Forest of Dean MTB

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi,
I am thinking a bout paying the Forest of Dean a visit. Probably just a day visit to kick off but based on what I find I may go back and camp for a few days.
I have checked out some information online and it looks like a ood plan for the day trip would be to head for PEDALABIKEAWAY and park there. From what I can see it is £7 a day to park but no other trail charges and there are a number of trails way marked from the cafe/bikeshop there. Is that correct?
I would like to do Verderers and Freeminers and then perhaps explore some downhill trails.

Any locals that can confirm the above or suggest any better alternatives would be welcome.
( I am a bout 2.5 hours away so a bit time limited for a full days riding)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’m definitely not local to FOD but we did spend a good few days there last summer.

If you’re going to the main car park at Pedalabikeaway then I’d head straight for the downhill trails. They’re great fun., and easy to head straight back up and session on an emtb.

The Freeminer & Verderers trails are just simple trail centre xc type trails

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just to add, we really enjoyed some trails in a woodland near the village of Parkend. Parked in a lay-by opposite a pottery, think it was called Mary Rose.

The wood was lovely & quiet, the trails are all easy to find. Not steep and nothing technical, but fast, flowy with loads of small drops & jumps. Really playful trails, again, great fun.

Bike shop in the village sells sandwiches and ice creams

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Hi,
I am thinking a bout paying the Forest of Dean a visit. Probably just a day visit to kick off but based on what I find I may go back and camp for a few days.
I have checked out some information online and it looks like a ood plan for the day trip would be to head for PEDALABIKEAWAY and park there. From what I can see it is £7 a day to park but no other trail charges and there are a number of trails way marked from the cafe/bikeshop there. Is that correct?
Yes, and definitely a good place to start. The Verderers is worth doing and it gets a bit more spicy towards the end as you drop back downhill, and then the three separate downhill tracks are rated 1* 2* and 3* to cater for all levels. It's a short ride up the push up track to get to the start of those. The rest of the forest is ful of ad-hoc single track, some quite severe, plus plenty of free parking so easy and cheap to explore. There are also toilets/cafes at the various tourist spots like Mallards Pike and Beechenhurst.
Just to add, we really enjoyed some trails in a woodland near the village of Parkend. Parked in a lay-by opposite a pottery, think it was called Mary Rose.

The wood was lovely & quiet, the trails are all easy to find. Not steep and nothing technical, but fast, flowy with loads of small drops & jumps. Really playful trails, again, great fun.

Bike shop in the village sells sandwiches and ice creams
Which direction was that from the village? There are woods with trails all around it.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Which direction was that from the village? There are woods with trails all around it.

It was on the road between Coleford and Parkend. I just remember the brightly coloured pottery workshop we parked opposite. Think it was Ellwood, Dowies trails

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Whilst not a local I spend so much time there I've been sent a council tax demand! If you want a guide to the off-piste and the timing works I would be happy to show you round.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Verderers may be easy? but it is fast and fun as are Countdown and Launchpad. The other downhills, GBU, Ski Run, Corkscrew and Sheepskull are a little more challenging. Freeminers is slightly more difficult than Verderer's and more of a very rooty XC but the new extension, "Addit", I think it's called, includes a quite spicy downhil section. Also in that area are Y2K and Elephant Man.

Close by but not really within the control of the trail centre are the more natural feeling trails of the Ellwood area usually referred to as Dowies after the guy who created them. There are also several trails at Mallards Pike and Staunton.

Al

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Another vote for Dowies and Staunton over the Pedalaway trails.

Sounds like you have an even more local offer of guiding, but if you want any gpx or suggestions then shout.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Just had a couple of hours in there today . . lovely, fast and dry ATM.
Screenshot_20230606-173146.jpg

Uktonyb77

Feb 19, 2023
Uk
Gpx file would be a class . You should be able to export quote easily from Strava . If you’d like to share of course :) I’m from Kent but rode FOD 3 or 4 times in the last 6 months. Would really love to find some new stuff to explore down there now as the trail centre setup has become a bit samey

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
If you fancy flowing single track descents with long, steady fireroad climbs linking them then the riding around Staunton is my favourite. Just glorious. GPX below if you want to give it a go.

Sent and saved to Garmin Connect for next time we’re down that way, wonderful, thanks 🙏

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
That looks like a lot of fire road...
From where we parked the first 20 mins or so down to the Pedalway woods was mainly forestry roads for speed, and returning once we got to the sculpture trail we just hoofed it as we were running late. In between was all the good stuff..

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Anymore gpx's of FOD local single track out there ? Building up an array of 100km or so would be good for a weekend, thanks.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I do indeed have loads but the real locals, the ones who maintain the trails, aren't overly keen on people spreading them about.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Really. Should I be deleting my posts? Those that drasked have presumably downloaded now.

Feel free to share gpx for the trails you’ve built. Otherwise it’s polite to check with the trail builders first

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Wouldn't have the first clue how to find out who built them. Seems a little gatekeepy, but I also don't want to upset anyone so have deleted.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wouldn't leave Scotland for the FoD, or anywhere else in the UK for that matter.

Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles