Well...I tried Strava for the first time ever....and quickly deleted my activity.

aw113sgte

Jul 15, 2018
La Crosse, WI
First ride ever using Strava and the Kenevo dominated. Seems no one else in the area has an e-bike.
I deleted the activity as compared to non motor guys it's an unfair comparison. No need to ride up the locals.

Screenshot_20180728-203703.png

Screenshot_20180728-203633.png

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
First ride ever using Strava and the Kenevo dominated. Seems no one else in the area has an e-bike.
I deleted the activity as compared to non motor guys it's an unfair comparison. No need to ride up the locals.

View attachment 3529

View attachment 3530
Just change your activity type to E Bike ride, that way you won't be directed compared to the clockwork bikes, and you can still enjoy Strava as a great place to log your rides and your performance changes over time etc.

aw113sgte

Jul 15, 2018
La Crosse, WI
Just change your activity type to E Bike ride, that way you won't be directed compared to the clockwork bikes, and you can still enjoy Strava as a great place to log your rides and your performance changes over time etc.
Didn't know that was a thing. I'll have to.look.into it. Thanks.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Some call them analog, you say clockwork
To me it’s the difference between folk and rock.
And that difference is Electric vs Acoustic
73D11914-4DC7-40D2-8EEA-2FBBFCD0D628.jpeg

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I set my Strava to automatically make activities private.
This then gives time to edit from ride, to ebike ride, type in a title, add pic and then mark as public for the Strava would to see.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The question is 'why do you want the world to be able to see them?'. I've used Strava a lot over the years, but recently have been thinking that there is no advantage and a lot of potential downsides to putting all this data out in public.

Riding would be very dull if all the off piste trails got flattened tomorrow.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Rather pleased I am computer Luddite.no Facetwit or snapbook..deffo not Stravo.....could not exist without an EMTB....and the prospect of them being banned is horrendous :eek:
Stick to the rules ..or you could ruin it for all of us!!!:rolleyes:

aw113sgte

Jul 15, 2018
La Crosse, WI
The question is 'why do you want the world to be able to see them?'. I've used Strava a lot over the years, but recently have been thinking that there is no advantage and a lot of potential downsides to putting all this data out in public.

Riding would be very dull if all the off piste trails got flattened tomorrow.
I didn't realize. I was just curious about my ride stats and had no idea it was going to make it public.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
I don't think Strava is going to get e-mtb or mtb banned anytime soon. I find strava invaluable for tracking my riding and how much use I am getting from various bikes.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
In the UK maybe not, but in the US definitely maybe, did you read the article?

idahoskiguy

May 16, 2018
Idaho USA
'Old, slow'

There's a wider question over wether we should use Strava at all. Cases like this have made me think it would be lots better without Strava:
Strava Data Used to Ban Bikes from Trails | Bicycling

Here in the US the laws regarding emtb are very conflicted and not consistent from state to state, some states correctly treat them as bicycles other states classify them as motor vehicles. Using Strava in places that do not allow emtbs is a problem since it documents the violation and could get you a nice fine. It is best to just ride and be courteous, 90% of all trail users do not notice you are on an e-bike.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I don't think Strava is going to get e-mtb or mtb banned anytime soon. I find strava invaluable for tracking my riding and how much use I am getting from various bikes.

Likewise, but why share it?

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
I was really into Strava for 2-3 years. Chased KOMS, couldn't wait to get home to upload the ride to see pr's, etc. I've lately stopped logging and just do my rides and enjoy it much more and I'm a much more polite trail user. We don't need to be out racing ourselves or others on public trails at all times IMO. Leads to lots of issues and one of the big ones is giving land managers ammunition against mountain bikes.

Soul riding not race riding.

We are in this for fun right? Unless one is an elite racer I say put the Strava down and even then just log with Garmin Connect or the like.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I use Strava as a mapping tool more than anything else, as i love the fact that an e-mtb lets you explore more since the motor gives you a get out of jail card if you find yourself at the bottom of a nasty climb back up.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I just like to share my rides amoung friends. We have our own little challenges and goals we like to achieve. We all know it’s not real accurate and take results with a pinch of salt.
It’s good to keep a group motivated to ride.
In 2017 a challenge was to ride 100km and 1000m elevation each week for the whole year. We were all on clockwork bikes not ebikes. So the goal for the year was 5200km and 52000m.
I managed 6600km and 60000m.

Was a great platform to keep track.

This year we had to as a group reach a km goal for a charity ride a friend was taking part in. She rode from Victoria to Queensland (Australia) over 10 days ( a touch over 2000km) while we logged our kms on our local rides to add to the km total. Btw, that was on a clockwork bike too.

Stuckmojo

May 21, 2018
Newcastle, UK
I use Strava as a mapping tool more than anything else, as i love the fact that an e-mtb lets you explore more since the motor gives you a get out of jail card if you find yourself at the bottom of a nasty climb back up.
This. Mine is set to private but I do use the map a lot as I like exploring and I like to pinpoint nice riding spots when I stumble upon one. Otherwise I'd never find them again.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Strava isn’t easy to use until you get used to it , I am still not sure who really sees what I do , even if I remember to click private I still seem to get kudos from everyone for the smallest of rides , the constant kudos get annoying unless you’ve done a really big ride .
It was a nice surprise last year when strava suddenly told me how many miles I had ridden etc , there’s no way I would keep track of that with 3 or more bikes despite computers etc . Worst mistake I make is forgetting to end the ride before I drive home if I’ve driven to a ride venue , so all those rides are deleted and lost , Iam told you can edit a ride for such mistakes but I can’t find out how . You can however “ i found “ go back and re label a ride as ebike if you’ve forgotten to set that earlier

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It’s called cropping and it’s in the tools. I don’t think you can do it on the app though.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It’s called cropping and it’s in the tools. I don’t think you can do it on the app though.
Probably requires a PC I guess I only use my iPhone , or i pad and it doesn’t even orientate to fit the screen on those .

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Probably requires a PC I guess I only use my iPhone , or i pad and it doesn’t even orientate to fit the screen on those .

Yeh I've not found out on the app. You can do it if you log onto the website using your ipad

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Switch to ebike ride.

Strangely my PR on my no.1 fav trail...is the exact same timing on my manual and my ebike...but 3 years apart.

I have been trying for 3 years to break my PR on that trail...never getting close (i was fittest in my life at that time)...took me a month on my new Levo to finally get the same timing

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles