I'm finally legal!

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I've posted many times about my "regular ride", which is mostly inside Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park in California, USA. I've been riding my Turbo Levo there for 4 years despite the fact that doing so is technically illegal.

I remember stopping in the parking lot to tell a park employee about a downed tree blocking one of the trails. At the end of a long, friendly chat he said with a smile, "You know, your bike isn't allowed on these trails." I replied, "I've got to be going home now." We both had a chuckle and I rode home.

I just learned that the obsolete rule against emtbs is changing. Yay! Progress!

1702408113787.png

BTW, I may, on occasion, exceed 15 mph, but only coasting downhill. :cool:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That’s good news. We may not have the same type of enforcement that you have but it’s reassuring that regulators are beginning to understand.

Our bikes are limited to 32kmh or 20mph, but rarely do I exceed 15mph on our trails (but that may be possible sometimes??).

There are designated areas for hiking and MTBing but both groups ignore that. Everyone plays well together.

Ps; I hope you’re not texting this from jail. 😉

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I've posted many times about my "regular ride", which is mostly inside Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park in California, USA. I've been riding my Turbo Levo there for 4 years despite the fact that doing so is technically illegal.

I remember stopping in the parking lot to tell a park employee about a downed tree blocking one of the trails. At the end of a long, friendly chat he said with a smile, "You know, your bike isn't allowed on these trails." I replied, "I've got to be going home now." We both had a chuckle and I rode home.

View attachment 130644

That's good news. Finally, some regulators are realising that Class 1 bikes are no worse than normal bikes.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I mostly ride Del Valle (As I live withing biking distance to Del Valle) in Livermore, but have ridden Pleasanton Ridge and several other East Bay Regional Parks many times "illegally" on my emtb. I was also happy to hear that EBRP finally came to their senses and adopted a reasonable emtb policy that is a good compromise between full Class I, II and III bikes and Class I and II bikes. By the way, if you like riding rocks, you should try Brushy Peak in Livermore. Fire road up to the top of the peak, then all rock single track back down the back side. Short 6 mile loop, but you can do it several times.

By the way, the single tracks at Del Valle on the west endof the lake (Heron Bay Trail) are legal for bikes. The east endof the lake are not, but I have never see anyone be ticketed and lots of bike and ebikes riding them.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
Now crossing fingers for Midpen preserves in Northern California. They have a LOT of land with some nice trails, but it looks like the board of directors is somewhat anti-bike, and even more so anti-ebike.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal

View attachment 130644

That is odd that the North Cal parks allow speeds of 15mph for bikes / Class-1 eMTBs, here in So Cal 10Mph is the max, although the avg rider is going more like 20mph
Drunk On One GIF

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles