Put my 50+ wife on a e-mtb first time; 30,6 km in the forest!!

PeterW

Mar 12, 2018
Sweden
Wife never been bicycling else than between house and work. 3 km on perfect road. As I bought a mtb (Grand Canyon) and inspired many of my friends to do so as well, we thought of making cycle touring with our wives as well sometimes. So , thats said, I bought a Scott e-genius 720 for her (and for me :)). When she saw it she immidietly gave it the nick name "The Monster". And accused me for buying it for me solely.

Anyway, this weekend first try. Me, son , girlfriend on our Grand Canyons and wife on "the Monster". 30,6 km , 2hrs 26 min active cycling , 80% on path , also difficult ones, in the forest, passages in the mud. "Had to teach my 50+ mum to go in the mud on an mob before getting too old"......

Success!! Yes seriously. When uphill and fairly easy she overtook us all every time. And after first scary stops in the mud she learned "peddle like hell and come over".
When really tricky . Ok then slow and sometimes jump off and walk.

When we came back we seemed to be at nearly exactly same exhausted level all of us. In the evening wonderful dinner at restaurant with smile on our faces.

The big "Monster" proved to be a really good one. When testing it the young couple were impressed. So stable and strong "Just roll over everything". Compared to the hard-tails it was smooth.

So for all fanatic haters of e-bikes; you don't understand. For us it means all family can go wonderful long trips now.

And to Scott+Shimano; well done. Everything works so fineAlthough the design of the battery hold is totally crazy. Not a big functional big problem (maybe) but just crazy. I exect next years model will have the Bull Twin Core solution. Thats is the way to go. Using eco + trail mode only; 4/5 bars on the battery still left!!!! Promising!

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Wife never been bicycling else than between house and work. 3 km on perfect road. As I bought a mtb (Grand Canyon) and inspired many of my friends to do so as well, we thought of making cycle touring with our wives as well sometimes. So , thats said, I bought a Scott e-genius 720 for her (and for me :)). When she saw it she immidietly gave it the nick name "The Monster". And accused me for buying it for me solely.

Anyway, this weekend first try. Me, son , girlfriend on our Grand Canyons and wife on "the Monster". 30,6 km , 2hrs 26 min active cycling , 80% on path , also difficult ones, in the forest, passages in the mud. "Had to teach my 50+ mum to go in the mud on an mob before getting too old"......

Success!! Yes seriously. When uphill and fairly easy she overtook us all every time. And after first scary stops in the mud she learned "peddle like hell and come over".

When we came back we seemed to be at nearly exactly same exhausted level all of us. In the evening wonderful dinner at restaurant with smile on our faces.

The big "Monster" proved to be a really good one. When testing it the young couple were impressed. So stable and strong "Just roll over everything". Compared to the hard-tails it was smooth.

So for all fanatic haters of e-bikes; you don't understand. For us it means all family can go wonderful long trips now.

And to Scott+Shimano; well done. Everything works so fineAlthough the design of the battery hold is totally crazy. Not a big functional big problem (maybe) but just crazy. I exect next years model will have the Bull Twin Core solution. Thats is the way to go. Using eco + trail mode only; 4/5 bars on the battery still left!!!! Promising!

Hey Peter, this is a great report. The real strength of the E Mountain bike, is that it allows people of varying abilities to ride together more easily. What mountain bike trips are you planning now that the whole family can get out there?

PeterW

Mar 12, 2018
Sweden
...:)....as the result of the first test was unknown until 2 days ago..no specific plans formed yet. Only fantasies..but it now seems as fantasies and reality will be one! Going by bicycle is a fantastic way of going out in the nature. You smell, have time to see and just enjoy. With some nice to eat and drink in the back-pack, a stop in the sun for a swedish "fika". Yes there were many fantasies where to go. Now they are plans. Tell you later. No downhill with wife but except that... / P

PeterW

Mar 12, 2018
Sweden

Have to add for clarification; the impressive thing was that she never gone on any (whatsoever) mtb before and never outside the town streets!! Asked how it was she answered; "fun".

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles