Well...I tried Strava for the first time ever....and quickly deleted my activity.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Strava isn’t easy to use until you get used to it , I am still not sure who really sees what I do , even if I remember to click private I still seem to get kudos from everyone for the smallest of rides , the constant kudos get annoying unless you’ve done a really big ride .
It was a nice surprise last year when strava suddenly told me how many miles I had ridden etc , there’s no way I would keep track of that with 3 or more bikes despite computers etc . Worst mistake I make is forgetting to end the ride before I drive home if I’ve driven to a ride venue , so all those rides are deleted and lost , Iam told you can edit a ride for such mistakes but I can’t find out how . You can however “ i found “ go back and re label a ride as ebike if you’ve forgotten to set that earlier
You might be able to tell my why auto-pause doesn't work on Strava. Group I ride with stop now and again to let the tail-enders catch up. Bike stationary while stopped, but Strava time keeps running. Means that average speed is useless as it is so inaccurate.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
You might be able to tell my why auto-pause doesn't work on Strava. Group I ride with stop now and again to let the tail-enders catch up. Bike stationary while stopped, but Strava time keeps running. Means that average speed is useless as it is so inaccurate.

Auto-Pause is a setting you need to switch on.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Tch! "You guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off." (Zaphod Beeblebrox)

"Old Skool", obvs, innit fam?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Auto pause does not work if you pre-set the ride as e-bike. However, if you pre-set and record as normal ride, auto pause works, then after the ride is uploaded change it to e-bike and the auto pause time is maintained for that ride.

this is a revelation ? was doing my head in why it didn’t seem to ever work

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Auto pause does not work if you pre-set the ride as e-bike. However, if you pre-set and record as normal ride, auto pause works, then after the ride is uploaded change it to e-bike and the auto pause time is maintained for that ride.
Are you sure this is right ? I have auto pause turned on. Recording on android as e-bike ride.

Screenshot 2021-05-25 09.26.50.png

Moving time is presumably calculated based on pausing and average speed is calculated based on moving time not on elapsed time ?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Works perfectly for me on Android, im sure you can even set the notifications / alerts during a ride to even tell you "ride paused" unless im losing my only marble left im certain i have heard strava talking to me this way !!

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Audio cues was what i meant lol, half a marble left. View attachment 62411

Yeah i've messed about with the settings but when i'm on e-ride the elapsed and moving time is always the same. And I know on the rides i've checked i'd stopped so for me, it's not been auto pausing.

for example see below. I know a stopped a few times on that ride...

A4038ACC-44F9-49A0-A857-1C7ABBF891A0.png

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
And when I go to record e-ride. My setting are default to auto pause...

I did change this to auto pause ride and not walk as apparently this makes a difference ??‍♂️

perhaps I should put it back on auto pause run...

F353BCE3-4E96-498A-BCD6-AFD1F144CAD0.png

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Might be an apple ios problem as I use an iphone, also I am using the free version which could also be the issue. As above if I preset as ebike ride my moving time and elapsed time is always the same and this throws out the average speed.
I have messed with all the settings and have not been able to get ebike ride to detect the pauses/breaks despite the auto pause setting being "on".

Last edited:

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I don't understand why anyone with an ebike would want to make their rides public. As pointed out above why advertise where we are riding, especially if some areas are sensitive about this?I believe walkers and bikers can safely and enjoyably share the same countryside - we have some trails (in Switzerland) that show the trail are for both and they says "fair play" ie, slowing right down when approaching walkers, saying hello etc. KOM and segment times are a bit meaningless on an ebike anyway. It is easy to set up so that just your followers see what you've done. Strava is good for keeping a record of what you have done but there is no need to broadcast this to the rest of the world.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Because in the uk we don’t have the issues of e bike vs bike like in the US or other places.

and if you are recoding rides in e ride. As for segments, I only care about my previous times. As I know they are comparable (ish) to me.

it’s cool to see how that stacks up against other e bikes. But all taken with a pinch of salt in my opinion

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
If you click on the Ebike button at the start of your ride it will make it an ebike ride and all following rides will also be ebike unless you change it. There are ebike segments showing up as people create them. I got a message on one of my rides before i found out about the ebike button about how i was smoking it. Fessed up and told him it was a new ebike and i had changed the ride to ebike and all my segments were gone. He said, Kewl, maybe i will see you out there next time and i will see if i can keep up or smoke you on the downhill. No animosity about ebikes around here that i have seen and lots of them showing up.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
Autopause works for me with it set to E-bike. This is on Android.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles