My Relay rocks

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Yah, mine doesn't click.

It just whirs louder than before. Really I think it just broke in a bit loud.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Yah, mine doesn't click.

It just whirs louder than before. Really I think it just broke in a bit loud.
That's what mine was like. But even according to Fazua they aren't supposed to break in. They are supposed to be as quiet as the day you buy it.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Unless you are a pretty big sender (6'+ to flat drops on the regular, 15' + jumps with no landings, etc), I'm going to recommend removing all of the volume spacers from the rear Float X air shock on the Relay.

I've generally needed to add lots of volume reducers and have been a big fan of the Cascade link on past bikes, but this rear suspension has a lot of progression in it and with the 2 stock volume reducers it just wasn't working for me.

Hopefully I'll be able to hit some of the big g-outs in the area soon as sort of the final test as those can push suspension pretty hard.

I'd also recommend a coil shock for this bike. It's the first bike that I've ever owned that seems like a really good fit for one.

I rode with bikes today and was the only e-bike and led as I often do and frankly we were all dying in the heat. After about 10 of the crappiest miles I think I've ever ridden (this is VERY technical terrain) I had only used 12% battery juice! I'm not certain the e-bike provided me with any advantage on this day in my lowered Breeze setting but I didn't want to have a totally different ride experience than the rest of the group. Started with 5 riders, ended with just 2, my normal biking partner in crime and myself.

This is the absolute BEST handling bicycle I have personally ever ridden and my buddy was like 'you are just dropping me on the downs'. Normally I would not.

I'm in a weird place because I bought an e-bike to lessen the pain of the climbs, I'm now the best descender I have ever been on the e-bike yet I was a considerably better technical climber on my SJEvo bike. I just can't seem to get the hang of the real jank tight stuff we have here on this bike.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Unless you are a pretty big sender (6'+ to flat drops on the regular, 15' + jumps with no landings, etc), I'm going to recommend removing all of the volume spacers from the rear Float X air shock on the Relay.

I've generally needed to add lots of volume reducers and have been a big fan of the Cascade link on past bikes, but this rear suspension has a lot of progression in it and with the 2 stock volume reducers it just wasn't working for me.

Hopefully I'll be able to hit some of the big g-outs in the area soon as sort of the final test as those can push suspension pretty hard.

I'd also recommend a coil shock for this bike. It's the first bike that I've ever owned that seems like a really good fit for one.

I rode with bikes today and was the only e-bike and led as I often do and frankly we were all dying in the heat. After about 10 of the crappiest miles I think I've ever ridden (this is VERY technical terrain) I had only used 12% battery juice! I'm not certain the e-bike provided me with any advantage on this day in my lowered Breeze setting but I didn't want to have a totally different ride experience than the rest of the group. Started with 5 riders, ended with just 2, my normal biking partner in crime and myself.

This is the absolute BEST handling bicycle I have personally ever ridden and my buddy was like 'you are just dropping me on the downs'. Normally I would not.

I'm in a weird place because I bought an e-bike to lessen the pain of the climbs, I'm now the best descender I have ever been on the e-bike yet I was a considerably better technical climber on my SJEvo bike. I just can't seem to get the hang of the real jank tight stuff we have here on this bike.
I'm going to guess your new found confidence and speed on the downs (and loss of tight/technical ability) is due to the super slack 64* HTA.
This is exactly what I experienced and was frustrated because it was a PITA to navigate tight switch backs that we have here.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
What I primarily like, and it's helping my descents (I think) is 2 things: 1) lots of front wheel traction, 2) hta that just doesn't get hung up on anything.
What is screwing me up is mostly how heavy and long the front end is. I use to just jerk the front end up and drop it 2' over to make some turns, while riding some jank. Particularly uphill super slow stuff. Now I just... suck.
I am getting better on the bike. Heat index was 120 today so riding much is a challenge but about 7 rides in I'm getting the hang of it, slowly. Every time I finally clear something that I use to clear before on my bike, it's a milestone, and I'm getting there.
Ps. That shock is not very good!

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
I was curious, so I inquired with transition's online "chat" feature regarding the estimated ship date for the GX AXS version. The person I chatted with pretty much said "August might be more realistic at this point". Wouldn't say much about wether that is early or late August. There isn't a huge difference between late July and early August, but the difference in early July to late August can be almost two months.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
I was curious, so I inquired with transition's online "chat" feature regarding the estimated ship date for the GX AXS version. The person I chatted with pretty much said "August might be more realistic at this point". Wouldn't say much about wether that is early or late August. There isn't a huge difference between late July and early August, but the difference in early July to late August can be almost two months.
For some reason they are really holding up the GX AXS. And I have a suspicion its because between them and Pivot they are having issues with the Fazua system and not really in a hurry to push them out the door.

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
For some reason they are really holding up the GX AXS. And I have a suspicion its because between them and Pivot they are having issues with the Fazua system and not really in a hurry to push them out the door.

Could be the reason but I do have limited intel that a new GX AXS is dropping and that the Relay is intended to be equipped with the new version, not the current "old" GX AXS. So until the updated stuff is released, the GX AXS relay cannot ship. That is all I know. Wish I knew when the updated GX AXS was scheduled to be released....

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
Sorry sorry, I am a big easter egg person. Looks like transition updated the spec sheet for the GX AXS. The chainring now claims "Transition Bash Spider SRAM 32t Alloy E Ring (T-Type)". Likely confirming the t type GX AXS rumors.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Could be the reason but I do have limited intel that a new GX AXS is dropping and that the Relay is intended to be equipped with the new version, not the current "old" GX AXS. So until the updated stuff is released, the GX AXS relay cannot ship. That is all I know. Wish I knew when the updated GX AXS was scheduled to be released....

Sorry sorry, I am a big easter egg person. Looks like transition updated the spec sheet for the GX AXS. The chainring now claims "Transition Bash Spider SRAM 32t Alloy E Ring (T-Type)". Likely confirming the t type GX AXS rumors.
Sorry, I could have confirmed that for you through what my LBS has been told by Transition. Now the big question as I have learned with Transition is will the dates actually hold...

Tikz

May 26, 2021
USA
Really bummed to hear about the issues with the motor/battery. I was getting ready to click order and thought I would do some forum reading first. Now I cannot decide what to get!

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
For my purposes, it's still the one I would have bought.

Great geo, the right motor power and battery size.

The only other contender for me was the new Levo SL but the geo was pretty far off of my tastes and the battery really is quite a bit smaller.

Bringiton

Jun 29, 2023
Canada
Anyone know where to get the ride 60 firmware from right now?

The official website has been offline for quite a while:

My new Relay is on bundle 004 but the website says its under maintenance ever since I got it and wont let me download any new firmware.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I'm quite enjoying my Relay and it is a sweet mid power e-bike. The battery juice is over the top for me and I struggle to use more than about 35% in these temps. If it was cooler (typically 115'+ heat index here currently) and I could do more miles, this result would be different I presume.

Rear shock is a still a struggle, but livable. Just waiting for the new Manitou Mara Pro to be released before ordering a replacement. I just rarely like Fox suspension I've found.

Finally, I'm starting to really be able to climb tech features on this bike as well, maybe even better, than I was on my SJEvo. This really helps the 'flow' of the ride.

I'm not as fast overall on the bike as I thought I'd be. I mean, the average pace is slightly faster but it's not some huge difference or anything. Probably average 1.5 mph faster on very slow techy terrain. The climbs are tough and windy, the descents are techy and loose, so as a result the only place I go faster is on a few flatter sections here and there and extended climbs. I'm riding one very particular place that suits me and is very chunky, but there are other spots that have more sustained level terrain and I'm sure the pace will improve on those trails more notably.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Yah, I've watched Nerds on Dirt's U-tube videos and even the new ones, I can detect no strange motor noises. Truthfully that clicking sounds like something stuck in the derailleur or a bad rear freehub, not motor noise.

Would have liked if in the first videos by 'Nerds' if we could have gotten a quiet (as in no talking) listen to the motor noise section of the video while climbing up one of those fire roads. I'd like it just to compare to mine.

The Relay isn't a super quiet bike, in the battery compartment there are loose wires and cables sort of flopping about. The dropper cable is definitely a culprit making it's own unique noises. In addition, I think the battery cover has lots of flex and slaps around as well.

As some of you know, my motor got louder but still works fine. I was approved for a new motor but was told it would take a month or 2, to receive. Can't ride currently due to recent surgery, but I sure miss getting out on the bikes.

Also, ordered a new Transition Smuggler today which I'm pretty stoked on but that'll take 2 months to arrive as well.

Last edited:

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Yah, I've watched Nerds on Dirt's U-tube videos and even the new ones, I can detect no strange motor noises. Truthfully that clicking sounds like something stuck in the derailleur or a bad rear freehub, not motor noise.

Would have liked if in the first videos by 'Nerds' if we could have gotten a quiet (as in no talking) listen to the motor noise section of the video while climbing up one of those fire roads. I'd like it just to compare to mine.

The Relay isn't a super quiet bike, in the battery compartment there are loose wires and cables sort of flopping about. The dropper cable is definitely a culprit making it's own unique noises. In addition, I think the battery cover has lots of flex and slaps around as well.

As some of you know, my motor got louder but still works fine. I was approved for a new motor but was told it would take a month or 2, to receive. Can't ride currently due to recent surgery, but I sure miss getting out on the bikes.

Also, ordered a new Transition Smuggler today which I'm pretty stoked on but that'll take 2 months to arrive as well.
Hope you recover from surgery in time to take advantage of the riding season.

Maybe it was a timing thing, but find it strange that I was (supposedly) able to get a new motor (2) shipped to my LBS within days and you are now being told months.

While I do really like the balance of range and power with the Fazua system and what Transition has done, I think the removable battery, and the compartment cover, pose some unique and unnecessary challenges. More noise from loose parts as you've pointed out and the cover is not too secure.

And now after owning the Fuel Exe for almost 100 miles it shows me how unrefined the Fazua system is. And even though it doesn't seem like much, not having to take the battery out to charge the bike really is nice.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I'm in TX. Our temps with the heat index have been around 115'. On the other hand from October to May it's mostly around 60-80' and perfect riding weather. So that's the main riding season!

I rode the Ex-E a bit but it wasn't a proper ride. Can you detail the difference you are experiencing? The nature of the motor can be changed by the app. I liked the Ex-e but it's not enduro enough for my tastes.

Yah, the removable battery on the Relay isn't great. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but there are rattles throughout that area. Luckily, I barely notice rattles while riding.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Hey all sorry I've been MIA, went on a bike holiday with the girlfriend and she ended up breaking her ankle.. This is our third cursed bike trip this year lol. All the noises started after the vids on the channel. Fazua was little help, but Transition is going to replace the motor, they just don't have any and no solid ETA. I've let the bike sit for a bit but I think I'm going to ride till it really breaks lol

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
I've only had two rides on mine haven't noticed any noises really even the EXT coil that I put on was meant to be noisy I haven't noticed so maybe I'm just not observant. Seems quieter than my old Norco VLT. Am loving how the bike rides although right twisty terrain is more challenging on this longer slacker bike at least until I get used to it but it seems keen to go fast.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Rode the bike Saturday, still making noise of course but performed without a htich, Transition will be sending out my new motor this week so yay!
20230715_131719.jpg

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
I'm in TX. Our temps with the heat index have been around 115'. On the other hand from October to May it's mostly around 60-80' and perfect riding weather. So that's the main riding season!

I rode the Ex-E a bit but it wasn't a proper ride. Can you detail the difference you are experiencing? The nature of the motor can be changed by the app. I liked the Ex-e but it's not enduro enough for my tastes.

Yah, the removable battery on the Relay isn't great. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but there are rattles throughout that area. Luckily, I barely notice rattles while riding.
Glad your down time isn't in the prime of your season!

Wasn't necessarily referring to the motor, as I much preferred the extra power of the Fazua. It was the small (not so small) things like the controller, display and finish when comparing the two.

The controller on the Relay feels like a cheap piece of plastic that will easily break, while the Trek has a very compact up/down button that if very unobtrusive>

I didn't think it would be a big deal to just see 5 dots compared to an integrated display that show wattage, speed, mileage and most importantly battery percentage but it really does! One dot left on the Fazua system...do I have 20% left or 5%?

They are 2 totally different bikes and I do think the Fazua system on the Relay strikes a great balance, but after having the two it just feels cheaper for the price you pay.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Hey all sorry I've been MIA, went on a bike holiday with the girlfriend and she ended up breaking her ankle.. This is our third cursed bike trip this year lol. All the noises started after the vids on the channel. Fazua was little help, but Transition is going to replace the motor, they just don't have any and no solid ETA. I've let the bike sit for a bit but I think I'm going to ride till it really breaks lol
The fact that they are telling you they don't have any, but I supposedly was able to get 2 of mine swapped out within days makes me think my LBS was BSing me about the motor and Transition new the issue

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I have a new motor and the new style handlebar controller on the way to my dealer.

Haven't been able to ride it much because of surgery keeping me off but even with repressive heat, I'm jonesing!

Probably going to order the EXT Aria shock for it.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
I have a new motor and the new style handlebar controller on the way to my dealer.

Haven't been able to ride it much because of surgery keeping me off but even with repressive heat, I'm jonesing!

Probably going to order the EXT Aria shock for it.
Thats great! Look forward to hearing how it works out.
And didn't know they had a new controller

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

My medium GX AXS finally made it! Just finished my first ride on it and liked it a lot. Some details/thoughts:
  • Weight: 44lbs with battery, 39lbs without
  • Ride details: 11.5miles, 1433ft of vert
  • Modes used: 3/4 of ride was in the breeze setting (green). 1/4 of the ride in river (blue). Used the 12 second boost mode maybe 5 times to try it out.
  • Battery usage: 66% remaining
  • Impressions: felt like a natural ride, both up and down. The motor kicks in smoothly and is very quiet. Really impressed with the downhill feel/ composure.
  • Noise: minor "clunk?" coming from the battery area on repeated compressions. I am a fan of quiet bikes so I am going to have to do some investigation on mitigating the noise. Wasn't horrible my any means, but was present.
  • GX AXS: really impressed with the shifting - especially when cranking down. Definitely an upgrade from my XX AXS version one.
  • Wasn't expecting the motor coast "click/ free hub sound" to be as loud as it was. It pretty much drowned out the sound of the rear hub. If you buy hubs because of their sound and not because of engagement, then save your money....I wouldn't be tossing I9s on this ride because they sound cool lol. But I will swap out the rear wheel for a 27.5 at some point and will likely consider a nicer hub at that time.
Still some minor adjustments to work out on the suspension and need to figure out some pedals/ grips, but for the first ride I couldn't be more stoked!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles