Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Oval chainrings

Votes: 21 21.2%

• Total voters

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Why would anyone put an oval chainring on an ebike, surely the chainring has to be in a specific place in relation to the cranks to work

It seems a bit odd at first but you get used to it and it gives you a bit more power to get up and over things

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
And a nice Haynes manual on motor strip down and rebuild specific to your motor.

Ah, Haynes manuals. :love:
I had one of those for the first ten (?) cars I owned. Until I bought a car that they had no manual for. This coincided with me not having the time to change my own clutch, or to remove and strip down the engine (done both, nearly brought down my uncle's garage on top of my Triumph 1300! :D) I still have those manuals, complete with oily fingerprints, but I never bought another one. They were enormously popular in their day, but YouTube has put paid to that I suspect. :unsure:

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
It seems a bit odd at first but you get used to it and it gives you a bit more power to get up and over things
Sorry but it can't possibly work on an ebike, the cranks are not always in the right place for oval part to work, if you have bought an oval chainring for your ebike you wasted your money

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
But the cranks can move independently of the chainring, so once you backpedal, the ideal position of the cranks wrt the oval is lost. Then it will make things worse! :eek:

I agree that on a normal bike an oval chainring gives benefits, but on an eBike? :unsure:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
But the cranks can move independently of the chainring, so once you backpedal, the ideal position of the cranks wrt the oval is lost
I hadn't even visualised that ! :) Go Steve Go ! You could argue that it takes any familiarity and mundaneness (making up words) out of gear selection.

@Beekeeper Did you go OTT on trying to bling the new bike ?? :) I think we need a new post about "Bee Bling ... is it a sting.."

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
But the cranks can move independently of the chainring, so once you backpedal, the ideal position of the cranks wrt the oval is lost. Then it will make things worse! :eek:
Yeah, a lot of people forget that an eBike has two ratchets (one at the cassette and one at the motor/crank axle).

I agree that on a normal bike an oval chainring gives benefits, but on an eBike? :unsure:
Not without its downsides on manual bikes either. Apparently the incessant chain growth pulse eventually wears out clutch mechanisms prematurely on clutched derailleurs.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I guess Speed Limiter is not in the options because its going to win

By the way, just say no to people that like Pop Tarts without frosting on them, those creeps hide something

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
By the way, just say no to people that like Pop Tarts without frosting on them, those creeps hide something
Yikes! That's like eating Paella without seafood! ;)

Before anyone else goes searching for what he meant, apparently there is a food called pop tarts, ie they're not the latest female teen band. Oh, and frosting is this liquid stuff mixed with cream cheese.
You gotta watch out with these spanish eBikers aye... you just never know if what they're talking about are sexual innuendos!

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
@GrandPaBrogan im from (not living) the very north of Spain, Cantabrian sea end, so I’m not into all that Spaniard typical culture bullshit thing, but original a Paella ? has not seafood!

The other issue:

eng_pl_Pop-Tarts-Unfrosted-Strawberry-1087_1.jpg

ok, keep going with the thread

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I had no idea pop tarts were still even a thing until you mentioned them here the other day.
Were you sent forwards in time from the 80s to revive their popularity?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I had no idea pop tarts were still even a thing until you mentioned them here the other day.
Were you sent forwards in time from the 80s to revive their popularity?

I still play from time to time with my Atari 2600 so ... just say no to Google Stadia and Levos without display

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

Who says my cranks move independently to my chain ring? I beg to differ...

1ABADDD2-905D-472F-B3D8-8D6AB9F3B1C8.jpeg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Thats quite a big motor on that bike!
Has a few advantages, self cooling, needs no battery, and sure as heck, noone would steal it!
Yeah, but that's one of the loudest motors in the market at the moment... on turbo mode it sounds like a swarm of bees.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Damn .. beat me to it .. I was going to suggest it was the new Yamahive ..

So the real reason you have an oval chainring is that it was the only chainring you could find which had pictures of bees on ? :)

It simply complements my favourite bedtime drink after an exhausting day on the trails getting nowhere.

4A172CFB-3FF0-4F9B-9924-9CE747394FC7.jpeg

Billywhizz

Jun 24, 2019
TS147LN
After the “Just Say NO to intergrated batteries” thread. I was thinking it was time for another poll on what we really should be saying no to.
Also if you have any worthy addition you would like added then I’ll see if I can add them.
Multiple choice but a maximum of 3.
Give us your top 3 so we can see what we really should say no to.

let it rip ?
Thin light weight tyres

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles