Just bought the Thule XT Easyfold for my Sportage and Ebike - Brilliant! [video]

Fiord

Aug 3, 2020
New Zealand
Well no some bikes are impossible to carry more than one bike when used on the rack The rack can carry badly 1 carbon enduro as long as you buy and use a load of other straps to secure it. The clamps still suck and are a terrible design. The wheelbase still doesn't fit properly a medium frame kenevo or any long slack wheelbase bike.

You shouldn't have to buy a rack and find out when it arrives that the 3 bike carrier only kind of fits one bike. Not for the money they charge.

It wouldn't be that hard to fix the design by using different clamps and different arm designs which you could bend or adjust. The 3 bike design is hilarious because bike 2 and 3 are fixed together with a short double clamp which is totally useless.

Try carrying 3 Levos on the 3 bike carrier... let me know how that works out.
Just checked my Thule and yes it will carry 3 Levos with ease ! - 1st arm to top of frame - 2nd arm under battery of 1st levo to seat stay of 2nd levo - 3rd arm behind seat stay of 1st levo, under battery of 2nd levo onto seat stay of 1st levo - 4th arm between bikes 3&4. I dont consider this arm "useless" - it does exactly what I want - that is securing the last 2 bikes without having to run a 4th arm all the way back to the rack frame which would be tricky. "Bending arms" could be easier but at the expense of complexity which could lead to failure. Need to get all pedal positions correct as would be expected.
While the arm grip shape may not suit every bike they grip fine on all of my aluminium frame bikes. For carbon frames the Thule Carbon Frame Protector is required.
My rack is the VeloSpace XT 3 with 4th bike attachment. The extra width provided gives greater flexibility in moving the bikes slightly which makes all the difference with positioning the arms. You would probably lose this flexibility with the compact or folding models. My rack can fit a long wheel base Kenevo fine.
Unfortunately a bit of research is often required to make sure a product is fit for what you want to use it for. However I had no trouble finding all of this info on the Thule website before I purchased.
I have read some comments about back strain lifting the larger VeloSpace XT 3. The way to avoid this is to stand INSIDE the rack, lift up, walk to vehicle and place onto the towball.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thules own bike covers are not recommended for use with a tow ball carrier - have to say I would be concerned about the wind sheer if using a cover.

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
Just checked my Thule and yes it will carry 3 Levos with ease ! - 1st arm to top of frame - 2nd arm under battery of 1st levo to seat stay of 2nd levo - 3rd arm behind seat stay of 1st levo, under battery of 2nd levo onto seat stay of 1st levo - 4th arm between bikes 3&4. I dont consider this arm "useless" - it does exactly what I want - that is securing the last 2 bikes without having to run a 4th arm all the way back to the rack frame which would be tricky. "Bending arms" could be easier but at the expense of complexity which could lead to failure. Need to get all pedal positions correct as would be expected.
While the arm grip shape may not suit every bike they grip fine on all of my aluminium frame bikes. For carbon frames the Thule Carbon Frame Protector is required.
My rack is the VeloSpace XT 3 with 4th bike attachment. The extra width provided gives greater flexibility in moving the bikes slightly which makes all the difference with positioning the arms. You would probably lose this flexibility with the compact or folding models. My rack can fit a long wheel base Kenevo fine.
Unfortunately a bit of research is often required to make sure a product is fit for what you want to use it for. However I had no trouble finding all of this info on the Thule website before I purchased.
I have read some comments about back strain lifting the larger VeloSpace XT 3. The way to avoid this is to stand INSIDE the rack, lift up, walk to vehicle and place onto the towball.
nice one bud
you watch it now, someone will come on with 4 levo`s

Fiord

Aug 3, 2020
New Zealand
nice one bud
you watch it now, someone will come on with 4 levo`s
Ha ! Might as well be me !
4 would be fine as last bike is the easiest to fit with a simple connector between bikes 3 & 4. Need to use shortest wheelbase for last bike as 4th rack is a bit shorter. I would remove batteries of 2 embts too as slightly over maximum recommended weight.
I purchased this rack , so that when my 2 boys have full size bikes (non electric) and are kicking my ass on the trails, I wont need to buy a new rack. Hopefully !

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
Ha ! Might as well be me !
4 would be fine as last bike is the easiest to fit with a simple connector between bikes 3 & 4. Need to use shortest wheelbase for last bike as 4th rack is a bit shorter. I would remove batteries of 2 embts too as slightly over maximum recommended weight.
I purchased this rack , so that when my 2 boys have full size bikes (non electric) and are kicking my ass on the trails, I wont need to buy a new rack. Hopefully !
dare i say 5:giggle:

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
dare i say 5:giggle:
i`ll have apoke at what i think might be the next question or statement
1 i have a 2 bike rack and need to load 3 bikes
2 they make the racks different in New Zealand
3 Levo`s are made different in New Zealand
any takers for more
pint for the most elaborate (Hodges fingers are twitching)

Fiord

Aug 3, 2020
New Zealand
So basically you just wrote all of that and you HAVE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BIKE RACK!

On top of that you have Alu frames....

Jesus....
I made that clear from the outset in my very first post. But most of the points I have made are generic for all these racks :
The Carbon Frame Protector needs to be used for carbon frame bikes.
The short double clamp works absolutely fine for me. There are various ways to use it if the bikes dont fit in a straightforward manner. For example it can be used to secure bikes 1&2 (by joining frames or pedals), and only have bike 2 secured to the rack. Just need to think outside the square.
These clamps should never fail unless it has not been fitted securely, such as to an oversize battery down tube.
Hope you are able to find a solution.

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
what bikes did you have?
My first bike is a turbo levo comp, and the second come is a an e scooter called a dualtron ultra.

The turbo levo comp kind of worked on the outside platform, but it was not a great fit, the frame is just too wide for those clamps to grip

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
My first bike is a turbo levo comp, and the second come is a an e scooter called a dualtron ultra.

The turbo levo comp kind of worked on the outside platform, but it was not a great fit, the frame is just too wide for those clamps to grip
They sell longer straps for different bikes.

itsanebikething

Jan 5, 2021
Scotland
I’ve still got my Thule tow bar mounted rack that I bought in 2005. It’s on its last legs and was expensive at the time £300 I think but well worth it. I have the 3 bike version as it allows you to transport 2 bikes with plenty of space in between. I do like the look of the latest one though ?

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
I have one of these and transport 2 x Rockrider EST-520's with ease. I take the batteries out and put one each way on the rack. The clamps go through the centre and grip on the rear uprights. No issues at all. I also lock them to the carrier with a Sold Secure lock for security when we are stopped as the clamps that come with the bike are too easy to saw through.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

Just connect the bike to clamps neither top tube or seat tube

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles