Hardtail Haibike

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
Be gentle, I’m new to this emtb business

All my mates have moved to embts And I’m feeling left out. They have all gone for big budget full suspension bikes that I just can’t afford.

I’ve been looking at the HardSeven 8.0 or at a huge push, the AllTrail FLYON 5.0

The question is, how hard can you go on these bikes? I’m not talking anything extreme, they tend to go to Cannock, but I’d like to be able to at least keep up ish.

I’ve never has a fs bike before and have always been fine, but I’m unsure if it’s a good idea with the extra weight?

Anyone got a Hardtail emtb and use it for some decent rough stuff want to give me any advice

Cheers

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I reckon I go to the limit of my abilities on my HT. Some (most here) would say that's not far, but the point is I'd be no faster on an FS. More comfortable maybe but if your money is better spent elsewhere and are willing to go a little slower and a little bumper, then just go the HT. I would however recommend a 29er running tubeless 2.6's at least.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
I've had a Haibike hardtail for nearly 4 years and its had a hard life, but easily copes with Cannock and other trail centres. Ive got a full suss on order but will still be using the hardtail for shorter outings as the battery is only 400. Hardseven 8 will be fine, but get used to buying cassettes and chains at more regular intervals. The Yamaha motor has been bombproof and not caused me any problems. Go for it.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
I have had a Haibike hardseven with the Yamaha motor for over 4 years and it has been excellent (and faultless) on rough tracks and some pretty rough hill paths - but I do not go looking for challenges! I fitted a Cane Creek Thudbuster that takes the edges off bumps.
I also have a Flyon Alltrail 6 that now I am very happy with (the 2.8 tyres smooth out bumps) and I have yet to find a hill it will not climb. I went the HT route because I carry a fair bit of kit on panniers.

IMG_5028.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It really sounds as though you'd be better off with full sus just to avoid the extra wear and tear that folk here are talking about. Before I bought my emtb I regularly went between my hardtail and full sus clockwork bikes. The hardtail sharpened my limited skills when picking lines etc. It wasn't much slower and I think I rode everything that I did on my full sus. The extra weight of emtb must take a toll. I imagine the rear wheel will. What about that budget full sus emtb that everyone here raves about? Do you have access to them where you are?

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
I've looked at the Stilus but they're exceptionally hard to get hold of.

If I went full Sus, would it be worth spending the extra on the Flyon? They're all running Bosch motors

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire

All my mates have moved to embts And I’m feeling left out. They have all gone for big budget full suspension bikes that I just can’t afford.

I’ve been looking at the HardSeven 8.0 or at a huge push, the AllTrail FLYON 5.0

The question is, how hard can you go on these bikes? I’m not talking anything extreme, they tend to go to Cannock, but I’d like to be able to at least keep up ish.

I’ve never has a fs bike before and have always been fine, but I’m unsure if it’s a good idea with the extra weight?

Anyone got a Hardtail emtb and use it for some decent rough stuff want to give me any advice

Cheers

I bought my first emtb just over a month ago and opted for the Hardseven 8 and love it. Picked it up with the Bosch update already done and it puts a grin on my face everytime I ride.

I opted for the HT mostly because of budget but also because I do some road work and run on flat clean surfaces with my young daughters plus im looking to use panniers and the extra battery setup too.

My initial use isnt (wasnt) for red or black routes or bike parks as im not sufficiently skilled for those although I had a great time blasting through the red route at Sherwood pines. No problem at all, which surprised me greatly. My plan is to use mine for mostly hilly routes through the country side. Lake district / Derbyshire etc

I love the look of the bike with its green paintwork and Haibike's chunky styling and im always looking forward to getting out on it.

I may look to change to a full sus bike in future but for now, this HT is spot on with its 27.5+s

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I've looked at the Stilus but they're exceptionally hard to get hold of.

If I went full Sus, would it be worth spending the extra on the Flyon? They're all running Bosch motors

I looked at the Stilus too but proved too damn difficult to buy. I prefer the look of Haibike over the Stilus but it is brilliantly specd for the price.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Hardseven 8 will be fine, but get used to buying cassettes and chains at more regular intervals. The Yamaha motor has been bombproof and not caused me any problems. Go for it.

Is that because the of the way bosch motor handles gear changes ?! ..Only ask because I've got a Hardseven 8.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
No, it’s because of the way I handle gear changes?. I’m not the smoothest rider. It always seems to be the second smallest cog that wears out first.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Cheers
Fs is more forgiving if you make a mistake like going in to big rut etc.

Potter

Jul 1, 2020
Cotswolds
I got a Hardseven 6.0 in June 19. Have done 1000 Mile on it now and loved every minute.
Will probably go full next time but Hardtails are still great fun you can get more spec for your budget.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles