Using Strava with emtb & regular bike

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Douches on bikes has always been a thing. Always will be.

Ive no idea why anyone on an Ebike would care about strava segment leaderboards at all nevermind take them seriously.
Nice easy free app to log rides with tho

We have some friends on Strava that are KOM chasers. We noticed that they download our GPX files (mainly on XC routes I plan) and do the same route a week or two later, but take all the KOM’s. They also have their Garmin’s notifying them of upcoming segments so know when to pedal harder and activate turbo mode. We therefore created segments following such rides with derogatory title names aimed at them, just for fun. They appear to have stopped doing it now!

Childish fun but it made us laugh

TankCommander

Sep 17, 2021
Australia
I have also done it a few times and and taken lycra analouge cyclists KOM and it is always just as fun to see how hard they try to take back KOM ?
When I got my Hardtail E-Bike, I put it in Turbo and immediately belted up my favourite hill and obliterated my best time achieved on my road bike, but to my extreme surprise I was no where near the KOM times. Then I realised in my haste I had forgotten to get the all important white lycra body suit ... another day maybe

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I recently discovered the eBike Ride category on Strava and I went back through my records to re-classify my rides.
Sadly, there are very few eBike segments where I ride, so I will have to do some creative maintenance

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Taking enjoyment from deliberately upsetting other people?
Why not just jump in the car and obliterate all the KOMS?
You guys certainly know how to enjoy yourselves eh.
Might be the only way you can get a KOM or be on a leader bored but you really need to get a life!!!
Don't take Strava so serious. If you want the best time, put a number plate on the bar and go to the race

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I don’t care about “KOMs”, but it looks easy enough to annoy the least amount of people yet getting to fully log own rides. I am looking forward to the day when SL style emtb riders start complaining about the full power emtbs stealing all KOMs. Or the latter complaining about powerful classless emtbs assisted over 25kmh with over 250W (cont).

And when big data company Strava inevitably start adjusting scores and position based on given assistance at any time (somewhat like their “grade adjusted pace”) to “correctly” compare fitness/übermenschability/steroid supplements. And when they also merge categories “ride” and “ebike ride” (and its new sub categories since then) and the last militaristic analog bike holdouts won’t mind getting in on where the action is because by that time their veiny monster thighs just want blood any which way.

At the same time the emtb community is still obsessing about emtbs at a component level suitable for demolition machinery (with authentic supercar designer levers in materials manipulated on a molecular level) for which emtb that has the best power-weight-energy-slackness-MulticoreGigahertz-ratio (as the high-end (incl optional autopilot) reaches the price level of a nuclear sub). In the end we leave Strava for sites where neutral unbribable AI robots ride all emtbs through a committee designed standard trail in an artificial vacuum environment to constantly compare pure emtb performance, rather than rider fitness (which, lets face it, was just an excuse to dive into this rabbit hell hole in the first place).

Phew. I only log for my own sake, thank you

Last edited:

EezyRider

Sep 23, 2020
Lincolnshire
Don't take Strava so serious. If you want the best time, put a number plate on the bar and go to the race
Personally I couldn’t care less for strava times, I’m far too slow to worry about them! and I don’t need a number to tell me that.
I just question some peoples ethics, cheap kicks n all that.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
You think you get accused of being fat and lazy - so your "pay back" is to take someone's record, achieved through physical effort or skill , by being exactly what they accuse you of being ?

How does that do anything but give ebikers a bad name and make people think we're all fat and lazy - and far worse.

as I wrote, I usually do not leave my KOM but I usually remove them after a few hours.

maybe it's a bit childish of me and gives e-bikes worse reputation but I'm just so fucking tired of that shit.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
As an Emtb rider you should care about how others respect you. I agree koms are meaningless and superficial...but...so many riders take these so seriously...and many of them are heavily involved with the local trail politics. Why poke the bear? As Emtb riders we still have to deal with trail access for Ebikes and these people are REALLY looking for anything to deny that. Just make Ebike your default ride type and you will never have to deal with any of that.

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
Strava !? What’s that ? Hahaha after switching to an ebike I was blown away how FAST these things are. All my previous Strava rides were destroyed and I must have stole at least 10 KOM titles some that stood for years !! Goes to show how fast these bikes are. After being “informed “ I need to change my settings to ebike, every section I did completely disappeared. I had a good laugh about it and have since deleted Strava knowing I would soon end up in the hospital if I chased speed on this thing. Now I ride Strava free , grinning ear to ear knowing there isn’t a single rider out there on a peddle bike that could touch me ! Man these ebikes are FAST !!
… just as a side note, all the directive ads that were appearing on my phone stopped along with the demise of Strava ! Haha, true freedom indeed. ?

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
It seems that many who complain about those who log good times on Strava are the same people who don't have the skill to ride fast.
??? ???

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
I don’t care about “KOMs”, but it looks easy enough to annoy the least amount of people yet getting to fully log own rides. I am looking forward to the day when SL style emtb riders start complaining about the full power emtbs stealing all KOMs. Or the latter complaining about powerful classless emtbs assisted over 25kmh with over 250W (cont).

And when big data company Strava inevitably start adjusting scores and position based on given assistance at any time (somewhat like their “grade adjusted pace”) to “correctly” compare fitness/übermenschability/steroid supplements. And when they also merge categories “ride” and “ebike ride” (and its new sub categories since then) and the last militaristic analog bike holdouts won’t mind getting in on where the action is because by that time their veiny monster thighs just want blood any which way.

At the same time the emtb community is still obsessing about emtbs at a component level suitable for demolition machinery (with authentic supercar designer levers in materials manipulated on a molecular level) for which emtb that has the best power-weight-energy-slackness-MulticoreGigahertz-ratio (as the high-end (incl optional autopilot) reaches the price level of a nuclear sub). In the end we leave Strava for sites where neutral unbribable AI robots ride all emtbs through a committee designed standard trail in an artificial vacuum environment to constantly compare pure emtb performance, rather than rider fitness (which, lets face it, was just an excuse to dive into this rabbit hell hole in the first place).

Phew. I only log for my own sake, thank you

Funny you mention the SL bikes. I just did a ride only using turbo. My bike has the Bosch gen 4. I usually use tour. Didn’t get any KOMs but did make top three on all the segments. Titled the ride that I rode turbo and someone reported me. I know some I overtook ride a SL bike.

RedThunder

May 19, 2020
Voyager 1
I sometimes set the ebike ride as an analogue bike just to wind up the lycra crybabies, one actually phoned up Strava customer services to complain! The email I got from Strava was priceless ?
Love it.

Strava is true "Internet Wankiness". I'm out on the eeb Monday, must set Strava to wind up mode :)

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
They updated Strava recently and it's now quite good at detecting ebike rides based on speed and stuff
After 90% of my rides it pops up saying "this looks like an e-bike ride would you like to change it?"
But on my gravel bike rides it doesn't

Quite clever

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
The problem is the activity specific segments and leaderboards for different bikes. Would be interesting to see what's on Strava's backlog before this kind of feature in the application.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Not really much point. Most of the top people around me have avg speeds of 50mph so I think they probably just drive it lol

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

Yep, it’s basically another form of social media but for sharing activities with photos

I enjoy seeing friends’ annual skiing holidays, SUP’ing around the coast, crazy friends that run 100 miles across moors, the usual running, bootcamps and of course MTB rides. Had a mate record a skydive once, that was cool

Oct 26, 2020
Wiltshire
Taking enjoyment from deliberately upsetting other people?
Why not just jump in the car and obliterate all the KOMS?
You guys certainly know how to enjoy yourselves eh.
Might be the only way you can get a KOM or be on a leader bored but you really need to get a life!!!
Strava !? What’s that ? Hahaha after switching to an ebike I was blown away how FAST these things are. All my previous Strava rides were destroyed and I must have stole at least 10 KOM titles some that stood for years !! Goes to show how fast these bikes are. After being “informed “ I need to change my settings to ebike, every section I did completely disappeared. I had a good laugh about it and have since deleted Strava knowing I would soon end up in the hospital if I chased speed on this thing. Now I ride Strava free , grinning ear to ear knowing there isn’t a single rider out there on a peddle bike that could touch me ! Man these ebikes are FAST !!
… just as a side note, all the directive ads that were appearing on my phone stopped along with the demise of Strava ! Haha, true freedom indeed. ?
Yeah people really need to lighten up and maybe ditch strava and just flipping enjoy riding. After riding 30 years on an analogue mtb and still doing so, I'm also loving riding an emtb.

RedThunder

May 19, 2020
Voyager 1
Strava Free is very useful for recording rides for personal comsumption (good for new routes in a unknown area). Not intrested in the paid version...just not interested.

Heat map is nice :)

I use Blevo for when I dont need Strava. My Dad has a levo and I'm on Non Eeb ( and Ebb Giant Dirt-E).

I have Bleavo on my phone incase he needs to tweak his bike...complicated but he is 82.

It would be nice if Bleavo had an option to Non Ebbs for just recording rides. Basically no Bluetooth option.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles