Kenevo Gen1 Kenevo 2020 - Annoying Rattle

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
So its new bike day first ride today on the Kenevo and did 80% of the 700w battery.

A couple of annoying niggles with the bike. Losing pressure from the dropper. (fuck sake) and a really annoying rattle.

The rattle i thought was cables inside the tube but i see they are clamped in 3 places. So unless they rattle in the top tube then im wondering if the battery can rattle inside the downtube?

Anyone got any ideas?

Munsen Weegie

Jun 18, 2019
Luton
check the bottle cage. mine was loose, I could swear it was the cables in the top tube but it was the bottle cage all along.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
check the bottle cage. mine was loose, I could swear it was the cables in the top tube but it was the bottle cage all along.

At first i thought i was the swat tool but i took that out and it wasnt. The cage does not seem loose but there is no bottle in there does it vibrate?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I have a rattle that I've decided that I'm just going to have to live with. I thought it was the battery was now i'm pretty convinced it's the sprag bearings in the motor when they are unloaded. I've ruled out everything else, even stripped the bike to a frame and motor and the rattle remained. Last motor did it too.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Losing pressure from the dropper. (fuck sake)
That is annoying I know. Is it the Command Post or X-Fusion? I ditched the Wu post on mine & the Reverb AXS has been fantastic apart from bricking it updating firmware & then being in service for a week.
The rattle I was going to say maybe battery but...

I have a rattle that I've decided that I'm just going to have to live with. I thought it was the battery was now i'm pretty convinced it's the sprag bearings in the motor when they are unloaded. I've ruled out everything else, even stripped the bike to a frame and motor and the rattle remained. Last motor did it too.
That to me sounds like you have very much narrowed it down. Is that a 2020 Kenevo? I see you have a 2020 Levo but still the same motor. So seems possible the sprag bearing issue is more evident in Mag S & less in Alu S in the -19 Kenevo & -18 Levo? Maybe Bearing Man has discounted that I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
That is annoying I know. Is it the Command Post or X-Fusion? I ditched the Wu post on mine & the Reverb AXS has been fantastic apart from bricking it updating firmware & then being in service for a week.

That to me sounds like you have very much narrowed it down. Is that a 2020 Kenevo? I see you have a 2020 Levo but still the same motor. So seems possible the sprag bearing issue is more evident in Mag S & less in Alu S in the -19 Kenevo & -18 Levo? Maybe Bearing Man has discounted that I'm not sure.
I have a feeling it might be the cables near the TCU. I'm going to investigate later. Doesnt sound like motor as it sounds like cable slapping the alu frame.

The dropper is annoying it's a command post. Typical specialized own brand junk. With the exception of roval their own stuff is shit.

I hate the idea if spending more money on a 7 grand bike but I think I might have to put a few upgrades on

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia

Yeah 2020 Levo but I figured the info was valid here too.

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
any fixes for this found? I know it's 2 years later, but I've had what sounds like cable rattle on my '22 since I bought it. I've tried shoving foam from a pool noodle (pipe insulation) in from the power button unit. wrapped the cables themselves individually in soft sleeves for cords... no fixes found yet.

Jason M.

May 19, 2022
RCHO STA MARG
check the groove nut on the chainring side of your crank arm
s166800011.jpg

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
Rattling? I appreciate the reply, but that thing is so machined to fit those threads and is on there so snug (I've pulled it off and put it on at least three or four times for various reasons), there is absolutely no way it could be rattling unless it's completely off and I would see it. Any other ideas?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Mine is also rattling. I think its the cables that enter under the side arm into the top top and along to the TCU.

When I get a chance I will take the shock out and stuff some bubblewrap inside the tubing to see if that helps. They really should add some kind of packing foam / damping material into there upon assembly I think.

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Mine is also rattling. I think its the cables that enter under the side arm into the top top and along to the TCU.

When I get a change I will take the shock out and stuff some bubblewrap inside the tubing to see if that helps. They really should add some kind of packing foam / damping material into there upon assembly I think.

PXL_20211211_221823533.jpg

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Than

That looks ideal (expensive though for what it is!)

Do you need to slice them along the length to fit onto pre installed cables?, or are they pre cut?
Yes, it's expensive for what it is. They are not pre-cut, you need to pull the cable/ hose out, sleeve over and slide them back in. I suppose you could slice it, but you would have to put some tape or zip ties on it to keep it in place.
The question is, did it help? I'd like to think so.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
So its new bike day first ride today on the Kenevo and did 80% of the 700w battery.

A couple of annoying niggles with the bike. Losing pressure from the dropper. (fuck sake) and a really annoying rattle.

The rattle i thought was cables inside the tube but i see they are clamped in 3 places. So unless they rattle in the top tube then im wondering if the battery can rattle inside the downtube?

Anyone got any ideas?
the cables do rattle in the top tube! usually right underneath the TCU. i would remove the TCU and pull out the extra length of cable floating around under there...add a couple extra zip ties to the cables and re-install. this is very common source of a rattle in these bikes.

dirty bob

Jan 17, 2019
CA
Did the wrapping and padding under the tcu. didn't solve it. going to try the area near the shock going up toward the tcu next. thanks for the suggestions guys.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles