So got my first ever E-mtb today!

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
So my vitus e-sentier arrived today. Haven't had much chance to go on a currently nursing broken ribs from a fall from a large jump last weekend. But seems good so far. A little bit weird is the feeling and feels a tiny bit clunky when changing gears. I think the motor will take a little bit of getting used to but on the 10 minutes I had it it's crazy what the potential is. Boost mode feels like I have 5 rugby players pushing me along aswell haha. I would like any info on the main do's and donts with an e bike in terms of cleaning the bike. Also it's a bit weird having a bike with what feels like a lot of technology on it. I really hope this proves to be reliable (e8000 steps motor).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Do's:
When changing gear, ease off the pedal stroke and allow the motor to ease off just before each shift.
Easier to show than describe but hopefully you'll work out what I mean. You should ease off the power as you shift gear on all derailleur geared bikes but the timing is different with having a motor.

Post pics of your bike here and tell us about it.

Enjoy.

Don'ts:
Be that guy who refers to other bikes as acoustic, analog or clockwork in public. ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also be careful of double down shifting under power , best to shift one gear at a time - carrying a spare link is a good idea

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
...and maybe a chaintool to remove the broken portion of the link from the chain so you can actually fit it ;)

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
This is the only one I've took so far. I'm not saying it's the sexiest in colour wise. But for me it's nice. I do prefer my bright colours but this was bang on in my price range and with the e8000 motor seemed to make sense :).

20180831_165156.jpg

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Also the saddle is like that because I broke my ribs so wanted to have a go bit every little bump kills me ha, so put a big padded saddle cover on.

Any good way to tidy up cable at front too?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
As simple as that? Haha. Do I need to be careful with water round any particular part. Also do i need to fill anything out for warranty? Nothing came with it stating I needed to. But would hate to have a motor issue and not get warranty help

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I keep thinking about getting one of these on the C2W scheme but the price is up and down like a bride's nighty...

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Well I got it in 20 inch for 1599. Altho it only looks like they have 19 inch left which is 1999. I think they are stopping once these lot sell out so I would be tempted to buy one while you can. Only thing is I thought C2W was anything up to 1000?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
They are £1999 at the moment, they were £1599 a few days ago. You can top up the C2W voucher and CRC do 10% discount with British Cycling membership.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For that money nothing comes close. Most e bikes at that price don’t even have a mid drive motor, and you can upgrade it without being held back by the frame.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Also has a nice dropper post on it too. Really does seem like a lot of kit for the money. If I had any warranty issues down the road who do I contact. Chain reaction cycles or Shimano. And what would I need to show them. Just so I'm prepared if anything were to happen as going to use this as a daily commuter.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
spiral cable wrap will keep the electrical wire from headunit to motor running beside the gear cable.
There's just enough room to run the controller electrical wire through the stem plate (behind and just above the lower stemface bolts.
The rest of it isn't really messy on my Vitus. (exact same control components as far as i can see)

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
Also has a nice dropper post on it too. Really does seem like a lot of kit for the money. If I had any warranty issues down the road who do I contact. Chain reaction cycles or Shimano. And what would I need to show them. Just so I'm prepared if anything were to happen as going to use this as a daily commuter.
I’ve still not heard any thing on my delivery ordered mine last week☹️You happy with the paint quality?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
So my vitus e-sentier arrived today. Haven't had much chance to go on a currently nursing broken ribs from a fall from a large jump last weekend. But seems good so far. A little bit weird is the feeling and feels a tiny bit clunky when changing gears. I think the motor will take a little bit of getting used to but on the 10 minutes I had it it's crazy what the potential is. Boost mode feels like I have 5 rugby players pushing me along aswell haha. I would like any info on the main do's and donts with an e bike in terms of cleaning the bike. Also it's a bit weird having a bike with what feels like a lot of technology on it. I really hope this proves to be reliable (e8000 steps motor).
Congrats! You'll get used to the power really quickly and will soon want to tweak the Assist settings. Have emtbs with E8000 and EP8 motors, get the ST UNLOCKER basic app (not the one you pay big $ to de-restrict the motor). Allows you to customize beyond the standard Etube app. Happy Trails!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles