Just bought the Thule XT Easyfold for my Sportage and Ebike - Brilliant! [video]

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I have one of these and not had any problem in 2 years of use it works really well and has never scratched or marked the paint on the bike.

‘it’s expensive but the best I have found here in Aust

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
No mate, I owned this thing for years. I know exactly how it works and i dont need no youtube video to tell me how it works.

Fake? Jog on.

Those clamps SUCK. they are not designed to hold fat frames or frames which are not a simple alu tube. You cant put enough tension on the frame without risking damage to the cabon frame. THEY SUCK. I know because twice my Sworks Enduro nearly ended up bouncing down the M6. I looked in the mirror and the bike was gone. Thankfully it was laying down being held on by only the plastic straps - NOT GOOD.

Guaranteed to hold 2 bikes? Why dont you demonstrate how you plan on fixing two of those Haibikes on to that rack... I can tell you that its nearly impossible to get 2 full suspension bikes on that rack especially if they have FSR designed suspension. There is no way you can get the long arm to the second bike because the first bike is in the way.

Good luck getting 3 bikes on one that is hilarious.
If you don’t like the rack why did you keep it for years. Just asking.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
No mate, I owned this thing for years. I know exactly how it works and i dont need no youtube video to tell me how it works.

Fake? Jog on.

Those clamps SUCK. they are not designed to hold fat frames or frames which are not a simple alu tube. You cant put enough tension on the frame without risking damage to the cabon frame. THEY SUCK. I know because twice my Sworks Enduro nearly ended up bouncing down the M6. I looked in the mirror and the bike was gone. Thankfully it was laying down being held on by only the plastic straps - NOT GOOD.

Guaranteed to hold 2 bikes? Why dont you demonstrate how you plan on fixing two of those Haibikes on to that rack... I can tell you that its nearly impossible to get 2 full suspension bikes on that rack especially if they have FSR designed suspension. There is no way you can get the long arm to the second bike because the first bike is in the way.

Good luck getting 3 bikes on one that is hilarious.
2 bikes yes
1 points left, 1 points right, simmples
regarding youre bike boucing down the M6
when i had a carbon i clamped between the jaws
not too tight , then i lashed a luggage strap around
the top tube and clamp.
never went on M6 but did M1,M5,A42,A30,A38
probably 5 times a year
think outside the box £2.50 strap

Last edited:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
To me it was obvious you had one pointing left and mounted the other pointing right to stop handlebars fouling each other. Tend to mount my Large nearest car with the Medium further out, leaving a spare in case we take our son on his regular MTB.

I have the 3 bike fixed version (non-foldable) with extendable wheel channels for longer bikes. Mine is the Thule VeloCompact 3 bike model 927. Still has the ability to access boot/trunk.

I'll try and post a pic a weekend with the two on.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
To quickly surmise then as this seems to keep going round in the same circle and I'm scared Eddy will arrive shortly to tell us about Bike Rack and bike rack pronunciation conspiracy theories :

Nicely made bike rack which lots of people like and have great success with, though some people might find it incompatible with certain bikes OR bike combinations when loading more than one bike. Especially if you try to mount three bikes on the two bike carrier. ;) :eek:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Every time this rack is reviewed we have the same conversation ?‍♂️

Its a good rack and the foldaway aspect is neat, but like all racks, and all external bike carrying methods it has its plusses and minuses. I was carrying my then carbon bike around on an earlier incarnation over a decade ago and you had to be very careful clamping the bike so as not to damage it, especially the paintwork.

These racks move around more than you think, and if you clamp the bike too tightly on a carbon frame it can damage the bike, too loose and it will do cosmetic damage. I got around it by using pipe insulation round a microfibre cloth under the clamp.

I switch to roof racks after a while because I didn't like how much crap from the road got onto the bikes when out back, plus I never got use to how much the bikes stick out either side of the car - used to get very nervous on narrow lanes when passing other traffic.

Still think that storing the bike inside is the best way if easy to do in your car, I use a roof rack for localish journeys, in the car for longer.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
To quickly surmise then as this seems to keep going round in the same circle and I'm scared Eddy will arrive shortly to tell us about Bike Rack and bike rack pronunciation conspiracy theories :

Nicely made bike rack which lots of people like and have great success with, though some people might find it incompatible with certain bikes OR bike combinations when loading more than one bike. Especially if you try to mount three bikes on the two bike carrier. ;) :eek:
1613723591018.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
*Is it just me or is the forum running like crap?*
Are you running like crap ? Do you have any youtube video's of your running normally and how you're running now ? What are you doing with your arms ? Arms makes a lot of difference.

Mine's been sluggish ever Since Hodge overloaded it by uploading a whole film frame by frame. It's still processing in the background I think..

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
The frame grips on my Buzzrack are at their limit, but OK for me.

There are, however, frame grips that seem to be designed for wider frames:
View attachment 53404
I've seen others with a nicer cushioning on the non-strap side, but can't find a pic at the moment.
How much is the Thule - I dont think the price was mentioned in the review?

If you dont have a van every option has its compromises though I still think putting the bike inside is better than any outside option, I am not a fan of hitch racks as I know a few people who have had clamps fail, and the fact the bike is in the line of fire for road salt/crap etc in bad conditions, though the covers are a good solution for this. How compact the Thule folds away is a nice feature.

Best hitch rack I have seen is the Saris MTR, but its bit of a monster, but it takes LWB bikes, and holds them super secure without clamps on the frame. Only seen it in the US so not sure if available in the UK/EU

View attachment 53407

View attachment 53408
wow. that MTR looks the business. Might take a further look into that option. Wonder how heavy it is?
I have a Thule 3 bike tow ball hitch. I don't like the clamping. I also struggle with the weight when installing on my own. Therefore, I now only use it when there is more than one bike and hence more than one person loading.
When I am alone, which is most of the time, I use a very light pro-ride, which was less than 100 quid. It has the type of strap clamp shown by Tim 1023 above. this works very well on ant tube shape, but you do need extra protection (old sock in my case). There is also a back-up strap, which I think is essential for most designs including the Thule. maybe not the MTR shown above.
The proride is too short for longer MTBS like my Whyte, so I have had to extend it with some plastic guttering. That doesn't look the best and was obviously a bit of faff, but very happy with it now. It is quick and easy to install, being carried in one hand.
I used to have a very old Volvo estate, where the acoustic bike was just thrown in with wheels still fitted. that was awesome, although with an ebike I think it would kill my weak back. I sadly waved goodbye to that car after 18 years and now have an SUV which my wife insisted needed a cream interior - ahhhhh. Hence the towbar solution is now the only option.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
wow. that MTR looks the business. Might take a further look into that option. Wonder how heavy it is?
I have a Thule 3 bike tow ball hitch. I don't like the clamping. I also struggle with the weight when installing on my own. Therefore, I now only use it when there is more than one bike and hence more than one person loading.
When I am alone, which is most of the time, I use a very light pro-ride, which was less than 100 quid. It has the type of strap clamp shown by Tim 1023 above. this works very well on ant tube shape, but you do need extra protection (old sock in my case). There is also a back-up strap, which I think is essential for most designs including the Thule. maybe not the MTR shown above.
The proride is too short for longer MTBS like my Whyte, so I have had to extend it with some plastic guttering. That doesn't look the best and was obviously a bit of faff, but very happy with it now. It is quick and easy to install, being carried in one hand.
I used to have a very old Volvo estate, where the acoustic bike was just thrown in with wheels still fitted. that was awesome, although with an ebike I think it would kill my weak back. I sadly waved goodbye to that car after 18 years and now have an SUV which my wife insisted needed a cream interior - ahhhhh. Hence the towbar solution is now the only option.
been looking at the Saris MTR 2 on line. it's not obviously available in the UK, but maybe a dealer could get one. It's only rated to 60lb for 2 bikes. That's only a bit more than the weight of my one Ebike. It's defintely no light-weight and is pretty expensive too. As a few people have said it's all a question of compromises in the end. No one solution will be optimal for everyone.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
been looking at the Saris MTR 2 on line. it's not obviously available in the UK, but maybe a dealer could get one. It's only rated to 60lb for 2 bikes. That's only a bit more than the weight of my one Ebike. It's defintely no light-weight and is pretty expensive too. As a few people have said it's all a question of compromises in the end. No one solution will be optimal for everyone.
actually price wise it isn't as far from the Thule as I thought - hadn't checked prices of the Thule for last 5 years!

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
Just curious...how much extra weight do all the lights,etc. required in the UK/EU add to the weight of the rack?? I'm not familiar with EU models but can you get a rack with smaller, more compact LED lights?

rochrunner

Mar 30, 2020
Rochester Hills, MI, USA
We really like ours. My wife and I both have e-bikes with fenders and my wife's is a step-thru so most typical clamping methods don't work very well; this one works great! And for much of last season I was recovering from a back injury (not bike-related) and there was no way I could lift a 55-lb bike onto the rack. So when by myself I used the included folding ramp -- not as easy to use as expected, but it did the job.

Picking up from the dealer:
2020-03-09 14.21.28.jpg

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
I bought this rack too and ended up returning it because that arm didn't fit my e bike. Also, it didn't work with two bikes. The arm wouldn't go through the first bike and couldn't reach the second one

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles