Prescription glasses

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I have seen some Oakley prescription sun glasses that are marketed as "directly glazed". Does this mean that they do not need those clip on inserts that make you look like someone in a Benny Hill sketch? I have also seen posts on here saying that people have them with a varifocal prescription, Steve Sordy, perhaps? If so where do you get them from?

Al

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes, directly glazed, not clip-ons.

I use varifocals for my normal specs, but opted for the single vision version on the Oakley Prescription specs. It works for me as I can still read the display on the bars; its the long distance stuff I need to prescription for. And it was cheaper of course.

I didn't go to Oakleys for my Straitjackets, I got them from "The Internet Opticians"

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I have seen some Oakley prescription sun glasses that are marketed as "directly glazed". Does this mean that they do not need those clip on inserts that make you look like someone in a Benny Hill sketch? I have also seen posts on here saying that people have them with a varifocal prescription, Steve Sordy, perhaps? If so where do you get them from?

Al

I also have Oakleys prescription, transitions (not varifocal) directly glazed, which I have had for a few years.

They have been excellent for all outdoor activities, and whilst they are very expensive they have very good optics, far clearer than standard lenses from high street shops, and the transitions lenses are good in all conditions.

I used:

I got some sample frames (with plain glass 'lenses') from them first and found that the clip on inserts were too close to my face, so they were very uncomfortable and steamed up instantly.

When I decided on the direct glazed ones I paid extra for the ventilated lenses which let air in round the side of the lense to help prevent steaming up.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Yes, directly glazed, not clip-ons.

I use varifocals for my normal specs, but opted for the single vision version on the Oakley Prescription specs. It works for me as I can still read the display on the bars; its the long distance stuff I need to prescription for. And it was cheaper of course.

I didn't go to Oakleys for my Straitjackets, I got them from "The Internet Opticians"

Steve have you got Oakley Jawbreakers ? Have you a picture of them ? Thanks Geoff

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Steve have you got Oakley Jawbreakers ? Have you a picture of them ? Thanks Geoff
Nope, they are Straitjackets.
Brilliant specs! I trod on them once, felt them crunch! When I lifted my foot I expected them to be broken beyond repair, but the side-arms had just popped off the frame and just had to be popped back on again. The frame had just flexed under my foot and the lenses stayed in place. 100% OK after a few seconds.

Oakley Straitjacket.jpg

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks Steve I’ll have another look. I couldn’t find them on the site you linked. Maybe I need glasses!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks Steve I’ll have another look. I couldn’t find them on the site you linked. Maybe I need glasses!
It was a while ago, maybe that site doesn't sell them anymore. What I did was to identify which specs I wanted, frames, lenses, finishes etc. Then Goggled until I found someone that did them (+prescription) cheaper.

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
I buy safety glasses that are readers with a +2.0 section at the lower corner. This works well enough with displays on the bike. I pay less than $20 per pair and so I have ones that are clear, have a yellow tint, and ones that are dark gray. They fit well enough to keep wind and dirt from coming from my cheek bones to me eyes and provide side coverage and protection as well. Not difficult to find these and most have 100% UV A and UV B protection.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Rad8 here, varifocal and transitions lenses, go clear enough for night riding. Had them 2 years now, broke frames twice and got free replacements, I wear them work rest and play. Excellent customer service. £250.00

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I buy safety glasses that are readers with a +2.0 section at the lower corner. This works well enough with displays on the bike. I pay less than $20 per pair and so I have ones that are clear, have a yellow tint, and ones that are dark gray. They fit well enough to keep wind and dirt from coming from my cheek bones to me eyes and provide side coverage and protection as well. Not difficult to find these and most have 100% UV A and UV B protection.
Have you seen these?
Being photochromic means you always have the right lens for the light conditions even night riding. I have a pair but I only wear them on my roadbike. (I hardly ever look at my Garmin display when riding mtb)

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
I just posted this on another thread, but thought it was also relevant to this one.
For those getting a little older and having challenges reading the bike display or phone out on a trail, but don’t need long sight correction, I’d recommend BZ Optics (link below). I do a fair bit of night and day riding, and these change from clear to medium tint, and I haven’t destroyed a pair of reading glasses in my pocket since getting these. They do full prescription bifocals also, but are a lot more expensive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles