Just say no to integrated batteries

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have one of those bikes that some think is pig ugly (Shimano BT-E8020 contained - Orange Surge). I bloody love how it looks and, more importantly for me, how it rides. There’s no mistaking it’s an eMTB!
I actually still like how the original Orange 222 looked with it's low slung top tube, clean lines and slack (for the time) H/A and low BB. But y'know what? There's not a single Orange FS bike in their 30yr+ history I've genuinely liked the ride of. Geometry has been good on a few over the years but that single pivot and leverage curve are just always a bit shit to ride.
Disclaimer: I haven't ridden a Surge (but can it really ride any better than the 20 other model Orange FS bikes I have ridden?)

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Well, I definitely preferred it to the Levo. I have nowhere near the experience of some on here though so by the time I get my next bike I’ll know even more what I’m aiming at.

And I’m not alone in liking an Orange ?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Levo wouldn't be my first choice either but at least Specialized put more thought into its rear suspension characteristics than.

Orange designer: "hmmm... maybe this year we could move our only frame pivot forwards by 2, or maybe 3mm?"
Orange Marketing executive: "Go with 2mm Son"" "3mm's for next years frames"
Orange owners everywhere: "It now rides soooo much better than last years"

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
has anyone ever had the battery nicked from their Emtb?

I think most bike thieves see the key by the battery and wonder how it opens the boot where the good stuff must be, like laptops and things .

Your more caring bike thief would steal the bike and leave the battery, so at least you don't feel so bad. Nick your battery and leave the bike - evil, pedaling home is a bitch.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Form vs Function - and we all have different ideas of what those two are (puts my popcorn down).

Take marriage for example. Don’t marry someone who doesn’t turn you on, otherwise you won’t have any offspring - unless of course if it is an arranged marriage that has political advantages for both of your kingdoms (but we know that often ends up in tragedy).

So folks, marry the one you love, and love the one you’re with - even if it naggs you later on and costs you more money than expected... the bike I mean. (picks-up some fruit because my wife just scolded me and took my popcorn away, apparently I need to eat healthily... mumble, mumble).

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
has anyone ever had the battery nicked from their Emtb?
That day, when your battery runs out and you think someone has nicked it ?‍♂️

4D6648CA-1B9F-4E77-884B-7942E7306730.png

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain

Spectral On with aluminum frame weights around 22.5 kgs, with no carbon at all, pretty heavy wheel set. With carbon fiber parts, including the frame this can go sub20 kgs and at reasonable price compared with other ebikes of same specs ...

You can say what you want on other subjects but the cost of no integrated batteries ebikes is fairly lower than the good looking heavy expensive ebikes, thats a fact. You can buy a carbon fiber dt hubs wheel set or a better fork and rear shock from what you are saving, if the bike already don’t come with pretty good specs

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh... do behave.
where are you going to get a one off Spectral: ON frame fabricated in Carbon?
The spectral:ON is 23kg with pedals. Please list where you'll save 3kg for a reasonable amount of money and leave the bike remaining useful.
You can buy a carbon fiber dt hubs wheel set or a better fork and rear shock from what you are saving,
you clearly misunderestimate the price of these parts and the minimal weight savings to be found from purchase.

I could get my E sommet to 20kg (with pedals) by simply replacing the dropper with the short seatpost from my dh bike and switching to a couple of flimsy 400g XC tyres and running 50g of sealant instead of the 150g I usually run. I wouldn't. But I could.

I'd love a sub 20kg Emtb... but not if it wasn't suitable for the sort of riding I actually do... and a Levo isn't that bike either. S-worx or otherwise.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Oh... do behave.
where are you going to get a one off Spectral: ON frame fabricated in Carbon?
The spectral:ON is 23kg with pedals. Please list where you'll save 3kg for a reasonable amount of money and leave the bike remaining useful.

you clearly misunderestimate the price of these parts and the minimal weight savings to be found from purchase.

I could get my E sommet to 20kg (with pedals) by simply replacing the dropper with the short seatpost from my dh bike and switching to a couple of flimsy 400g XC tyres and running 50g of sealant instead of the 150g I usually run. I wouldn't. But I could.

I'd love a sub 20kg Emtb... but not if it wasn't suitable for the sort of riding I actually do... and a Levo isn't that bike either. S-worx or otherwise.

Ok maybe you’re right or not, doesnt matter, but I can assure you Canyon
dont put any effort to try keep weight minimal other than the external battery. Still is 1kg to 1.5 kgs lighter than the average alu ebike. With external batteries sub20 will be,no question, easier to achieve and no question way cheaper.

All I say is ”trends” tend to devour everything, like the 29ers, and I want some of the big brands keep bringing cheaper and lighter ebikes. Keep the option to choose is always good.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you knew me you'd know already that I prefer external batteries. and know fine an external battery is the lighter design for an Aluminium frame.
the rest of what you are saying does not make any sense to me. Lost in translation perhaps?
but there aren't exactly a huge amount of sub 20kg emtbs around no matter what the material or battery location. so you're going to be paying a huge premium for that privelage.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
If you knew me you'd know already that I prefer external batteries. and know fine an external battery is the lighter design for an Aluminium frame.
the rest of what you are saying does not make any sense to me. Lost in translation perhaps?
but there aren't exactly a huge amount of sub 20kg emtbs around no matter what the material or battery location. so you're going to be paying a huge premium for that privelage.

Any translation problem here is my fault, sorry, my english used to be better ...

One thing I want to ask, why are the batteries not placed near the seat tube instead the front tube? Can’t be a 50/50 battery distribution front and rear possible? and then you can take the one on the front for a lighter setup and better weight distribution in a short ride.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't apologise.
My spanish is non existant save ordering" Dos Cervesas por fa vor" ;)
Remember true 50/50 weight distribution would also involve motor weight. so not just battery placement is important.
BTW No regular bikes have 50/50 weight distribution either.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Don't apologise.
My spanish is non existant save ordering" Dos Cervesas por fa vor" ;)
Remember true 50/50 weight distribution would also involve motor weight. so not just battery placement is important.
BTW No regular bikes have 50/50 weight distribution either.

Check the my engineer masterpiece desing above your message :LOL:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Once in a while I stop and take a look at my spectralon and I love it.
While I am riding it we surely look good.
Do not have any issues with dirt and fits a nice water bottle.
To load it to the truck its way more easy with the batterie off and carrying an extra one is ok.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Im a genius

Of course you are... in the Art world

Fuck Backpacks - IMO they are a pretty terrible place to add weight to a rider, not to mention hot sweaty and uncomfortable. ;)

I rarely carry water at all (Scotland isn't exactly known for it's high temperatures)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
What if I told you they are moving right away from bike mounted batteries ?
Yep, they are going to backpack batteries, making the lightest eMtb in the world.

24A9DE1D-808F-4454-82E9-98D18845EFF5.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@outerlimits I'm not sure whether you are jesting or not, but....

My backpack already weighs 7kg (Edit: I meant 7 pounds!) including 2 kg of water, so if I could transfer some of that crap to the bike and instead carry the battery on my back, you could be on to a winner!

The bike will be easier to lift over stiles and gates. Also easier to lift onto the roof rack or into the car. Definite winner.

How much does a battery weigh by the way?.............(goes into kitchen to find wife's scales)
My Focus TEC pack (378whr) weighs 2.24kg. I assume that the internal 378whr battery will weigh a bit less.

The problem will be the need to allow easy to disconnect cable connections for the number of time I part company with the bike, three times last outing (one OTB, one backwards over the saddle. and one sideways into the bushes). But the good news is that you get a built-in dead man's switch! :)

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
What if I told you they are moving right away from bike mounted batteries ?
Yep, they are going to backpack batteries, making the lightest eMtb in the world.
WTF?

Why are you carrying over a stone of shite stuff on your back to ride an Ebike in the woods?
Thats a bit crazy, 7kg. Mines probs 4kg tops when I got 3lt of water in it. I do carry a lot when I ride alone in remote areas. Water is never enough, have a bottle of electrolyte in the cage. It gets hot where I ride.
Battery backpacks are a thing for elec power tools for the garden.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles