Votes: 30 35.7%
  • None

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I wonder if if comes with a HUD?
Look’s warm though but no option for chiclet-protection. “Call Me Maverick”.
My buddy has some pretty sick Oakley goggles for snowboarding with the HUD, it gives speed, direction, time in the air etc. it’s cool but they’re expensive as hell for goggles. I think he paid $600 for them back when they first came out.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’m still looking for something that doesn’t distort my vision. My eye surgery lasted about 10 years and I’m back in glasses again. I’ve tried a few different options so far and they’ve all made me dizzy/sick feeling from the lens distortion.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I’m still looking for something that doesn’t distort my vision. My eye surgery lasted about 10 years and I’m back in glasses again. I’ve tried a few different options so far and they’ve all made me dizzy/sick feeling from the lens distortion.

Can you wear contact lenses?

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

Like you, I'm really picky about distortion and clarity. For casual activities like driving and impressing Shielas as you flex by the pool, Maui Jim is the best. For shredding trails and impressing Shielas as you whip it across the road gap, look no further than Oakley.

Maui Jims aren't quite rugged enough for hard use on the mountain bike. When wearing the flamboyant styles and colors of Oakleys in a casual environment, people might mistake you for Elton John.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Oakleys are famed for the clarity of their lenses. Have you given them a go? You could try the non-prescription ones in a shop, just to test the basic claim.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
My smith goggles are great but the helmet is crap!

1683056496517.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Oakleys are famed for the clarity of their lenses. Have you given them a go? You could try the non-prescription ones in a shop, just to test the basic claim.
both Oakley and Smith lenses are optically corrected and contrast enhancing............you get what you pay for with glasses and goggles sadly.
One other reason I choose to wear goggles is to protect my eyes from cold winds which make them water like a tap!! If you choose to wear goggles the most important thing I have found, a part from lens quality and comfort, is that the helmet you wear them with can easilly stash the goggles between the brow and visor.

One thing missing from every brand of goggles I have seen is an attachment on the goggle that makes it easier to left them up on the helmet with one hand.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
And goggles fog up when you’re stationary? Glasses allow blow by round the nose into the eye making your eyes run, and fall off?

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I have an insert for goggles, but I find it distorts my vision a bit, so very rarely wear them. They happen to be the smith goggles posted above…

Okay, so I’m not the only one.

Can’t wear my prescription glasses with a full face so ordered prescription inserts to place inside Smith googles.

The view felt quite distorted at first. I wasn’t sure I wanted to ride with them again. I’ve since ridden with them a couple of more times and each time I get used to them a little quicker.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Depends on the ride for me. I'm lucky in that one of my best mates is a rep for Oakley so I can get anything at 50-70% off.

I have Oakley fall line MX Goggles with Trail Torch lenses for downhill/Park laps with the full face.

Then I have 2 pairs of Oakley Flak 2.0XL with prescription lenses. One with Prizim MTB Trail Torch and the other with Prizim Road.

B6126AF0-1904-4F34-9164-6E7ACA7FD522.jpeg

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
I wear varifocal prescription glasses so have struggled finding a riding solution other than just wearing my normal glasses. The trouble with varifocal lenses is they don't work in wrap around frames. I've resorted to using 100% over the glasses goggles. They take a bit of positioning at the start of the ride and to remove but at least I can read signposts, watch, etc on the ride. My eyes also water like hell on any downhill so goggles definitely help that too.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
??? Smith MTB goggles have open vents on the top which match the vents in the Smith full face hlemet............there is no foam!!
Oakley Airbrake MTB-version has also just a net instead of foam. Will see next season how it works in downhill biking.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I wear varifocal prescription glasses so have struggled finding a riding solution other than just wearing my normal glasses. The trouble with varifocal lenses is they don't work in wrap around frames. I've resorted to using 100% over the glasses goggles. They take a bit of positioning at the start of the ride and to remove but at least I can read signposts, watch, etc on the ride. My eyes also water like hell on any downhill so goggles definitely help that too.
I’m in exactly the same boat in all what you have described, I tried 100% goggles too but just couldn’t get them comfortable enough to ride so gave up, I’m getting ready for some new glasses very soon, I might try again and see how it feels 👍

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
I’m in exactly the same boat in all what you have described, I tried 100% goggles too but just couldn’t get them comfortable enough to ride so gave up, I’m getting ready for some new glasses very soon, I might try again and see how it feels 👍
I had a pair of sports glasses made with just my distance prescription which are fine until you realise how much you look at your phone, signposts for directions and can't read them. My daily glasses are pretty small so I can get the fit with the OTG goggles but they take a bit of adjustment.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Vision was -4.25/-4.5, but after Lasik eye surgery many years ago still have 20/16 vision and only wear glasses for close up work/reading. Do watersports and wearing glasses is a nightmare.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Vision was -4.25/-4.5, but after Lasik eye surgery many years ago I have 20/16 vision and only wear glasses for close up work/reading.
I got LASIK at 32 and was back in glasses by 40, granted I’m only at -1.25/-1.00 vs the -4.75/4.50 that I was before. I’ve debated getting the surgery again but don’t know if it would be a waste of money.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I got LASIK at 32 and was back in glasses by 40, granted I’m only at -1.25/-1.00 vs the -4.75/4.50 that I was before. I’ve debated getting the surgery again but don’t know if it would be a waste of money.
Was told that better to have Lasik in 40's (or later) when vision has stabilised, which probably means when vision generally starts becoming longer sighted due to weakening eye muscles. Always wear glasses when working on large monitor or even tablet (like now).

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’ve been thinking about ordering the Alleycats with the prescription inserts. Wish I could try them out to see if the inserts distort my vision or not, it’s a £250 gamble.
I don’t know about Alleycats but a lot of those inserts only allow for a small size lens

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I too wear varifocal specs, but I order my Oakley lenses with single vision. Not only is it cheaper but I don't actually need the short distance part of the lenses when riding my bike.

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
is depends if i ride hardrock trails, if its rain, if is too cold, if i ride with a family or If i ride in bikepark

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles