I'm stacking tire inserts

nathan

May 9, 2020
Reno, Nevada
Hi everyone,
Firstly, I am not a troll. I am seeking the most planted, non-bouncy ride feel possible, while also having rim protection and sidewall support. Over the last 4 years I have wanted more and more of a "glued to the ground feel" over rocky, loose terrain, while also never breaking the tires loose (front or rear). I converted to DH 2-Ply casings and Cushcore Pro in 2018, but always wanted more. I then started running a Huck Norris on on top of the Cushcore Pro. I tend to use my front brake to drive the tire into the dirt for increased traction, and don't use much rear brake (if at all). Currently I'm running Mega Norris Sandwich on top of CC Pro on Maxxis Assegai DH Maxxgrip. 10.5 PSI front and rear. No flats or dents in 4 years. If anyone wishes to discuss this subject, please let me know.
Thank you,
Nate

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Interesting, Nate. It certainly provides rim protection! It could be right for some trail conditions. But is seems to me like the setup described would be “glued to the ground” a bit too much with such heavy wheels and high rolling resistance. I think many likely prefer a more agile and lively feel.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Hi everyone,
Firstly, I am not a troll. I am seeking the most planted, non-bouncy ride feel possible, while also having rim protection and sidewall support. Over the last 4 years I have wanted more and more of a "glued to the ground feel" over rocky, loose terrain, while also never breaking the tires loose (front or rear). I converted to DH 2-Ply casings and Cushcore Pro in 2018, but always wanted more. I then started running a Huck Norris on on top of the Cushcore Pro. I tend to use my front brake to drive the tire into the dirt for increased traction, and don't use much rear brake (if at all). Currently I'm running Mega Norris Sandwich on top of CC Pro on Maxxis Assegai DH Maxxgrip. 10.5 PSI front and rear. No flats or dents in 4 years. If anyone wishes to discuss this subject, please let me know.
Thank you,
Nate
What kinds of conditions do you tend to ride in? Dusty with a loose surface? Wet, muddy and rooty? Perfect loam?

nathan

May 9, 2020
Reno, Nevada
What kinds of conditions do you tend to ride in? Dusty with a loose surface? Wet, muddy and rooty? Perfect loam?

I live in Reno. Loose, loose over hard, loose doll heads (un-embedded), rocky occasionally. Other details: I ruptured my patellar tendon 3.5 years ago, therefor I only ride seated, never stop pedaling, and only in turbo to take the load off the tendon repair. My suspension tuner (10 years as Lopes' mechanic), says I am at the far end of the spectrum for a desired "progressive shim stack" plus 6.5 tokens on a C1 air shaft (I weigh 145). What I have found (downhill), is that at higher speeds the bike "opens up" and feels lively, bottomless, yet grippy as all hell. Very confidence inspiring. Mainly I finally feel safe due to not feeling like I'm losing grip ever. I rode dirt bikes briefly and I think it changed the way I ride.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I live in Reno. Loose, loose over hard, loose doll heads (un-embedded), rocky occasionally. Other details: I ruptured my patellar tendon 3.5 years ago, therefor I only ride seated, never stop pedaling, and only in turbo to take the load off the tendon repair. My suspension tuner (10 years as Lopes' mechanic), says I am at the far end of the spectrum for a desired "progressive shim stack" plus 6.5 tokens on a C1 air shaft (I weigh 145). What I have found (downhill), is that at higher speeds the bike "opens up" and feels lively, bottomless, yet grippy as all hell. Very confidence inspiring. Mainly I finally feel safe due to not feeling like I'm losing grip ever. I rode dirt bikes briefly and I think it changed the way I ride.
I only ride seated.... sorry but you sounds like a troll ?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
A rigid gravel bike with 32's at 80 psi might give you just the feel you're looking for...

If you know Lopes then you know Joe at BikeCo. Go ask Joe for some guidance. They can run a session or two with a Motion Instruments rig to get you dialed.

nathan

May 9, 2020
Reno, Nevada
A rigid gravel bike with 32's at 80 psi might give you just the feel you're looking for...

If you know Lopes then you know Joe at BikeCo. Go ask Joe for some guidance. They can run a session or two with a Motion Instruments rig to get you dialed.

Hi guys,
Honestly, thanks for the feedback. Truth is I'm not a troll and I am 100% MORE than happy with my set up than I ever have been in 33 years of mountain biking, and a few years of trying a dirt bike (sold due to finances). I only brought this subject to the forum to tell people what I'm experiencing, and how much it has improved my enjoyment of mountain biking, and I honestly feel "safer". I have no desire to get help with my set up or convince anyone of anything. This is purely my experience, and I find this concept interesting enough that I felt obligated to “come out” and communicate it to other people - no other reason. It has taken me 2 years to finally "come out" and tell anyone other than my suspension tuner what "the madness of my method" is. The reason I went this direction with my tire and wheel and suspension set up, is because over the last decade, I opened my mind to "other wheel involved sports" from a “fan" stand point. I have been a fan of motocross and moto GP for 20 plus years. Using the front brake and a forward center of mass to "press" the contact patch into the ground (while avoiding chassis high frequency bounce) IS how motocross and moto GP generate cornering and braking traction. Keeping the rear tire "calm" and not skidding at all, also decreases "micro skid/swap". Standing up on a bike reduces weight and therefor pressure on the rear tire, making it more susceptible to small losses of traction at the very least, causing slight trajectory changes (envision small amounts of "swap") that are higher frequency than the nervous system can process and therefor control for. Keeping consistent traction of the front AND rear wheel/chassis, as much as possible, increases traction and therefor control. By running Cushcore I controlled tire roll and rim strikes a bit. Going to DH casings with CC was more so. CC, DH casing, Huck norris even more so. CC, DH casing, + Mega Norris Sandwhich EVEN MORE SO. The more "dead" my bike behaves, the faster I can go before small losses of traction cause a large loss of traction. Kind of like the bike "opens up". Riding on less air pressure and riding on more insert to minimize carcass roll and minimize rim strikes has allowed me to carve / corner on rocks, loose over hard, off camber, etc without a feeling of “micro skid” or as I translate it, to a feeling of being "on rails". Again, this is my experience and I only brought it up here because I thought someone might find it interesting. Anyways, I've said my peace and have no desire to continue this conversation. I attempted to be as clear as possible. Please do not reply to me, only because I've said what I want to say and to possibly encourage other people to be open minded to other's perspectives in an activity we are all stoked with. Take this for what you will. I wish you all safety and fun.
Nate

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think you've invented a brand new sub genre of mountain biking.
Chapeau.

PS. Fatbiking might have been another option you'd have enjoyed. Your riding style describes 99% of those guys.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
There was a bikepark next to Reno, guess its Northstar at Tahoe, it was the first I ever rode, lots of loose sharp rocks, the kind of terrain where low air pressure on the tyres is desired.
But what first comes to my mind when I recall this trip is the night that the waitress at a pizza bar in Trukee managed to “skid” the pizza she was going to serve us into my wife’s handbag that she had left open on a side chair ?.
I like to skid a little and would not ride them tyres with less than 20+ psi.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
I've run Bib Mousse (all foam insert no air) in my Enduro dirtbike for flat protection, and like the dead/planted feel so I get where your coming from. If you don't care about weight on the ebike it's not a crazy idea. Ride what you like.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I've run Bib Mousse (all foam insert no air) in my Enduro dirtbike for flat protection, and like the dead/planted feel so I get where your coming from. If you don't care about weight on the ebike it's not a crazy idea. Ride what you like.

Have you tried a Tubliss setup yet? I really like it. Sorta best of both worlds - flat protection + adjustable pressure (versus swapping mousses which certainly sucks to do).

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Yes I have that on one bike, and they are good but still have some vulnerability. For racing bibs are the best option IMO....nothing like traveling for an event and having the day literally blown over a flat....lots of wasted money and time....a bib you don't have to worry about anything and no more carrying tire repair supplies or tools.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Its the only way

152133699_-azonic-love-seat-in-blk-le-wgray-kevlar-corner-sports-.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles