for a 12.5k bike....

And obviously you can do what you want, but I wouldn't ride it if it were making more noise. There should be no "break-in" period on the motors. If they start making more noise, it is because they are faulty. And they (Transition) won't know that if people don't report the issue. Thus why they were perplexed by mine, because they hadn't been getting complaints.

And yes I am picking up a Trek Fuel Exe tomorrow.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Thanks for the update, your story along with @Suns_PSD & @Nerds On Dirt MTB has made my mind up to steer clear of ALL Fazua bikes.

Sad because the relay was almost the perfect ebike for where I live, but same as you I don't want to pay to be an R&D tester
Yeah aside from wanting a slightly steeper head angle for our tighter trails and climbing it checked all the boxes for me. 60nm/430wh in that light a package was perfect. Hopefully it will be refined or someone will nail it.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I received a call and was told that they are likely replacing my motor. Transition has approved it, and it's in Fazua's hands.

My dealer told me that they replaced over 20 Pivot SL motors but that the problems are actually software related. Software that is written by the bike manufacturer. He stated Fazua throws motors with new software at them for good faith and its been an effective fix so far but that I'm the first Relay problem he has seen. He feels due to the software differences that the Relay appears much more reliable.

Will update.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
To join in the motor pain, mine has gotten bad as well. I've noticed its low on power, breeze is almost non existent, and River is not putting up what it was before the update, changing setting i the app does nothing and there is a loud clicking noise under load now. Submitted a warranty request to TR, hopefully my girlfriend's wont have these issues she loves hers.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
I received a call and was told that they are likely replacing my motor. Transition has approved it, and it's in Fazua's hands.

My dealer told me that they replaced over 20 Pivot SL motors but that the problems are actually software related. Software that is written by the bike manufacturer. He stated Fazua throws motors with new software at them for good faith and its been an effective fix so far but that I'm the first Relay problem he has seen. He feels due to the software differences that the Relay appears much more reliable.

Will update.
Please keep us updated. Because I was told that MINE was the first Relay problem Transition has seen even with all of their testing over a year.
Starting to sound like a Fazua issue, but Transition is maybe not being completely honest....

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
To join in the motor pain, mine has gotten bad as well. I've noticed its low on power, breeze is almost non existent, and River is not putting up what it was before the update, changing setting i the app does nothing and there is a loud clicking noise under load now. Submitted a warranty request to TR, hopefully my girlfriend's wont have these issues she loves hers.
The noise mine started making was most noticeable under load as well. It almost sounded as if you had let the oil run dry in a gearbox or transmission.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

Can you do a video listening to your girl's Relay and then yours? Same rider/ speed/ power setting/ gear/ terrain so that we can get a real good A to B comparison?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles