Is this normal? Cassette dropped off?

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Took out the wheel to swap out tyre and the cassette dropped off. if I don't push it against the wheel it fall off freely. Its been a while since I mucked around with wheels and in particular modern ones. It's 12 weeks old and Deore.

Is this normal?

image1.jpeg

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Mine use to do that. The cassette had eaten into the aluminium freehub body. If you pulled the cassette the whole cassette and freehub body attached would just come off. I'd have to use a wooden stick and a mallet to get the freehub body out of the cassette. Then put it all back to together again and never had an issue

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Mine use to do that. The cassette had eaten into the aluminium freehub body. If you pulled the cassette the whole cassette and freehub body attached would just come off. I'd have to use a wooden stick and a mallet to get the freehub body out of the cassette. Then put it all back to together again and never had an issue
Just to clarify - I'm not removing the cassette- the whole thing falls off as one - the free hub and cassette. I cannot make the thing stay in place- but stays put when back in the frame.

Will check in at the LBS. Seems pretty shit on a 12 week old bike. I'm 74kg not 100kg +. Yes I'm riding it a few times per week, but never had this happen on any bike i've ridden on the past 30+ years. Are new bike parts now made of butter?

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
This is normally just a sign of sexual prowess ! Congratulations.

It's often also caused by running Dissector tyres, they slowly dissect the whole bike.
I feel kinda masculine killing a hub - I won't lie 😂 Saying that, it's Deore so I should chill 😁

I wonder how the warranty process will go? Wish me luck.

Last edited:

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Changed all my rear bearings after 1500km. Felt a bit rough when I was putting a new tyre on so I just changed the lot to enduro max.
That's a great plan. I usually go to Hope hubs so I guess this indicates its a priority 😁 This problem might explain that coasting felt like I had a fat possum hang off the back 🤣

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Just to clarify - I'm not removing the cassette- the whole thing falls off as one - the free hub and cassette. I cannot make the thing stay in place- but stays put when back in the frame.

Will check in at the LBS. Seems pretty shit on a 12 week old bike. I'm 74kg not 100kg +. Yes I'm riding it a few times per week, but never had this happen on any bike i've ridden on the past 30+ years. Are new bike parts now made of butter?

Haha OK yeah nah mine didn't just fall off. Least it's under warranty.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
That's a great plan. I usually go to Hope hubs so I guess this indicates its a priority 😁 This problem might explain that coasting felt like I had a fat possum hang off the back 🤣
That's a good shout, just change your hub (y). A failure is always an excuse for an upgrade. Im running mavic E deemax S30 rim now which are meant to be pretty strong, only had them on for about 800k but good so far, I think you've given me a nudge to check them:unsure:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Changed all my rear bearings after 1500km. Felt a bit rough when I was putting a new tyre on so I just changed the lot to enduro max.
Max bearings are not for hubs!! They are for slow limited movement applications like pivots etc. They have too much rotation resistance for hubs.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Max bearings are not for hubs!! They are for slow limited movement applications like pivots etc. They have too much rotation resistance for hubs.
Oh well, there in there now, done 1000k so far, when it brakes I’ll fix it 👍

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Maybe depends on the hub but I think this is 'normal' and 'fine' so long at the hub/freehub appears to be working okay when its all together.

This happened the first couple times I tried to remove my cassette from my DT Swiss hub. The freehub body just presses in to the wheel hub with modest force, so it's quite easy to accidentally pull it off when working on the cassette. On the plus side, it makes maintenance of the freehub easy :)

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
SquireRides is correct. I had the same “problem”. Took it to my LBS and the mechanic said it was nothing wrong, just the design of the hub. I just be careful when removing the wheel now so it doesn’t fall on the concrete.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Any joy mate ??
Told is was normal. Both front and rear hub had play that was fixed- something was tightebened. So far so good. I guess I need to be careful when removing rear wheel. I'm a tight arse so happy with the outcome.

Saying that, I'll be getting a HOPE setup in the coming months though- in purple of course 😆I LOVE the coasting sound.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles