Kenevo / levo shock bolt

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
My 2020 kenevo top shock bolt decided to undo itself 6 months back so after reading a few threads put some locktite on it problem solved until my shock needed service would only come out 10 mm in the end I had to heat bolt and blind side of shock with heat gun and get it quite hot then managed to wind bolt back in then came out just saying be careful with locktite fortunately sent pics to spec and there sending me a new bolt kit under warranty from 1 pic now that’s customer service

699821D1-B5A3-430A-B236-E6C10BC60EA0.jpeg

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I'm pretty sure the new advice from Specialized, in the tech manual or whatever it's called, is to grease that bolt.

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
Where did you get tech workbook would like to get me hands on one as specialized uk recommended locktite 222 ( purple ) but not sure if that was just his recommendation or official

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Where did you get tech workbook would like to get me hands on one as specialized uk recommended locktite 222 ( purple ) but not sure if that was just his recommendation or official
There you go:

MY19TurboLevoFSR_Tech_Service_Workbook_Retailer.pdf

Hasn't come up as a link, just cut and paste or search

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I'm pretty sure the new advice from Specialized, in the tech manual or whatever it's called, is to grease that bolt.
Its not new. Its been avaialble since 2019. It does not contradict the advice in the Turbo User Manual either. Both advise greasing the shaft. The user manual also advises using blue loctite on the thread whereas the Tech Workbook does not mention the thread at all. It is important of course that the correct ( Blue) loctite is used and it is applied sparingly. I always use loctite on the bike fixings and never had any problem removing bolts including the shock bolts. Greasing the threads will help to ensure the torque applied is accurate, but loctite also does the same...............then once set ( 24 hours) provides a shakeproof connection.........grease will likely achieve the opposite given the way in which the correct torque is designed to create the greatest friction between the male and female thread shoulders. Grease will defeat that friction. I do not know why the OPs bolt refused to be removed but based on the photo provided, if the bolt came that far out before it jammed the threaded section of the bolt was already clear of the fixed frame thread and the bolt was therefore jammed in the shock bushing. That was either because the pressure on the bolt from the rear traingle/shock assembly was not properly removed or the shock bushing has accumulated dust/muck etc. My advice........use blue loctite......or that bolt will rattle loose.

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
Yeh I used blue locktite but as the bolt came loose from thread the locktite formed a collar on the shaft so the bolt wouldn’t go back in or out hence the heat to soften locktite then I was able to tighten then remove bolt just posting because there seems a few issues with this bolt some have resulted in frame warranty

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So spec kindly sent me a bolt kit for free interesting nee bolt has smear of blue locktite on it

View attachment 72645
If you had loctited the bolt but it came loose then the loctite had not set. The bolt needs to left undisturbed for 24 hours for the loctite to properly bond. The bolt threads also needs to be clean ( use IPA). There is no way the amount of loctite that should be properly applied to the thread could form a block sufficient to prevent the bolt being removed. Either far too much was applied or it was the wrong loctite..or both. The issue here is that whatever strange issue you had here should not be used to suggest to others the incorrect method of securing a bolt like the upper shock bolt. Copper slip That process is to thoroughly clean the bolt, grease the shaft lightly and use blue loctite sparingly on the thread, torque to spec and leave undisturbed for 24 hours.
The new bolt you have recieved has a different form of blue loctite to that which you generally buy. User appied loctite is liquid and needs time to form a bond. The pre applied loctite used by bolt suppliers if specified, although dry, is formulated to still be able to create that bond. Personally I prefer to use my own loctite so with a new bolt that has loctite already applied, I clean it thoroughly and apply my own. Either way the bolt should be left undisturbed for 24 hours after torqueing.
PS I can see no rationale for using copper slip on a bolt thread. Indeed it even worse than using a lithium grease!! Copper slip is an anti seize grease typically used for fixings subject to high temperatures. Unlike lithium grease it also conductive which is really not good news if applied on an ally bolt that could also be subject to contamination with salts!! ( e.g. road salts). Ordinary lithium grease is useful as an anti seize on a bike for fixings likely to tighten with rotation ( e.g pedals) or on tapers ( e.g. cranks) , with the benefits of not being conductive and also water resistant.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles