Most discreet way of carrying tools and tubes on your bike?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The EDC is flawed, it doesn’t have a CO2 inflation nozzle.
If you have the EDC pump, the head of that unscrews to be used as the nozzle...

If not .. yes, you're screwed, but I think if you use it in the headset mount or the 70cc pump, there's no space to screw on the CO2 bottle anyway.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The EDC is flawed, it doesn’t have a CO2 inflation nozzle.

Yah hah.
Screenshot 2022-08-14 at 2.42.51 PM.jpg

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
If you have the EDC pump, the head of that unscrews to be used as the nozzle...

If not .. yes, you're screwed, but I think if you use it in the headset mount or the 70cc pump, there's no space to screw on the CO2 bottle anyway.
CO2 doesn’t play nice with sealant. And the EDC holds a 16 gram cartridge which won’t fully inflate a 2.6 tyre. I’ve moved back to a pump with an EDC tool/plug kit in the headset, tubilito tube under the seat (which is almost invisible) and a quick link taped to my brake hose.

I do ride with a small hippack for water but I prefer to have my tools on the bike. Can’t forget to pack them that way.

Gordon

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I got have the wolftooth encase kit in my handlebars. Bought it on aliexpress for 26 euro ( obviously not the real thing). Apart from the chain breaker ( wich is actually rubbish and brakes straight away) it works great. Got send a new kit for 1 dollar when it chainbreaker broke, but it broke again. I now use the left side to stash my tireplugs quicklink.
View attachment 94659

I bought the real one but I can’t get the damn thing out of the bars without carrying another tool to help. Is there a trick to making this relatively easy to extract from the bars?

Gordon

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I bought the real one but I can’t get the damn thing out of the bars without carrying another tool to help. Is there a trick to making this relatively easy to extract from the bars?

Gordon
On my old bike it was fairly stuck to. On my new bike they almost fell out, had to secure them with a little electrical tap on the inside. Depends on the grips to I guess. Got ergon ga3 grips and that works good now.

Maybe spray some silicon spray on the inside of the bar so it slide out easy

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Just read somewhere an article with pictures of the bikes that raced the Leadville 100 mile race, and… guess how the winners of this 6 hours plus race on male and female a categories carry their tools? Saddlebags.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I've just ordered the OneUp 70cc pump with the Co2 can inside, will mount this near the water bottle. Also ordered the EDC steerer tube tools. I think that covers all bases. I don't like seeing stuff hanging off my bike, but I think the pump is small enough not to look too bad next to the water bottle.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I've just ordered the OneUp 70cc pump with the Co2 can inside, will mount this near the water bottle. Also ordered the EDC steerer tube tools. I think that covers all bases. I don't like seeing stuff hanging off my bike, but I think the pump is small enough not to look too bad next to the water bottle.

Did you order a tire plug kit to go with it? Or are you not running tubeless?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
yes I ordered the plug kit. so will have a pump (holding the Co2) all other tools in the steerer tube.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I’m not a fan of frame bags as I find they diminish the aesthetics of the frame but those look quite good. Especially the last black one. That is virtually undetectable.
Why do you hate seat bags?.

I‘ve tried them, just don’t like stuff hanging off the seat for some reason. I think the frame bags, if you have the right one, look much better. I do have the One Up EDC tool with pump on one bike, but I still carry an extra tube and plug kit, I have a derailleur hanger, master link, sh!t tickets, and an extra AXS battery (I only ride AXS on all 3 of my bikes; once I tried AXS shifting, everything else is garbage). I tried to put all of these extra items in my hip pack, but didn’t care for the extra weight on my low back. I carry all of these items for long loops; I’d prefer to never be stranded a long way from my truck.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Just read somewhere an article with pictures of the bikes that raced the Leadville 100 mile race, and… guess how the winners of this 6 hours plus race on male and female a categories carry their tools? Saddlebags.

That’s Leadville. Which is basically a gravel race for lunatics. Fine on a XC bike with a fixed seat post. With a dropper and rear suspension a saddle bag can be outright dangerous. Clearance is often measured in millimeters.

Gordon

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Kriega Hydro 3

Water, Crank Brothers multitool, spare tube, tyre levers, mini pump, keys, wallet, phone and snack. I know it's not exactly what the OP was after but it works really well for me because it holds all I need including water, it's comfortable and waterproof. The straps are wide and well designed so it doesn't feel heavy or bounce around.

kriega-hydro3-backpack-main.jpg

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
That’s Leadville. Which is basically a gravel race for lunatics. Fine on a XC bike with a fixed seat post. With a dropper and rear suspension a saddle bag can be outright dangerous. Clearance is often measured in millimeters.

Gordon

Aham

Gordon

Saddlebags also may be measurable in milimeters, if you’ve even mindede check those pictures.
1660825556009.jpeg

😉

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

Aham

Saddlebags also may be measurable in milimeters, if you’ve even mindede check those pictures.
View attachment 95132

😉
So you’ve put up a picture of a short dropper on a XC hardtail, with a saddle bag that’s maybe 15mm proud of the seat….. Thanks for helping prove my point.

Put that same saddle bag on a full sus trail/enduro bike with a full sized dropper and bottom it out, you could end up in hospital….

Anyone who’s silly enough to try it should lower their post and let the air out of their shock to see how much clearance they actually have. Doddy actually demonstrates how close the seat and rear wheel get on a recent GMBN Tech video when discussing rear wheel sizes.

Gordon

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
For shorter rides I put everything thing I need in this:

Longer I take a pack, but being in Brisbane sweat is an issue and a pet hate. I haven't found a solution I like for attaching this stuff to the bike. I've used Back Country straps and bags of various kinds but they always scuff the bike after a while.

I don't really notice the extra bit of weight on the hips and I'd rather it there than on the bike. I take multitool with chain breaker, little MTB pump, plugs, tire lever, chain link, valve tool and valve in that Camelpak Podium. If I'm going further from the car I'll add a tube and tire boot so I can deal with a tire slash, hopefully.

Last edited:

BigMark

Feb 10, 2020
When you have pushed your bike for miles to get to a place your buddies can come get you, you start carrying stuff...

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Tools are discreetly hidden in rucksack. View attachment 94723
Sleeping mat and Sleeping bag stove some food , compass etc. Bike tools. Most important items Hipper of Drambui and tin of Sweetheart stout . Not great cycling 15 miles with it this way so put it on back on way out. No jumping or roosters though. Bike lock for attaching to the Heather. Only left it for 6 hours though.
20220811_124323.jpg

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
What’s there to comment on?…..lol

You said it weighs 660gram, am I supposed to call you a liar?

I’m still puzzled how your replied the OP’s post about a discreet way to carry some tools is to suggest he strap a backpack to his head tube like you did. What exactly is discreet about that?

At about 7.5"x3.5"x4" the frame bag is just a weeny bit small for a backpack.

But I guess a backpack like this would satisfy your need to put fashion before function.
laugh.gif

Screenshot_20220819-094019_Chrome~2.jpg

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Kriega Hydro 3

Water, Crank Brothers multitool, spare tube, tyre levers, mini pump, keys, wallet, phone and snack. I know it's not exactly what the OP was after but it works really well for me because it holds all I need including water, it's comfortable and waterproof. The straps are wide and well designed so it doesn't feel heavy or bounce around.

View attachment 95082

I like this, looks very neat.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Kriega Hydro 3

View attachment 95082
Yep, not discreet as op is looking for, but I tried several under seat bags which I returned as they don’t work with a dropper. A fanny pack is not big enough for me and I have a fear of those large plastic snaps popping open and me losing the bag and my items (and wallet). Just a few days ago I was heating and bending the snap ears on my wife’s fanny pack as hers kept pulling apart by itself.

My Evoc arrived yesterday, but I have not opened the package yet (its been raining pretty hard so I’m in a state of temporary depression 😜) Comes with a 2L bladder (will hold up to a 3L) so I can stop juggling 2 plastic water bottles around too. A small backpack that I found in my basement and.tested for a few rides did not bother my low back, but my back was sopping wet on one of the rides on an 85 degree day.

I also figure a waist style pack is going to sweat underneath too and with a lot less room for stuff.

Hopefully, Evoc advertised that their bag runs cooler on your back. Don’t know yet. But I do like how narrow your bag is. Evoc does make narrower racer style bags, but I’m trying out a slightly wider model first that has a 12L volume first as I figure I’d have more room for some warmer clothing to to extend my biking season. Plus use it for skiing, traveling etc.

Even though this model does not come with a back protector, I figure it’s better than nothing to protect my back somewhat in a fall.

B434265A-6EF6-436F-9E5D-6DB0A5BC6D1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dax

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Here is a really good option for backpacks. It is by far the tightest fitting with least amount of movemeant. Also, I sweat a lot less with this pack than any other due to how/where it fits on you back. If you haven’t ever tried one, do yourself a favor. I generally use waist packs, but this comes out on really big rides.

USWE has top notch hip packs as well

2140DC9B-515A-4A1D-80ED-C981CF8812DF.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's worth considering the Specialized Mountain Bandit too .

1660909386440.png

You need a Specialized saddle to mount it to, but you may already have one and for me, they're quite comfortable.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I love the Evoc rucksacks but they get clartit in mud and never clean properly. I use a cheap Tomshock £26 one

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
At about 7.5"x3.5"x4" the frame bag is just a weeny bit small for a backpack.

But I guess a backpack like this would satisfy your need to put fashion before function.
laugh.gif

View attachment 95197

Are you still trying to come at me about this?

Honestly if you're still trying to convince yourself that your setup is discreet like the OP was asking for suggestions of you might as well be wearing that back pack while you ride. I'm surprised you don't have an iPad mount on your handlebar too.

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Are you still trying to come at me about this?

Honestly if you're still trying to convince yourself that your setup is discreet like the OP was asking for suggestions of you might as well be wearing that back pack while you ride. I'm surprised you don't have an iPad mount on your handlebar too.

If I (a) don't want something hanging off my saddle, and (b) don't want a rucksack on my back, and (c) have no space to fit a triangle bag in front of the water bottle, then other than spreading the repair parts etc. all over the bike which I think looks really scruffy, in your opinion what is the alternative to an 'indiscreet' top tube frame bag?

BTW I don't have removable end caps to my grips (Sensus) neither can I store anything in the steerer tube because I have a central Ram mount for my Garmin Montana 600 on a capless stem.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
If I (a) don't want something hanging off my saddle, and (b) don't want a rucksack on my back, and (c) have no space to fit a triangle bag in front of the water bottle, then other than spreading the repair parts etc. all over the bike which I think looks really scruffy, in your opinion what is the alternative to an 'indiscreet' top tube frame bag?

BTW I don't have removable end caps to my grips (Sensus) neither can I store anything in the steerer tube because I have a central Ram mount for my Garmin Montana 600 on a capless stem.

My guess is that @jbrown15 is never more than 30 minutes away from being able to walk out of a trail if he can't sort things out with the OneUp kit he can carry onboard. You guys need to give it a rest as you are on different ends of the spectrum, living on opposite sides of the world!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles