Help! Chewed allen bolt

DC29

Jun 21, 2023
Glasgow
IMG_4106.jpeg
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone could help me. I was having difficulty getting my allen bolt to loosen on my bike which ended up getting chewed. Now while trying to fix it a drill bit had snapped inside it. Any ideas what to do? Thanks

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Carefully cut a slot in it with a dremel and use a quality large flat-bladed screwdriver. I have some drivers with an 8mm hex at the top of the shaft to provide some additional leverage with a spanner. If you don't have the hex, try the old kerbside autos method of clamping a set of mole grips onto the shaft super tight.

DC29

Jun 21, 2023
Glasgow
Carefully cut a slot in it with a dremel and use a quality large flat-bladed screwdriver. I have some drivers with an 8mm hex at the top of the shaft to provide some additional leverage with a spanner. If you don't have the hex, try the old kerbside autos method of clamping a set of mole grips onto the shaft super tight.
Thanks I’ll give this a go

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The other thing to do is hammer in a Torx drive.

I keep meaning to change the axle, but it's still working fine in it's "bodged" state ..

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
This Might not work (*old motorbike seized screw etc trick), and take care as not much metal on a bicycle. but fyi, Can you punch/chisel (with a sharp punch or small sharp chisel(even flat screwdriver), hitting it in (gently) with a hammer, , create a indent in the outside edge of the bolt head (by punching/hammering straight down) and then once you have created a small indent then use the indent to punch/hammer the bolt in the undo direction.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Be certain to know which way to loosen the Allen bolt and which way the black thing with the writing on it.
You can never be too careful with bikes. They are the only thing I have come across where left-hand threads crop up, and not just on the pedals!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve only used these twice but they saved the crank. 9/16” left and right thread taps.

When I’m not sure of the type of thread used (left or right) I sometimes use a torque wrench with the correct setting which can tighten or loosen a bolt. I stay within the torque specs and try to turn the bolt both ways. There’s less chance of a damage when the right sized socket or Allen key is used. IMG_6753.jpeg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
IMG_5764.jpeg

I bought these for that exact reason. They’re specific Allen bolt removers for when the heads get slightly rounded.

I was looking at thePark Tools THH-1 Allen key set the other day, and they have these fitted to one end.

I think you need to try and get the broken drill bit out, and then use something like this to remove the bolt.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
It seems to be a counter clockwise threaded bolt, so you can use a regular drill to make a hole and a superb screw to drive it out. 20 nm is a very light torque, so, if turned on the right direction it should not be too hard to remove it.
If it is a regular clockwise tightening bolt, you can find counter clockwise drills and superb bolts to do it.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Probably Stihldog or P3eps posts are the ideal tools. Otherwise, this impact screwdriver is the single best tool I've ever owned for these situations. If you can get a bit to fit, it uses shock force to turn a fixing & it's very effective.

s-l1600.jpg

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I don't think extractors are the answer in this case. Op says there's a snapped drill bit in the middle on the hex.

@DC29 how much depth do you have in the hex before you hit the drill bit?

I'd imagine that the axle will be hollow so hammering a tor bit into the other (open) end and unwinding it that way might be the way to go.

Can we have a pic of the dropout on the other side so we can see the other end of the axle?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles