What motors don't rattle on descent?

amityxd

Jun 21, 2022
Poland
After two years my Bosch CX Gen4 motor sounds like a giant box of nails on descent as well as on every other bump. I'm really tired of it. Bosch's response saying it's not an issue is absurd and unacceptable. In my opinion it's a huge design flaw but they just afraid to admit it. I will never buy an ebike with Bosch motor ever again.

Do you know what are the motors that don't rattle or clack even after a year or two? For now I'm aware that both Bosch and Shimano have this problem and it's permanent.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I checked their website and apparently they're using now its own motor - Specialized Turbo Full Power System Motor

Which is made by Brose.

There's also Yamaha which has no rattle. Bafang. And the older Shimano and Bosch motors.

So basically anything but the current Shimano and Bosch motors is OK.

Gordon

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
After I was concerned from a review of excess motor noise on a Trek Powerfly that I was considering purchasing . . . I also watched this Youtube comparing each brands motor noise both up and down the hills. It's by Rob the owner of this forum
:

amityxd

Jun 21, 2022
Poland
I did some research on Brose motor and while it has some advantages over Bosch reliability is terrible. My Bosch never failed me once during two years of using it. I guess you can get used to that motor rattle but if you also own a quiet analog full sus bike then going back to emtb is a terrible experience. It's sad that in 2022 ebikes are still "choose your poison" kind of thing.
Have you identified the source of the rattle from the motor?
It's a known issue since Bosch introduced CX Gen4 motor.
After I was concerned from a review of excess motor noise on a Trek Powerfly that I was considering purchasing . . . I also watched this Youtube comparing each brands motor noise both up and down the hills. It's by Rob the owner of this forum
Then I'm suprised why he chose Trek Rail as his emtb. This is exactly the bike I'm complaining about :p.
My Reign E+ with new yamaha moor is pretty quiet on descents.
Thanks. I'm checking Yamaha now.

Last edited:

ebikenut

Jun 30, 2022
Mississauga
Either I haven’t noticed or mine doesn’t do it (yet). I’m assuming the 2022 smart system is just a 4th gen motor with no internal changes and just the protocol difference between components? (Ie the smart system isn’t considered 5th generation right?).

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Either I haven’t noticed or mine doesn’t do it (yet). I’m assuming the 2022 smart system is just a 4th gen motor with no internal changes and just the protocol difference between components? (Ie the smart system isn’t considered 5th generation right?).

Ive heard the smart system gen4 on the MY22 and newer has less noise than the earlier models

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
Ive heard the smart system gen4 on the MY22 and newer has less noise than the earlier models
The smart system Gen4 on my 22 Cannondale rattles (when not pedalling) as if it's full of loose parts, it's also quite noisy when delivering power, sounds like a car with a whining diff.

After 3 years with a silent Brose it's really quite annoying, the price to be paid for reliability I suppose.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
The Dyname 4.0 on my rocky mountain doesnt rattle. The battery on the other hand....:LOL:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles