Experienced my first verbal EMTB abuse today

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
I'd been riding in the local forest today and dropped into a village to get the the next trail, a collection of teenagers on bikes were loitering across the path I was riding. They parted enough for me to get through, and then the abuse started (add swearing to the following statements); "its electric" "you're a cheat" "that's cheating" "get a real bike" "cheat".

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, but the one that is most adaptable to change.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
EF28DC3C-DC98-4F81-9198-D0BF6B492E48.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Where the teenagers on decent bikes or a motley collection of budget junkers? If the latter the they would have abused you for something, anything else if you were on a clockwork bike.
Anyway, fuck ‘em, they’re just jealous.

Tmacca

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Australia
Lot more relaxed where I ride now, rode the acoustic (did u coin that phrase Al Boneta) bike today and saw at least 8 ebikes .
When I first started riding Levo in 2016 so much negativity, guys who gave me grief are now buying Kenevos and telling everyone they always loved them, blah did blah :ROFLMAO:.I think having pros riding them has made a huge difference to public opinion

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
When you getting abuse for cheating, just check that the person giving the abuse isn't sat on an ebike. @Doomanic raised the valid point that a lot of ebike abuse could be ironic (as I was abusing a guy riding past on a kenevo)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
As an exclusively acoustic rider (for now) it really bugs me when I see ebikers getting abuse. Having a go at someone for riding an ebike is like having a go at someone for riding full suspension back in the day. Besides, how do they know that individual does not have an injury or disability that prevents them riding an acoustic bike? Watching the effect that ebiking has had on my (nearly 70 year old) Dad’s health and general well-being has been enough to convince me that ebikes can offer something to every cyclist, whatever genre and type of rider we may be.

It will certainly be interesting to see what these same individuals are doing when ebikes make up the majority of bikes on the trail. My bet? Riding one, mouthing off at “bl#*@y acoustic riders slowing us down”, selective memory firmly in operation ...! :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Lot more relaxed where I ride now, rode the acoustic (did u coin that phrase Al Boneta) bike today and saw at least 8 ebikes .
When I first started riding Levo in 2016 so much negativity, guys who gave me grief are now buying Kenevos and telling everyone they always loved them, blah did blah :ROFLMAO:.I think having pros riding them has made a huge difference to public opinion
I have been calling them acoustic bikes for more than a decade. It was just something that came from my guitar playing addiction.

Electric guitars are so much more fun to play and you can create so much more.
While people that play acoustic guitars act all stoic and noble, which is what I see with acoustic bikes.
If musicians had that mindset and resisted change, then there wouldn’t be any Rock and Roll.

Apparently the term acoustic bikes is being used by other industry people who are claiming it. It doesn’t really matter to me

I hope someday people will have the same reaction to acoustic bikes as these characters had to acoustic instruments in the following clip.

Dave

Jul 20, 2018
Rugby
In Holland this happens to me every time i ride the trails. I'm used to it. It a pitty. teenagers but also grownups
Wish I lived and rode in Holland, wouldn't matter what anyone said to me abusive or otherwise ... couldn't understand a dam thing they were saying :D
Ignorance is bliss :cool:

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I have been calling them acoustic bikes for more than a decade. It was just something that came from my guitar playing addiction.

Electric guitars are so much more fun to play and you can create so much more.
While people that play acoustic guitars act all stoic and noble, which is what I see with acoustic bikes.
If musicians had that mindset and resisted change, then there wouldn’t be any Rock and Roll.

Apparently the term acoustic bikes is being used by other industry people who are claiming it. It doesn’t really matter to me

I hope someday people will have the same reaction to acoustic bikes as these characters had to acoustic instruments in the following clip.
Another guitar addict! Excellent.
There's a bunch of bike addicts in my guitar forum, and with your permission I shall taunt them with the acoustic bike term.
Cheers,
Dave

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
I thought it was hilarious in all honesty, teenagers on junkers mouthing off. What was funny was as I approached them one of them said "nice bike!" to me, and then they noticed that it was a damnation of an electric beast, made for cheating, and the abuse reigned. Hilarious.
Another guitar addict! Excellent.
There's a bunch of bike addicts in my guitar forum, and with your permission I shall taunt them with the acoustic bike term.
Cheers,
Dave

Guitars and bikes (all two wheeled varieties) are my two main passions. Which guitar forum are you on Dave?

DaiGaled

Jul 9, 2018
Pencoed
I thought it was hilarious in all honesty, teenagers on junkers mouthing off. What was funny was as I approached them one of them said "nice bike!" to me, and then they noticed that it was a damnation of an electric beast, made for cheating, and the abuse reigned. Hilarious.

Guitars and bikes (all two wheeled varieties) are my two main passions. Which guitar forum are you on Dave?
Hahaha, It must be like minded people gather together. I too have the same addictions with 7 electric guitars and recently a Kemper profiler.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Hahaha, It must be like minded people gather together. I too have the same addictions with 7 electric guitars and recently a Kemper profiler.

Awesome! I so want to get into a guitar conversation but it's off topic and might annoy the OP, oh, hang on, that's me....so what do you think of the Kemper and pray tell which 7 planks you spank?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada

I'm a mod at prsforums.com so you can guess what kind of guitars I prefer... as if my avatar didn't give it away already. Lol!
***EDIT***
Also hang around a lot at the official forum for PRS as well. Bunch of great guys/gals on both sites.

Last edited:

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
I'm a mod at prsforums.com so you can guess what kind of guitars I prefer... as if my avatar didn't give it away already. Lol!
***EDIT***
Also hang around a lot at the official forum for PRS as well. Bunch of great guys/gals on both sites.

Well waddaya know.....I'm a PRS nut too, I have four, and hang out on the official forum too, really top bunch on there. (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles