Using Strava with emtb & regular bike

crembz

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
Hi there,

Just received my first emtb and have started setting it up. When it comes to ride tracking, is there any way to seperate emtb rides from regular rides?

Reason I'd like to do this is to compare physical progression on my regular bikes. The minute I throw an emtb into the mix is obvious comparing times is going to be nonsensical.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Yup; go into edit ride after youve saved it and change the Sport from Ride to E-Bike ride ?

You should also be able to select the Sport type before you start recording the ride as well if youre using the Strava app.

95C71C55-2368-46B7-BCF5-EE179EB98E95.jpeg

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Hi there,

Just received my first emtb and have started setting it up. When it comes to ride tracking, is there any way to seperate emtb rides from regular rides?

Reason I'd like to do this is to compare physical progression on my regular bikes. The minute I throw an emtb into the mix is obvious comparing times is going to be nonsensical.

Exactly because it is “obvious” Strava will usually ask you whether you want to change sport when importing an emtb ride as a normal bike ride. Unless you’re really lazy on the emtb I guess.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

As someone else mention, yes. You can set it up before you start recording a ride, or you can edit your ride after it's uploaded. In a similar way, you can add different bikes to Strava.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
If you forget to change it, some crybaby will flag it within seconds of you beating their KOM anyway. :ROFLMAO:
This happened to me because I had set garmin to send data to strava, and garmin did not diferentiate the ebike from my other bikes.

crembz

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
This happened to me because I had set garmin to send data to strava, and garmin did not diferentiate the ebike from my other bikes.
Ah ok that makes it interesting, I use garmin to record and then send the ride data to strava. So in this case you'll need to manually change the ride in strava?

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Ah ok that makes it interesting, I use garmin to record and then send the ride data to strava. So in this case you'll need to manually change the ride in strava?
This was more than a year ago and since then I have not been using the garmin, maybe they have upgraded this function, I can’t tell that for sure.

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight

I ride Ebikes and my normal MTB. My Garmin auto uploads rides when I finish. Ive set my privacy to “only me” when it uploads. Then I can change the bike type to Ebike if needed afterwards and edit the privacy setting so everyone can see it (showing on leaderboards) if needed.
It stops my Ebike rides stealing non Ebike peoples KOMs

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I sometimes set the ebike ride as an analogue bike just to wind up the lycra crybabies, one actually phoned up Strava customer services to complain! The email I got from Strava was priceless ?

I have also done it a few times and and taken lycra analouge cyclists KOM and it is always just as fun to see how hard they try to take back KOM ?

Last edited:

crembz

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
Taking enjoyment from deliberately upsetting other people?
Why not just jump in the car and obliterate all the KOMS?
You guys certainly know how to enjoy yourselves eh.
Might be the only way you can get a KOM or be on a leader bored but you really need to get a life!!!
The local airport has a kom down the runway that no ebike is going to get close to ?

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
why so serious ? , is it because you can not even get some kom with e-bike?

in order for it to feel better for you, I usually actually delete my kom after a few days. It is a little payback that i steal KOM beacuse we e-bike riders always hear from the lycra people that we are fat and lazy riders and a lot of moore bull**iet.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Taking enjoyment from deliberately upsetting other people?
Why not just jump in the car and obliterate all the KOMS?
You guys certainly know how to enjoy yourselves eh.
Might be the only way you can get a KOM or be on a leader bored but you really need to get a life!!!

We’ve had this discussion many times on here before but you could also take the view that Strava KOM chasers need to get a life too

If people really need to prove a point that they are the fastest riders, then perhaps they could actually enter a race. A real race with real people, not just on a free app available on the App Store which means nothing

KOM chasers, especially at busy trail centres, just come across as rude & selfish, especially when they are bombing the trails at lightening speed shouting ‘RIDER’ as they approach you from behind expecting you to move out of their way

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It is a little payback that i steal KOM beacuse we e-bike riders always hear from the lycra people that we are fat and lazy riders and a lot of moore bull**iet.
You think you get accused of being fat and lazy - so your "pay back" is to take someone's record, achieved through physical effort or skill , by being exactly what they accuse you of being ?

How does that do anything but give ebikers a bad name and make people think we're all fat and lazy - and far worse.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
KOM chasers, especially at busy trail centres, just come across as rude & selfish, especially when they are bombing the trails at lightening speed shouting ‘RIDER’ as they approach you from behind expecting you to move out of their way
They might not be KOM chasers .. They could just be much faster riders. From their perspective, they could consider all the people dawdling along Mountain bike trails with no sense of their surrounding or other riders as rude and selfish ? Shouting "Rider" is just normal to make people aware you're coming up from behind - it's courtesy ?

As e-bikers, we should shout "Burger" as we approach, then stop and share them out to bring good will amongst our fellow riders.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
They might not be KOM chasers .. They could just be much faster riders. From their perspective, they could consider all the people dawdling along Mountain bike trails with no sense of their surrounding or other riders as rude and selfish ? Shouting "Rider" is just normal to make people aware you're coming up from behind - it's courtesy ?

As e-bikers, we should shout "Burger" as we approach, then stop and share them out to bring good will amongst our fellow riders.

I hear what you’re saying, but the non-KOM chasers (but super fast riders) will generally slow down with a smile when caught up in trail traffic and chill until the next section and then pass and steam ahead at the front. The KOM chasers have a look of angst that they’re wasting valuable split milli seconds on their run and shout their way past

A guy at Hamsterley forced a group of five of us to stop (some fell off) as he cut up the leading rider on a rocky skinny section by taking the cheat line on the LH side and cutting in, which forced the leading rider to brake hard, and then domino effect. There’s really no need for it. That was on the ‘Nitrous’ trail if anyone is reading this that knows the section

I see KOM chasers starting a section from 200m up the fire roads so they enter the trail at max speed rather than lose valuable time building up their speed from the start. Non of this used to happen back in the pre-Strava good old days ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A guy at Hamsterley forced a group of five of us to stop (some fell off) as he cut up the leading rider on a rocky skinny section by taking the cheat line on the LH side and cutting in, which forced the leading rider to brake hard, and then domino effect. There’s really no need for it. That was on the ‘Nitrous’ trail if anyone is reading this that knows the section

I see KOM chasers starting a section from 200m up the fire roads so they enter the trail at max speed rather than lose valuable time building up their speed from the start. Non of this used to happen back in the pre-Strava good old days ?
Yup, that's just dumb and ignorant !

If someone's really that bothered they should go when there's no one about, it's not a private trail. It also doesn't actually matter in life, enjoying your ride is more important than a number. Plus, there's always someone faster than you !

I really fancy a burger now and can't stop thinking about burgers ...

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yup, that's just dumb and ignorant !

If someone's really that bothered they should go when there's no one about, it's not a private trail. It also doesn't actually matter in life, enjoying your ride is more important than a number. Plus, there's always someone faster than you !

I really fancy a burger now and can't stop thinking about burgers ...

Mmm cheesy burger goodness with fries mmm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles