cassette compatibility

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
The patient is a 2020 Canadian Stance-e that came with an 11-42 cassette, which is just starting to skip. There doesn't seem to be much availability. Any idea if an 11-46 would fit? Is the cage and chain link enough for a 46? I'm ok with slightly lower gearing. Thanks.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
If you're getting a new cassette you should also get a new chain; because of this you can adjust the chain length correctly. Using an old chain on a new cassette will cause more wear on the cassette than a new chain will. The only other potential issue I can see is the derailer cage length - I should think you'd be OK, but I don't know. Actually, if you look up the specs for the model derailer you have, it should say what cluster size it can handle.

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
The chain has less than 200 km and it is still at 0% "stretch"/wear.

Its a Deore 10 spd, with clutch.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
10 speed deore has recently gone through a revamp.
From your description you'll have the older version.
the older (M6000) 10 speed deore mech is rated to a max 42t sprocket.
but this is not to say it definitely won't manage to handle a 46t... it just won't shift as optimally as it'll need a little more B-tension.

If chain length is correct at the moment you'll need to add 2 links to use a 4t larger sprocket.
2 links being a pair. ie. 1x outer, 1x inner

Last edited:

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
10 speed deore has recently gone through a revamp.
From your description you'll have the older version.
the older (M6000) 10 speed deore mech is rated to a max 42t sprocket.
but this is not to say it definitely won't manage to handle a 46t... it just won't shift as optimally as it'll need a little more B-tension.

If chain length is correct at the moment you'll need to add 2 links to use a 4t larger sprocket.
2 links being a pair. ie. 1x outer, 1x inner
Thanks. Good point about adding links.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi have a look at Wolftooth components they do a thing called a goat link I've got deore 10sp aswell it lets you run 46t and better shifting all the way through ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles