I don't know what to say...

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Maybe in another 10 years, they'll figure out that you can also put an electric motor in one of those and create an Electric Gravel Bike Forum... and then have international e-GB series races... I don't know.

Pardon my cynicism... and I guess yeah sure, it's valid if viewed from a purist perspective... but I'm trying hard here, and I just keep missing the point... or should I say I keep slipping off the perspective perch.

Really please, be gracious to me and pardon my old age because I was around 45 years ago when the MTB was invented.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Definitely put a motor on a road or gravel bikes got less sense than enduro ebikes, first Is not as necessary because these are light bikes, with low resistance tires, short rigid chainstays, aero position ... everything is in favor of the pedal efficiency and power transfer while in enduro everything goes against it. But the most important and obvious is that goes against the spirit of the bike, no one in enduro wants climbing epic.

But hey, if you want to go a bit faster a bit further without killing your whole own input that made the ride funnier, maybe some riders want to take it less serious. Anyone that take it serious, just say no to ebikes

its up to you how much you want to be assisted

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Definitely put a motor on a road or gravel bikes got less sense than enduro ebikes, first Is not as necessary because these are light bikes, with low resistance tires, short rigid chainstays, aero position ... everything is in favor of the pedal efficiency and power transfer while in enduro everything goes against it. But the most important and obvious is that goes against the spirit of the bike, no one in enduro wants climbing epic.
Not necessary? Don't you believe it. Don't be surprised to find out that electric motors were first effectively utilised on road racing bicycles... hidden mini-motors and batteries housed inside the seat tube that drove a bevel-geared BB axle. Where do you think the accusation "that's cheating" started from... when analogue riders realise that your bike happens to have a motor?

It can also be said that in those instances, the world's first "integrated battery" on an eBike was invented... happy to accredit them for that.

However, recently I came across two lofty statements about them... one being "mountain bikes have become so boring we came up with a gravel bike to bring back excitement into the sport" or like this one, "the world's first full suspension gravel bike" - I just don't know how to deal with how underwhelming these claims strikes me. Did they really mean that, or is it all tongue-in-cheek, or is it just click-bait to boost views? :unsure:

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I went back to review this thread, just to check if I had been discourteous. I couldn't remember if I was hungry/grumpy/hangry at the time when I wrote it... perhaps I was. :giggle:

I have a very good friend who is an avid road cyclist. He doesn't play in my sandbox, and I don't play in his... but there's tremendous mutual respect between us including our cycling endeavours. I also have an acquaintance that's really into gravel bikes and he came to visit recently to talk about bike design and geometry, etc. I can see his passion and fully appreciate the joy and fulfilment he has in pursuing this gravel bike niche. I'm also very impressed that he's intending to custom-build one of his own, and I encouraged him fully.

So just to clarify, I have no quarrel with gravel bikes. If cyclists enjoy riding a road bike variant, off-road then well and good (new perspective, fresh air, exercise, get out of the house, kick depression in the gut... all good stuff).There's already enough hate between various cycling sub-cultures and the last thing we need is another one.

I guess my quarrel is with reckless or perhaps ill-conceived marketing hype, which can be harmful to which ever sport we are trying to promote. At first I kinda got miffed when I heard those lofty claims about how boring MTBiking has become and that gravel bikes are the antidote which I mentioned earlier... maybe that was what it was meant to do and I got suckered-in. But then I also realised that maybe stuff being said like this is already a response to some flak the gravel bike proponents are already receiving. So maybe I unknowingly got a sneak peek into a cauldron that's already boiling underneath the surface, I don't know.

Lastly, I would like to somehow realign the offence I took when I first saw the phrase "World's First Full Suspension Gravel Bike." Technically this is probably true provided that I can accept that a gravel bike exists in a universe on it's own... which I respectfully believe it doesn't.

Let me explain my sentiment but painting a picture in reverse. Say a decent segment of mountain bikers felt that riding around in trails was getting stale, and so in the beginning we started riding our MTBikes on the road. To make it work better we swapped our fat knobby tires with thinner slicks. But we want our own niche identity and we don't want to be associated with the road cycling scene nor the commuter scene - so we call our hybrid bikes "Tarmac Bikes." During it's evolution we realised that we don't actually need suspension, plus it silly carrying all that extra weight. Then we make an announcement... "World's First Fully Rigid Tarmac Bike." How's that sound to you?

My message is this: Live and let live... but please be careful with marketing hype.

Last edited:

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
for someone who "doesn't know what to say", you've certainly said a lot! ;)

that said, I agree with you

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
for someone who "doesn't know what to say", you've certainly said a lot! ;)

that said, I agree with you
Haha, you beat me to it. I was about to post the exact same thing, now that I’ve had a chance to think things through. :giggle:

I should change the title to “At first I didn’t know what to say.“ :cool:

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Not necessary?

Not that necessary, on road or gravel on these bikes is virtual no drag, on a fire road with just a few bumps soil stones etc in a mtb bike requieres more input

And aside that, in mtb maybe you dont want to pedal and go for the technical stuff, but also you just “can’t pedal” more than 10 miles with a good pace with a bit of steep and loose stones on the fire road ... on road or gravel you want mainly to pedal and then is way easier to pedal

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I’m a E-Mountain biker who identifies as a Mountain biker, but sometimes as a Gravel biker, a Road Biker or a Tarmac biker, but I always ride a EMtb ?‍♂️ Just because I was born a E-Mountain biker, and look like a E-Mountain biker, and ride a eMtb means nothing, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. So don’t go discriminating against me no mater what you ride, because we all ride, and that’s what’s important.

Chubba

Sep 17, 2019
Cape Town, South Africa
My message is this: Live and let live... but please be careful with marketing hype.

I agree, completely. I believe, like all industries, marketing hype drives consumer choice. Just look at the debate between 26, 27.5 and 29 size wheels. I remember when I started MTBing, 30 years ago, the full-suspension bike was seen as just marketing hype. I think like all innovations, some will work and persist and others will die. Niner, in particular, has had a few rough years, so they need a win I guess.

The point as you express it, each to their own and just have a blast whatever you want to ride, because who in their right mind spends so much money on a bicycle without wanting to have fun!

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I’m a E-Mountain biker who identifies as a Mountain biker, but sometimes as a Gravel biker, a Road Biker or a Tarmac biker, but I always ride a EMtb ?‍♂️ Just because I was born a E-Mountain biker, and look like a E-Mountain biker, and ride a eMtb means nothing, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. So don’t go discriminating against me no mater what you ride, because we all ride, and that’s what’s important.

hey man while you don’t hurt nobody do what you want don’t even need to give any explain, ride whats make you happy and if people don’t like it ...

... uncle vester has the final word in this subject

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Just like the so called music industry. For me music is ... art . Sometime I like it, sometimes don´t, some music make sense to me, other don´t. But industry, and some people needs to put everyting in to labels. Rock, Jazz, World music (what the f...k is world music !?) , etc etc.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahaha I was waiting for that.
I can do it if there’s no other selections but fruit doesn’t belong on pizza.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
next you'll be skipping eggs?

ps you know that red stuff on the pizza...it's a fruit

Not a fan of the egg either. Once again only when all the good pizzas are gone will I ingest that.

Tomato is technically a fruit but it really is a vegetable.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Not even tomatoes?
As above I’ve always looked at a tomato as a vegetable. No one stores them in a fruit bowl. No one normal eats them on there own. No one normal drinks tomato juice with breakfast or vodka, whiskey etc

Even though it’s technically a fruit, I class it as a vegetable

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
At our local Pizza place they do a lot of the bases as Cream, instead of Tomato .. The Hawaiian is Chicken curry and pineapple on a cream base ...

More importantly you've all turned GPB's thread into something productive ! :)

Most alcoholic drinks are vegi based .. do you have any similar hangups ?

No one normal drinks tomato juice with breakfast or vodka,

Bloody Mary (cocktail) - Wikipedia

How else do you start the day ! :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
At our local Pizza place they do a lot of the bases as Cream, instead of Tomato .. The Hawaiian is Chicken curry and pineapple on a cream base ...

More importantly you've all turned GPB's thread into something productive ! :)

Most alcoholic drinks are vegi based .. do you have any similar hangups ?

Bloody Mary (cocktail) - Wikipedia

How else do you start the day ! :)
Bloody Mary is disgusting,
V8 juice is disgusting,
Cream based pizza also sounds disgusting

Capricciosa pizza
Tomato sauce base, ham, cheese, mushrooms, olives and anchovies

That is a real pizza and really the only one they need to make. The rest are just try hard variants, I will eat them but they will never live up to the capricciosa.

as for hang ups, lol there’s not enough time on the forum.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Actually no I will state one.

I HATE with a passion ads on any forum I visit. I am so saddened and disappointed that this forum has now has them and you will most likely find that I slowly disappear.
I would of gladly donated to the forum to prevent this from happening but I was not given the option and I feel they have now sold themselves out.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

I HATE with a passion ads on any forum I visit. I am so saddened and disappointed that this forum has now has them and you will most likely find that I slowly disappear.
I would of gladly donated to the forum to prevent this from happening but I was not given the option and I feel they have now sold themselves out.
Doesn't that depend on if you find the adverts intereresting or attractive ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.
Capsicum is also a fruit ?‍♂️
Do you like Vegimite ?
I blame @Zimmerframe for the adds. They do keep him amused tho.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

Are yoh getting the same add ? The one with what I assume is zimm being chased by Gary.

I'm slowly putting the pieces together - zim posted pics of his light blue bike in the flat section, she's flat. And toothless. Not wearing any upper body protection. And Gary is up out or the seat.

Yeah, adds can get a bit disturbing. All that white supremacy pure ride stuff, bro....makes you want to smear some nutella on their strawberries, splash on some vodka and .....sorry, where was I ?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Doesn't that depend on if you find the adverts intereresting or attractive ?
I don’t know what ads you people are getting but I’m am referring to the ones that pop up everyone I click on a Notification and it comes up with a screen that I have to click out of before I can read my shit.
I very much so dislike this.
I don’t mind the ads that are in the background but when you take away my freedom to look at things as I please I get upset.
It’s all about choice and they’ve taken it away from me.
?

But really

?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles