I'm resigning from EMTBing!!

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Today my 2019 Giant Trace E+ finally died when the motor decided to implode. It would cost over $2000NZD to get new motor so I've decided to part out the bike and commit to riding my mechanical bikes.

I will not be buying another EMTB for multiple reasons
  • Cost: are there any decent bikes available that fit the budget of the middle class? Nope
  • Reliability: I'm still not happy with the reliability of any EMTB on the market. For any serious rider, you will have heart broken at some point by some electrical issue that can't be remedied by the average home mechanic
  • Lonely: Whilst EMTBing is growing I never had a group of EMTBing mates to ride with. Taking my EMTB on group rides with normal bikes is pretty boring and smashing laps by myself is pretty risky.
  • Faff: replacing chains/gears, hand washing, aligning batteries, can't fly with batteries, recharging, replacing corroded connectors, faults, nightmare internal cabling etc etc
To me, EMTBing has been an excellent stepping stone to help me fall in love with Mountainbiking again but the industry needs to improve significantly before I'll throw more money into the hole.

All the best!

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Well we all make choices.
I am at my 4th Yamaha and i never had an issue.
I have read about Yamaha reaching 44,000kms so if you have been the unlucky one it is to bad.
Have you asked Yamaha to help you out?
Anyway pedaling in nature is fun so have some fun.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Well we all make choices.
I am at my 4th Yamaha and i never had an issue.
I have read about Yamaha reaching 44,000kms so if you have been the unlucky one it is to bad.
Have you asked Yamaha to help you out?
Anyway pedaling in nature is fun so have some fun.

I'm still happy with how much use I got out of my bike - it has been thrashed!

Doubt I'll get much help from Giant or Yamaha, I wouldn't know how to get in contact with them either.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I'm still happy with how much use I got out of my bike - it has been thrashed!

Doubt I'll get much help from Giant or Yamaha, I wouldn't know how to get in contact with them either.
You have internet access . . .
I email tire companies when i have questions and i get answers.
I would contact a local store,, than Giant if need be, than if needded Yamaha

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
You have internet access . . .
I email tire companies when i have questions and i get answers.
I would contact a local store,, than Giant if need be, than if needded Yamaha
fair....but it looks too hard basket, too many hoops to jump through to only remedy a bike that I'm not that interested in.

I'll sell it "as is" and be 100% upfront - someone will have the energy to invest

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Today my 2019 Giant Trace E+ finally died when the motor decided to implode. It would cost over $2000NZD to get new motor so I've decided to part out the bike and commit to riding my mechanical bikes.

• Cost: are there any decent bikes available that fit the budget of the middle class? Nope
  • Reliability: I'm still not happy with the reliability of any EMTB on the market. For any serious rider, you will have heart broken at some point by some electrical issue that can't be remedied by the average home mechanic
  • Lonely: Whilst EMTBing is growing I never had a group of EMTBing mates to ride with. Taking my EMTB on group rides with normal bikes is pretty boring and smashing laps by myself is pretty risky.
  • Faff: replacing chains/gears, hand washing, aligning batteries, can't fly with batteries, recharging, replacing corroded connectors, faults, nightmare internal cabling etc etc
To me, EMTBing has been an excellent stepping stone to help me fall in love with Mountainbiking again but the industry needs to improve significantly before I'll throw more money into the hole.

All the best!
Totally agree, I did the same in 2020, back on mechanical bikes and loving it, I will return to electric at some point .

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
I have no complaints about my ride, but I did buy it pre-COVID. It was pricy, but not as pricy as it would be to replace today. My motor was replaced under warranty, and I need a new chain and cogs, but that is pretty much it for maintenance these past 2 years of riding. (2000 km) That said, I am more fit now, and have recently purchased a non-electric fat tire bike primarily so I can ride on local trails where eMTB's and non electric mountain bikes with standard width tires are forbidden this winter. And riding an eMTB on forbidden trails can result in large fines if caught. I am not going to be able to cover the same distances the fat bike and I will be limited to 200 meter climbs on this fat bike for now, but I am not going to stop riding my eMTB. I hope to get another 2 to 3 years use of that bike. Fingers crossed of course.

Dutch, I hope you continue to get out on the trails on a mechanical bike and find a group to ride with on occasion. Mountain bikes are so amazing, electric and non-electric.

DLSFAN

Sep 26, 2020
California

All the best!
I have a Giant Trance X e+ and I’ve had no issues. The motor is warrantied for 3 years and the frame carries a lifetime warranty.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
Shops don't even have tools to open the motor so you can lube gears or replace bearings. Aren't they constantly showing off Park Tool or PBSwiss used on helicopters? The motor should be repaired by somebody else now.

Goodmango13

Jan 25, 2020
NY

All the best!
It's Giant's fault......they put out the most unreliable bike out there.....go get a better brand and fly through the trails again with a grin......

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Today my 2019 Giant Trace E+ finally died when the motor decided to implode.

All the best!
2019 is an old bike, how many miles did you get on it?
I think you mean working class? Middle class is doing well for yourself.
I like to ride alone, I'm antisocial, cant be arsed with time tables .
I cant say I've stressed out on maintenance but I'm not one to fluff about washing every ride and checking my chain every 10 miles, life's to short.
At least you gave it a go .

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
That’s a lot of coin to just scrap and part out. When you think if that was a car I doubt you would just ditch it. The Yamaha motor is as reliable as the rest , and maybe bester then others. Yamaha offers a three year warranty on their motor so instead of making sour grape excuses, why not make it a project either the dealer or for yourself or bearingman. Either way I would suspect your ride would be worth more as a complete bike rather than parts.
For myself there’s no going back, I find analog bikes very limiting time wise to get way outback without having to spend an entire day trying to get somewhere.
We are just in the infancy stages of ebikes and I love every moment on one. I have been spoiled 😬Good luck in what ever you choose. Keep riding, cheers !

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand

All the best!
I have had my Trek fs5 Powerfly for 2years and clocked 5500ks only replaced chain twice and tyres once have had no other problems that cost me money. Did have a battery I couldn't remove as things had come loose inside the downtube but lbs sorted it free of charge.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
Often When you decide to resign from your company is because of your boss. So in this case you are reporting all reasons that can be appied to every device. If your drill is broken every day you stop to drill? You start with the glue? maybe you have a problem with that bike, or how you are using that bike.
or you have an “friend acceptance” issue?
so starting from your list…it's not an ebiking issue, rather mindset issue

Last edited:

Matzotom

Nov 29, 2021
UK
People don't all want the same thing from biking. For some, it's not about smashing out big miles or boost their way up the steepest climbs.
If it's about getting outside and being confident you can sort any issues and not having to take out a second mortgage to do it, then a non ebike is probably the best choice.
As for non assisted biking being hard work, I remember an episode of the simsons where Homer says to Bart "remember Bart, if somethings too hard, it's not worth doing" and we all know that Homer is a representation of the bad aspects of modern society.
Good luck buddy.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Agreed, I’m 61 yo and know that soon will be leaving ebikes behind. They are just too heavy and troublesome.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
OP no offence but if you went the DIY route and got a rear hub setup to start with, most of the reasons you have listed for quitting just wouldn't exist. It would have been far cheaper, if the motor blows up you can just replace the rear wheel (or take the battery pack off and put your original rear wheel back on and quit eBiking) and with it being a rear hub you'd not be changing chains so often. I can't grasp how people are still buying these things with proprietary batteries etc etc. I guess for proper MTB riding you lot "need" these fancy bikes and you "need" mid-drive for blasting up hills... but going back to triple chainrings can fix that.

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
MMMM, I am in the same sort of boat.Love biking and bought my EMTB before container prices went up from £2000 to £13000 in twelve months plus some base materials rose more than that. Result-E Bike is only used when biking with my 21 year old lad, who I can't keep up with anymore. Not my first choice now because of the money for spares and repairs.

The great thing is I have got the old Hardtail out and am loving it. I can understand the maintenance faffing bit too. I went back to manual Sram gear change on the EMTB after a rock took out my Di2 mech on the Brecon's in Wales UK. Just couldn't justify the money.

As a qualified Mech Eng I totally agree that a lot of the components are at best "not thought through and weak" but it is still early days for the tech on EMTB. Try riding a 1980's MTB machine now.

I still ride the EMTB and probably enjoy it more, it not being my main user now, but can understand why people with mortgages and a few kids still at home emptying the cupboards empty find it difficult to justify the dosh.

As long as you are getting out and enjoying pedalling, being assisted or not, enjoy. ;-)

Bobbobby

Nov 7, 2018
United Kingdom
All my friends have constant problems with their top end factory ebikes and they dont abuse them like I do .
I run bafang units..midrive and hub, they are built to be easily repaired , the controllers fot the hub drives are 20 quid and I have never broken one, even totally submerged for several minutes while turned on.

theyve had broken controllers, failed bearings, failed connectors and everytime it was a long pedal home.

in four years Ive never had a problem I couldnt fix track side, and nearly always my own fault.

Moshe

Feb 12, 2020
North Ridgeville, ohio,usa
I had a 2020 Haibike, with a Yamaha motor, which I loved. Unfortunately, the frame broke in July and I had to go back to riding my non-electric mtb. I am 70 years old so my muscles aren't what they used to be, even though I exercise a lot. I had to walk up many hills. To me, riding a bike uphill is fun, pushing a bike uphill is not. The Haibike distributor in the USA was fantastic. They had no replacement frame so they reimbursed me the full cost of the bike. Also, unfortunately, there are no Haibike EMTBs available in the USA. I know EMTBs have are expensive and sometimes troublesome but I can't ride as long, on an analog bike, nor ride up all hills. Am e-bike makes all the difference in my riding pleasure.
I couldn't wait for Haibikes to be available, though I would have liked to buy the 2021 Nduro 7 with the new Yamaha PX3 motor. Instead, I purchased a Specialized Kenevo SL Comp. The Maule motor is much less powerful than the Yamaha motor but the bike is about 10 lbs lighter than the Haibike. It is a great bike but it cost me twice as much as the Haibike.
I agree with you about the negatives of owning an e-bike but, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I had a 2020 Haibike, with a Yamaha motor, which I loved. Unfortunately, the frame broke in July and I had to go back to riding my non-electric mtb. I am 70 years old so my muscles aren't what they used to be, even though I exercise a lot. I had to walk up many hills. To me, riding a bike uphill is fun, pushing a bike uphill is not. The Haibike distributor in the USA was fantastic. They had no replacement frame so they reimbursed me the full cost of the bike. Also, unfortunately, there are no Haibike EMTBs available in the USA. I know EMTBs have are expensive and sometimes troublesome but I can't ride as long, on an analog bike, nor ride up all hills. Am e-bike makes all the difference in my riding pleasure.
I couldn't wait for Haibikes to be available, though I would have liked to buy the 2021 Nduro 7 with the new Yamaha PX3 motor. Instead, I purchased a Specialized Kenevo SL Comp. The Maule motor is much less powerful than the Yamaha motor but the bike is about 10 lbs lighter than the Haibike. It is a great bike but it cost me twice as much as the Haibike.
I agree with you about the negatives of owning an e-bike but, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.
I had a 2017 Yamaha/Haibike, no issue just fun but it got stolen.
I wanted an affordable no issue Ebike so in Canada my option was Yamaha/Giant.
It would be great if 98% of Ebikes were no issue.
I only change pads, tires, chain like any bike rider.
Since i have been without a car for 21 years i do appreciete a little assist
to reach the trails than pedal my way back.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
  • Cost: Whilst I agree they are overpriced, I think any 'middle class' person as you put it can get an eBike, it's just about saving up and priorities. The people that tell me they can't afford it are usually driving $60K utes with a jetski on the back or going on expensive holidays.
  • Reliability: This does need to be improved, agreed. However, it is not putting me off.
  • Lonely: this is personal and subjective. Why not keep your old bike, or ride the ebike on a lower setting? Reach out to local clubs for ebike partners, etc. In my case, I would be left behind without one!
  • Faff: this isn't really an issue I've noticed beyond extra chain wear and plugging it in.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
2019 is an old bike, how many miles did you get on it?
I think you mean working class? Middle class is doing well for yourself.
I like to ride alone, I'm antisocial, cant be arsed with time tables .
I cant say I've stressed out on maintenance but I'm not one to fluff about washing every ride and checking my chain every 10 miles, life's to short.
At least you gave it a go .

I don't accept that 3 years or 5000km is a fair lifespan

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles