Glasses lens colours?

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Bit of a newbie question I suppose as I just bought my first pair of glasses. They have interchangeable lenses with different colours. The dark polarized ones are obviously for good bright sunny days but what about the others?
I thinks there's clear, yellow, blue and brown.

What should I be wearing and when?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
They were introduced to help people display their sexual and gender identity whilst out riding.

From wikipedia :

The LGBT Lens kits are normally identified as such :

L - Light, normally clear lenses - Lesbian.
G - Green, though often appearing yellow - Gay.
B - Blue - Bi-Sexual.
T - Tinted/Brown/Dark - Transgender.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
They were introduced to help people display their sexual and gender identity whilst out riding.

From wikipedia :

L - light, normally clear lenses - Lesbian.
B - Blue - Bi-Sexual.
T - Tinted - Transgender.
Seems whatever colour I'm doomed :ROFLMAO:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ok .. So Yellow are generally better at helping highlight colours and objects in low light. I'm colour blind and I find they often have the opposite effect, so something to take into account.

This site gives a pretty good overview and saves me typing crap :)

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Ok .. So Yellow are generally better at helping highlight colours and objects in low light. I'm colour blind and I find they often have the opposite effect, so something to take into account.

This site gives a pretty good overview and saves me typing crap :)

Looks good, I'll have a look later (y)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yellow & orange tend to be quite good in low light conditions such as in the forest. I use tinted visors on my motorbike helmets too, especially in winter

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Whoa …never knew about the Wikipedia categories. Gonna make some better choices on lenses from now on.
Im sure everyone has a collection of riding glasses/goggles but I find the clear lenses for all round conditions. Riders* seem to fit me best with no-frame at the top. But they do transition and can be a problem when riding on a sunny day through the forest. The strobing light effect doesn’t change fast enough for these lenses. Clear lenses for me. (Heavily influence by Wiki).

527A4686-55EE-4B67-A9D6-E6F3741A5A21.jpeg

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain

From wikipedia :

L - Light, normally clear lenses - Lesbian.
B - Blue - Bi-Sexual.
T - Tinted/Brown/Dark - Transgender.
WTF. You do know you've left out another 150> genders?!:rolleyes: boomer!

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
They have interchangeable lenses with different colours. The dark polarized ones are obviously for good bright sunny days but what about the others? I thinks there's clear, yellow, blue and brown.

Polarized lenses suck for mountain biking. On the trails, rarely to we experience the kind of glare that might be encountered by a roadie or a driver. The worst part is that the polarized light can create perception oddities, making it harder to pick out features on the trail, especially when rolling fast and technical.

Nor am I a fan of dark lenses. When traveling at high speed in bright light and heading into a dark shaded area, sometimes it's impossible to see what's right in front of you. Clear trail? Sharp turn? Giant rocks? A lighter lens will protect your eyes from intense light and also allow you to see into the shadows.

Personally, I like Oakley's photochromic lenses. In dim light, they're almost as transparent as a clear lens. In bright sunshine, they're fairly dark. Regardless of what you get, UVA and UVB protection is a must.

shredjim

May 5, 2021
White Salmon, WA
I’ve been mountain biking for 3 decades and will never ride without glasses. If you ride in the woods go with clear lenses. Anything else and you will have trouble seeing what you need to see. Most high quality clear lenses have enough UV protection that the periods of sunlight you will experience will not be problematic. I put dark lenses in my frames on days I will be entirely out of trees. Also, I don’t use my ride glasses for anything else. They stay in my ride kit bag and only get used for cycling. That way I always know where they are because as I said, I will never ride without glasses!

Glenn

Mar 15, 2020
Derby
I'm a bloke and wear clear glasses, but if i were a woman i would definitely be a Lesbian so there must be something in it.................

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
I opted for the Oakley EV Advancer and their Prizm Trail Torch lens. Ideal for a sunny summer day in the forest although too dark for winter so I got a spare lens in the Prizm Low Light which I find to be perfect in overcast conditions

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I'm a cheapskate and just have some $20 sunnies but being red green colour blind I find blue tint the best for me in all conditions. Typical brown tint messes with my vision amongst the trees and fauna.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles