How to fix? (snapped crank bolt)

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
My 93 year old dad says it all the time - it may well precede Moe Larry & Curly, wise guy!
Nyuk nyuk nyuk

Why I oughta...

4oGoEnl.gif

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
The negative reaction to my title is likely representative of the demographics that is attracted to e-mtb (at least for now while prices are so high) which seems to be predominantly older males from developed countries (e.g.: England).

Not necessarily a negative reaction, but I am an older-ish male :)
Would you consider the U.S. a developed country...or we on the young side?

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
Is it possible that maybe a Giant dealer would have cranks and or bolts for this as they also run Praxis cranks?

I thought the title was funny, reminded me of a Yugoslav fella i worked with once, everything ended in fucking, didn't matter what he was saying. There is bigger stuff to be concerned with in life, just saying.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The "F" word can be used for many different parts of speech. When I was an apprentice in a heavy gear fitting workshop (gearboxes the size of Chieftain tanks and bigger!), there was a driller that taught me a thing or two.
He was attempting to drill a 3" diameter hole in a large steel casting. There was only one of these high value components made for a very big job that was already overdue. Important people were stood around watching. Suddenly, the drill snapped, leaving half of it jammed in the casting. What the driller shouted next could be heard all over the workshop.
"F***!, t' F***ing F***ers F***ed! :eek:

For those not from the North of England, the t' stands for the word "the" and it is pronounced like the "t" at the end of the word "but". To the uninitiated it sounded like he only spoke 4 words all beginning with F, yet a complete sentence with all the important parts of speech. And very eloquent too, as we all knew exactly how he felt. :ROFLMAO:

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
Hey guys,

I snapped the crank arm bolt on my less than 2 weeks old 2020 Levo :cry:
I opened the motor to check it after the first ride which was very muddy and also took the time to reinforce the power cable.

After closing the motor I used my car tire torque wrench set to 49.5 Nm on the crank bolt. I was applying hulk level strength with a long leverage, no wonder it snapped. I guess my torque wrench is defective because it never clicked :confused:... I thought I wasn't at 50Nm yet. Removing it also required hulk level strength

Now the bolt is spinning freely both ways, not sure what to do, attached a video a picture here:

Anyone has ideas? I don't have much experience with bikes, not sure what's happening here.
] *Do you know Jesus said it's not what goes into your mouth that defiles a Man. It's what comes out of the mouth : ;)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I excused the title on the basis it was possibly someone, for whom English was not their first language. The use of sh*t and f*ck is not necessarily offensive ( unless you are a snowflake, who finds everything in life offensive) and as anglo saxon vernacular has its place, but it is coarse. English is the richest language in the world in terms of adjectives etc, so a shame if they are all ignored just to be replaced with expletives....especially when the only villain at large is a BOLT!!

Rick53

Feb 12, 2020
Muskegon, MI, USA
I excused the title on the basis it was possibly someone, for whom English was not their first language. The use of sh*t and f*ck is not necessarily offensive ( unless you are a snowflake, who finds everything in life offensive) and as anglo saxon vernacular has its place, but it is coarse. English is the richest language in the world in terms of adjectives etc, so a shame if they are all ignored just to be replaced with expletives....especially when the only villain at large is a BOLT!!
Considering the Title hasn't been edited due to some comments about it : Speaks Far Louder then the Title itself originally did : Doesn't Respect start with Self? ;)

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Result, after removing my cranks on my 2month old Levo I can confirm these cranks are "FT" on the shaft and tight going back on.
My SRAM XO cranks are far easier to remove and re-fit and have about a 50nm torque value

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
I excused the title on the basis it was possibly someone, for whom English was not their first language

You are correct that English is not my first language, it's actually one of the 4 language that I'm fluent in. I have access to a lot of words in my vocabulary and yet I chose these :eek:, but that was part of the joke.

Considering the Title hasn't been edited due to some comments about it : Speaks Far Louder then the Title itself originally did : Doesn't Respect start with Self? ;)

The way I read your message is that my respect and self-worth comes from inside and as such I wouldn't let some negative comments about the title make me change it. Thanks for the compliment.

On the topic of the bolt, if anyone needs it in the future it can be hard to find it as it's a specific bolt for Praxis eCranks M24 BOLT/EXTRACTOR - Praxis Works

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Sometimes if you leave old thread locker on bolts it can bind and get incorrect torque value as well... maybe better to clean off factory thread locker and apply new before retorquing next time?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Why the heck would you need threadlock on an extractor bolt! The thread should be greased not threadlocked. It has a high torque setting and is tightened against a taper.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Why the heck would you need threadlock on an extractor bolt! The thread should be greased not threadlocked. It has a high torque setting and is tightened against a taper.
I only mentioned because in the picture he posted it looked like it had blue locktite on it!:)

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
Speaking of that, does anyone have recommendations for torque wrenches to work on bikes? Some bolts call for 1 or less Nm and others like this one 50Nm. I guess you need at least 2 torque wrenches to cover all the torque specs on a bike.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Speaking of that, does anyone have recommendations for torque wrenches to work on bikes? Some bolts call for 1 or less Nm and others like this one 50Nm. I guess you need at least 2 torque wrenches to cover all the torque specs on a bike.

For the lighter bolts you can just go by hand in my opinion. You would need an insane torque wrench for 1nm to be accurate.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I can perhaps understand using a threadlock on the outside threaded nut against which the crank bolt presses for self extraction from the shaft. It has only a shallow thread and on some models only secured with a pin spanner so torque is very low. The crank bolt and the splined shaft should be greased however in order to minimise friction when tightening. Otherwise the torque applied will be wrong and getting the crank off will also be difficult.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles