Tools on bike

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi all I'm trying to get to the point where on local ISH rides I can carry nothing on me as a back pack does my head in so I'll have a bottle on bike but I like to carry a tube,levers,co2,pump,multi tool,gear cable and quick link anybody found a saddle bag or frame bag that carries this but doesn't rattle like hell any suggestions welcome ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you carry co2 I see no need for a pump. No need for a gear cable either. You forgot a tube..even if you run tubeless. So you have 2 options or you can use both. First is the velcro strap type typically fitted on the front triangle, and the small saddle bag that only straps to the saddle rails and sits up under the saddle. That type can be used with a dropper. I use both and only carry a backpack with a larger range of spares on longer adventure rides.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I said tube ? Co2 is for quick inflation pump is just in case I've recently snapped a gear cable on rear mech and a dropper so carry one always ? the reason for all this is I fell off and had multitool in pocket that hurt landing on it lol

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
I always ride with a hydro pack which has room to carry all the stuff you mentioned and a snack bar or two. Even with nearly 2 litres of water I barely even notice it's there.

You should probably start carrying a spare inner tube as well

;)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I use a nukeproof horizon enduro strap to hold a small multitool and co2 canister, and then on the inside of the battery cover (there's a small gap between battery and cover - wide enough for a few small things) I have taped a spare chain quicklink, and some tubeless tyre plugs.

No need for a tube if you have tubeless tyre plugs, and no need for tyre levers if you're not carrying a tube. No need for a pump if you have Co2.

I dont carry a gear cable, as its really unlikely to snap if you regularly check it and replace if damaged, but if you must carry one, I'd think you could also tape one to the inside of the battery cover or maybe loop it up inside the handle bars.

This lot should enable me to fix any issues I get on a local'ish ride, if I get something that this cant fix then it wont be a long walk out. I havent had to walk out yet, from 2 years of riding local stuff with this.

Longer rides I have a backpack with spare gear cable, tubes, pump, food etc.

The steerer tube tools like the granite designs stash or the oneup EDC tool are pretty good, I have the granite designs tool on my other bike, but it wont fit the ebike as the fork steerer tube appears to have a thicker walled steerer tube.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I have 2 bikes so everything in an EVOC Race waist pack. Everything includes Stan's DART tubeless repair tool, CO2 and usual bike stuff, but no tube, a first aid kit and other human emergency stuff and a windproof. I never vary this as I don't see the logic of carrying more on a long ride.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
EDC one up tool is my favorite. I can also move this from bike to bike easily. I choose their pump with the tools and co2 inside. It saves my bacon and couple of my friends already. You can also store this on the steerer tube which is really slick. However my kiox is mounted on the steerer tube and I would need to carry a separate CO2 inflater. The pump head doubles as CO2 inflater, so it’s a matter convenience too. Watch the video I linked below.

I also strapped my Spare tube on the top tube using one up strap on one bike and voile strap on the other. The one up strap is better than voile but they only come in one size.

Last edited:

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I also tried a few saddle bag but none work as it rubs the tires, even the smallest one. However my favorite saddle bag is Cyckit Aeroclam.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Check out lezyne saddle bag......velcro srap around saddle rails and virtually disappears under the saddle...no rub on the tyre.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Check out lezyne saddle bag......velcro srap around saddle rails and virtually disappears under the saddle...no rub on the tyre.

Thanks. I did try that. As well as timbuk2. It rubs on my Orbea but not on my Giant. This prompt me to take the pressure on the shock all the way to zero and check the wheel travel. The orbea will rub no matter what. At full compression there barely any clearance to the saddle

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I use this bottle cage case and insert paper towel inside. No noise at all when closed.

F4E25F59-D2E9-4339-9435-4F97B03E0F94.jpeg
C675F3C5-009F-4CFE-858F-59DAE68453BB.jpeg

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I have this Topeak wedge. In it I carry 29" tube, 2 levers, plug kit, Park multi tool, old topeak multi tool, one of those small pliers multi tools that you get from a garage, pouch of stick on puncture pads, spare gear cable and zip ties, a few plasters and a £10 note.
Pump goes on the bottle cage, which is the Spec one with it's own little multi tool in it. So, like 4 multi tools actually, which is weird.

IMG_7432.JPG

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks. I did try that. As well as timbuk2. It rubs on my Orbea but not on my Giant. This prompt me to take the pressure on the shock all the way to zero and check the wheel travel. The orbea will rub no matter what. At full compression there barely any clearance to the saddle
That does not sound good! Maybe your seatpost/dropper is too low. If you are hiked back on the bike for a drop it is going to be difficult to avoid buzzing the tyre with your ass!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Dakine Hotlaps Gripper bag - best option IMO, had one for two years now and no issues, can be mounted in multiple places, stay rock solid, carries all you need, easy to swap between bikes, and has survived two British winters of mud and grime caking it, but keeping everything inside fine.

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 13.24.09.png

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 13.23.31.png

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 13.23.54.png

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 13.27.05.png

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 13.27.15.png

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 13.28.02.png

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Cage mounted pump from One-up with one co2 inside, 76Projects Little piggy and bag for multi tool chain links Tubolito tube keys etc, can mount anywhere and way more secure than Dakine Hotlaps or any other strap system.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Oneup have just released the EDC lite - shame it doesn't have a chain breaker

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Pump > CO2. Sometimes sh*t happens. Sometimes it happens more than once. Sometimes tire plugs don't hold. Take a pump. Or ride with someone who does.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I've got this bag and holds everything really well. Holds a tubeless repair set, multitool ,2 co2 cannisters with tip , tirelevers and quicklink and a small bottle of hand sanitizer

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Hi all I'm trying to get to the point where on local ISH rides I can carry nothing on me as a back pack does my head in so I'll have a bottle on bike but I like to carry a tube,levers,co2,pump,multi tool,gear cable and quick link anybody found a saddle bag or frame bag that carries this but doesn't rattle like hell any suggestions welcome ?
backpack :ROFLMAO:. I suppose it really depends where you ride. I'm probably 2hrs walk from any assistance wherever I ride; longer in many places. It's our summer now - I usually carry a litre of water too (first aid kit, tools, tube, plugs, pump, some survival gear, compass etc).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No, mostly random pics of internet to illustrate how you can mount the bag, this is my hotlaps on my Vitus, had it two years now and as good as the day I bought it

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 22.00.05.png

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I found a small soft phone case that I can attach to my frame using a long velcro strap(it needs to be long to go around the battery housing. The Dakine Hot Laps Gripper looks very good but the straps are not long enough and I'm not sure how it would work with a dropper post and 29" wheels). After a lot of trial and error I now carry a Tubolito spare tube, chain link pliers that can store a quick link and are also tyre levers, CO2 cartridge and inflator, a tubeless repair kit. On a long remote ride however I wouldn't muck about, all this and more goes in a back pack. The Tubolito solved a lot of the problems I was having in trying to pack small and light.

I find a pack uncomfortable on the back. A bum bag is better and you can get quite a lot into one but it still has it's down sides. Specifically it sometimes catches on the saddlle when putting your feet on the floor and getting back on again. Other than that it's quite unobtrusive and would be my second choice. I have an Orbea Wild and there is a section just above the motor that is perfect for frame style storage.

Al

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
This little bag used to work well for my daughter , it’s supposed to fit at the top behind the headstock but worked better at the lower end . . With an inner tube strapped to the frame . We later worked out full size tube wasn’t required with rat bite inserts , if a tyre was too badly damaged to plug a much smaller roadie sized tube fitted under the tyre insert did the trick , saving time and not having to carry a messy tyre insert

E635185B-CE2F-442A-99FF-6BB7CA1EAEDE.png

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I just picked up the camelback bike chase pack, its really small. And am looking to add some frame storage because of it.

Anyone finding the frame straps to be noisy or scratching the frame badly?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles