My first ever trail ride on an eMTB!

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
A few days ago I pulled the trigger on a 2022 Specialized Turbo Levo (Expert) and immediately began some slight mods because customizing is fun :) But I've actually never even ridden one on a trail. I did a quick parking lot test with the one I bought but that's all.

About an hour before the sun fully set tonight I had just finished the first set of mods and headed out to the nearest trails I could find. I only got about 25 min in before it was too dark to see but I still had a blast and pretty stoked to ride this thing more.

I kept it in ECO mode the whole time and couldn't believe how great it was on the climb and best part is I still got a good leg workout in. I just got everywhere faster. even on the descent where you'd normally get some pedal strokes in depending on the trail, one spin of the cranks and it's like a super boost, so much fun!
Today solidified my purchase that I made the right choice haha (it better be for the cost lol). I'll never get rid of my pedal bikes, and I will 100% still ride them a lot.

It's definitely not my plush Evil Wreckoning, but that's also not it's purpose so no fault there. I haven't tweaked the settings at all yet, the suspension is whatever the shop initially set it up for me as, the tubeless tires I ran a little higher psi than I normally do simply because the bike is heavier and eMTB's are new to me, so played it safe. Really excited to get more familiarized with this bike and be able to get more FUN riding (I like the downhill part) in when I'm in a rush.

as I mentioned it was getting dark fast so didn't get any good photos, but here's are some of the upgrades I currently did.
So far everything I've done is:
  • Magura MT7
  • Magura MDR-P 220mm rotors
  • 36T chain ring
  • PNW Loam dropper lever
  • SRAM AXS XX1 shifter/derailleur
  • XX1 rainbow cassette/chain
  • DT Swiss 54T upgrade

IMG_1440.jpeg IMG_1447.jpeg IMG_1461.jpeg IMG_1463.jpeg

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
well today I got in a full true ride, in the actual daylight. goodness it was fun! I rode trails that I would normally ride on my Evil Wreckoning (which is my do everything bike). it handled the chunky downhill stuff much better than I expected. landing small jumps were a little harsh but I also haven't spent a single minute on the suspension settings yet, it's simply whatever the shop set it at which I haven't even checked.

The best part, I went up for a 2nd lap and I'm 100% certain I wouldn't have if I brought my pedal bike today. This is the exact reason I was interested in an eMTB, smiles per mile factor was certainly at an all time high.

Also, on the 2nd lap uphill, I put it in the Trail mode, what a rocket haha. Definitely a learning curve, one little pedal stroke to get over a rock and front wheel was up in the air and I almost crashed haha. Need to re-program my brain lol
Same with going around a tight corner uphill, almost crashed since I'm not used to having any "assistance". Good times!

D

Deleted member 7401

You say you will still ride the acoustics now…just give it a month and you will realize you no longer need them. If you want a similar workout leave it in Eco all the time and you will still get a good workout at the same time as you cover even more ground.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
You say you will still ride the acoustics now…just give it a month and you will realize you no longer need them. If you want a similar workout leave it in Eco all the time and you will still get a good workout at the same time as you cover even more ground.
Haha I can definitely see that in many situations!
However, I enjoy some trails where I’m throwing my bike on my shoulders (literally) and hiking up on super techy trails. No way I’m carrying the Levo on my back up a mountain 😂 but that’s also getting into the territory of my DH bike.

But for most of the standard trails, yeah it’ll be a much tougher decision.
… unless my gf is with me then she can take the Levo

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles