Help for a Strava newbie - EMTB unfriendly?

Osprey

Aug 11, 2018
South Wales
Hi,

I am new to eMTBing and Strava so sorry for the muppet question.

What is the most straightforward way to exclude myself from the leaderboards when I use my Focus Jam2 while making sure everything is recorded because I want to track my progression (and race my son! :) )

I know you are generally a friendly bunch but in case I get flamed and I have had a look at the search function but couldn't find anything that made sense to me.

Thank you as its driven me mad looking on the iPhone app and the full website.

Cheers,

Alex

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Change “Sport” to eBike ride

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

Unfortunately there is no way to set it as a default.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Be aware though that you cannot compete on non-ebike segments once you have set it to ebike. If your area is like mine you will need to recreate most segments yourself specifically for ebikes. I don’t know why Strava don’t just recreate all the normal segments as ebike ones in the backend themselves.

Last edited:

Injidup

Oct 2, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I don’t bother changing the sport (didn’t know you could) and if I upset anyone it’s their problem. I did get a 2nd overall on a segment this week when tearing home because my 4 year old had his teeth knocked out. As I get most of my quickest segments when riding solo, I doubt I’ll ever meet anyone who is unhappy about my times. Also, I don’t use Strava to log my ride, it’s synced with my Garmin.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Hi osprey A thing to remember also is Strava doesn’t select ebike ride if you start your ride with an Apple Watch so I start it on my phone and it’s all cool

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I just keep strava set to upload to private. (I don't really do social media tho)
D/L Stravastix extension for chrome and you get a comparisson to your previous times and + / - times off your PB and the KOM even if you upload to private.
If I genuinely beat a descent PB on a DH segment where pedal assist doesn't come into it occasionally I'll crop the ride and make it public. IMO that's 100% legit.
I had a look at the Ebike setting for the tweed valley and it's so empty (riders and segments) it's really not worth bothering about

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don’t bother changing the sport (didn’t know you could) and if I upset anyone it’s their problem. I did get a 2nd overall on a segment this week when tearing home because my 4 year old had his teeth knocked out. As I get most of my quickest segments when riding solo, I doubt I’ll ever meet anyone who is unhappy about my times. Also, I don’t use Strava to log my ride, it’s synced with my Garmin.
They don't need to meet you. They can simply flag your ride as motorised. If you start taking Cups n KOMs folk will get upset. trust me. Strava is SRS BSNSS to some folk

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I used to mark mine as don’t include in leader board, these days I just mark them as private.

I also use veloviewer.com at £10 a year it’s a great way to keep track of your rides and segments and adds to the strava tools.

Injidup

Oct 2, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I’ve updated my latest ride to e-bike ride and all but one of the segments have disappeared. Fine by me, but it would be good to know how I do compared to my other rides. Must look at how to add segments. The segments that appeared before seem to be a bit arbitrary as to where they start and end, so maybe I need to find a tutorial on adding segments.

Osprey

Aug 11, 2018
South Wales
I’ve updated my latest ride to e-bike ride and all but one of the segments have disappeared. Fine by me, but it would be good to know how I do compared to my other rides. Must look at how to add segments. The segments that appeared before seem to be a bit arbitrary as to where they start and end, so maybe I need to find a tutorial on adding segments.

Keep up the feedback as that sounds dangerously like a plan.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
This should help...

Create a Segment

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The segments that appeared before seem to be a bit arbitrary as to where they start and end,
That's the thing with Strava. most segments are user created and it takes a savy user to actually bother to zoom in on a map and use elevation/Satelite data etc. to carefully choose good start and finish points. it's not difficult to do. but a lot of folk are lazy. Hence the seemingly randomness. We can only assume Ebikers being even lazier EStrava segments will end up even worse ;)
maybe I need to find a tutorial on adding segments.
You probabby won't need a tutorial. Strava pretty much walks you through the steps of the process in its' "create segment" section. I'd recommend using a laptop rather than your phone for more accuracy and don't make the segment public until you're happy you have your start, finish and GPS tracking data fairly accurate.
[Ooops.. .just noticed the tutorial posted above by Matty and haven't watched it so don't know if I'm going over points already covered]
Personally I don't see any point creating uphill Ebike segments other than private ones.

Injidup

Oct 2, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for the tips, gents. I did create one segment, and I think it’s pretty good, for a lazy e-biker! I think us E-folk have more time to do this!
I just followed the (brief) tips on Strava, so @Gary is right about not needing a tutorial. The hardest part is naming the segments, although I found some E-segments have been made with similar names but with any ”e” capitalised, another vowel replaced with an E or an E added at the beginning.
eg. Esegment, segmEnt.
My tip is don’t try it on an iPad, as sliding the start end end points does seem to confuse the interface. It’s probably much easier on a proper computer. I did it through the Strava web page, not the app, so I don’t know if the app makes it easier.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
What a few of my riding buddies do is log as a normal ride, get the name, create segment with (e) or electric prefix and retain name as nod to original trail builder. I admit, it's a pita, removing duplicates and creating trail segments again like when new to Strava.

I used to log a ride for each segment, then I knew it was the correct start and end. Also a ball ache.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
The best case IMO would be for Strava to just recreate all existing segments with an "E-" prefix or somesuch. How much bandwidth/cost/whatever this would involve I don't know but there is a page to appeal to Strava to do so here;

Duplicate Cycling Segments for Ebike Segments

Not many entries but maybe if we can change that they will listen?
I agree, but it seems they are reticent to do that, presumably because the core user base who pay for premium services are performance oriented road cyclists who don't ride or appreciate ebikes. It might seem obvious to us to do this, but I can see why commercially it could be problematic for them.

Last edited:

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
The best case IMO would be for Strava to just recreate all existing segments with an "E-" prefix or somesuch. How much bandwidth/cost/whatever this would involve I don't know but there is a page to appeal to Strava to do so here;

Duplicate Cycling Segments for Ebike Segments

Not many entries but maybe if we can change that they will listen?
Yes, something like this, or just run the same segments, but put ebikes in a 'category' like men/women/over 40s/ebikes.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Yes, something like this, or just run the same segments, but put ebikes in a 'category' like men/women/over 40s/ebikes.

The problem with that is the categories also count in the overall leaderboards so you'd still have ebike entries pissing people off on all the climbs and a lot of other trails. So you need the segments replicated for ebikes due to the fundamental difference of motor assist

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles