Is motor rattle acceptable?.

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire
I have owned an Orbea Rise for 6 months and I absolutely love the bike. I was aware of the ep8 motor rattle before buying the bike, and on the whole, the noise doesn’t bother me.

What does bother me, however, is the fact that with all the time and investment that has gone into producing such a refined piece of technology they haven’t found a way to completely eliminate this noise all together.

We wouldn’t accept a motor rattle if it was on a brand new Motorcycle, even if it didn’t effect the performance or make it dangerous to ride, so why do we accept it on an Ebike?.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I guess if you knew it rattled when you bought it, you have accepted motor rattle on ebikes (or your ebike at least) 🤷‍♂️

not all motors rattle so its kind of a weird question, if you can put up with it, you can get one that rattles, if you cant put up with it, dont.

as for motorcycles, have you ever heard a ducati dry clutch :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Rattle hating can become tragic…
F4478691-6824-40A2-A1A4-1FFF4D8744B7.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I awaited my EP8 rattle with bated breath. I had to listen especially for it. I now know that it only happens on rough trails when I'm not pedalling. But I could hardly hear it. I suspect I have got used to it because I can't recall hearing it for a long time now. Maybe there something wrong with the motor? :eek: Has it become clogged with crap that is silencing the rattle? Or is my hearing getting worse? :unsure:

PS:The rattle is due to a component that allows the motor to have reduced friction when you are not pedalling. So its' a swings and roundabouts situation.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My ear charts are like that. I refer only to the shape of the curves, I can't recall where the numbers are compared to yours. What I can recall is that for me, the section from zero to 1K is "normal" - whatever that is.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
My ear charts are like that. I refer only to the shape of the curves, I can't recall where the numbers are compared to yours. What I can recall is that for me, the section from zero to 1K is "normal" - whatever that is.

My wife is medical and got pissed off with my high frequency hearing loss hearing loss so did these tests which show it. Strangely, she doesn't get pissed off with me doing maintainance on her bike ;)

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I don’t understand why you would worry about motor friction if your not pedalling.
True, because the freewheel would be isolating the drive anyway - so there would be no additional drag.

But if you pedal with the motor turned off, or pedal above the assistance limit, you don't want there to be drag from the motor, so you want an effective/efficient disengagement system.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles